Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

ITV has it on their website. I'm watching it now.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

3. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I thought it was fantastic. :cheer2:

4. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Loved the first episode!! Thank goodness for the Internet.

I agree with those who thought it was more on par with Season 1, and more :cheer: for Maggie Smith.

5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :) expat shield is a lifesaver :)

And I loved the scene with the morning coat.

6. Marilou

Marilou New Member

Just downloaded Expat so I could watch.... It was AWESOME!!!:D:D:D

7. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I wonder how much fun she and Shirley Maclaine had during taping? :lol:

8. Marilou

Marilou New Member

Anybody watch this week's episode?

9. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

Yup. Loved Mc Laines lines, but the episode itself wasn't one to remember, I think.

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm nervous for that 'fashionably late' comment in the clips for next week's episode.

11. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I'm scared for Edith. She deserves some unsullied happiness for once. Let the writers pick on someone else, like Sybil, who seems to have coasted through the show with very little hindrance so far.

12. vesperholly

I looked up the actor who plays Sir Anthony on IMDB, and he's shown as being cast in all the Season 3 episodes. I think Edith's OK.

13. D&Sfan4ever

Oh, you wait 'till 1922, her husband is way to vocal about the irish cause to escape unharmed, to say the least.

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

LOL, thanks Vesperholly!

15. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

The producers of Downton Abbey are planning a prequel!!!! :D

16. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

17. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

18. D&Sfan4ever

OH.MY.GOD

Do the writers really hate Edith that much?
    I somehow knew She wouldn't get married to her old suitor, but come on, was it really necesary to have him leave her right at the altar, in front of everyone?
    I really hope She end up marrying a Duke or something, the poor girl needs a brake ASAP

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  19. Spareoom

Poor Edith. Really writers, that was too cruel. Love was so GOOD for her; she was happy and mellow and reasonable and wasn't getting up into people's business. Her attitude the day after her "wedding" was reminiscent of the "old Edith" who was grumpy and ticked off and had way too much time on her hands and liked meddling. Please, can we get a hot young gentleman to come in and woo her? Bonus points if Mary works her tail off to help make it happen. Mary isn't exactly the most caring person out there but she's matured a bit over the last few seasons and I hope sympathy for her sister will push her to extend herself a bit more than she's willing to.

The tying up of the money plot was a little "too" neat but it was sufficent. I admit that the instant Mary started reading that letter, I thought she had forged it. It's not beyond her by any means. Good for Matthew for stating the obvious, too, but I'm glad he trusted her enough to believe that she didn't do it. I guess they'd make an awful married couple if they were pulling stunts like that already. :p Although I do think that Mary would have at least considered faking the letter had the real one not been so agreeable.

Looks like the troubles for Sybil and Branson are coming, just like everyone said. :p ;) Can't really say that I care.

20. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I love Sybil and Branson, but I love the drama because they need something to shake them up a bit.

21. vesperholly

ARE YOU FECKING KIDDING ME! :mad::mad::mad:

I am so furious for Edith. The writers have done nothing but crap on her from Day 1. Saint Mary eventually gets everything she wants, and Saint Matthew is nothing but a walking rabbit's foot. This is ridiculous. I think the show may have finally jumped the shark for me, like Glee did when Rachel and Finn got engaged at 17. I still watch, but I won't care.

22. znachki

znachki Active Member

OK - I'm spoiling myself on this, because we don't get the show until later but:

WHY?? Why did her leave her at the altar? Is it this letter you speak of?

Thanks to anyone who will answer.

23. Marilou

Marilou New Member

In a nut shell, the family got to him - In their eyes, he was too old and crippled and would ruin Edith's life if she married him and had to care for him
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

24. moojja

moojja Active Member

What I don't get is why? In the first season they were fine with him marrying Edith or even Mary (even if he wasn't their first choice). It's not like the age gap has changed. Is it just b/c of the arm. That's pretty small thing compared to Matthew's legs.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

Which I still find absolutely ridiculous. Suspension of disbelief is right. So not only is Matthew recovered from his injuries and able to have children, but he's in relatively NO pain at all or even affected by any of his injuries? It may as well never have happened or did William dying proved to be the ultimate sacrifice to give perfect, upstanding Matthew a real life with St. Mary who always gets what she wants if she'd only cry about it enough.

26. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

But don't forget a ton of time has passed since pre-WWI, when they were ok with her marrying an older widower. Prior to the War, they might have expected that he would be healthy enough until their children reached adulthood. Marrying someone at 40 is different than marrying him at 50.

27. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the updates, much appreciated!

28. VIETgrlTerifa

But then the women would also be older, right? Wouldn't they just be happy that Edith get someone who fit the bill in every way except being "an invalid" considering her age if all that time passing explains their change of tune?

29. Spareoom

In the episode before this one, I thought Edith was being pretty mature and realistic about the situation to her father when he told Lord Strallen to go packing. She said something along the lines about how so many young men had been killed during the war and she wanted to take her chances at happiness while it was still there. It seemed to make an impression on Lord Grantham, but now he seems to have forgotten all about it. As much as I'd like Edith to marry someone fabulously rich, handsome and charming, I imagine those men were in short supply post-WWI!

I don't GET the Grantham's sometime. The MIL was right; they need a slap about the head and an admonition to remember that the world is changing.

Speaking of which, isn't Matthew going to inherit all of Downton Abbey eventually anyway? He has as much of a vested interested in seeing the place succeed as Mary does, but he seemed to treat the whole thing as if it wasn't his problem. It's a large chunk of his inheritance, and while he's definitely independently well-off, one would think he'd want to consider the long-term consequences of letting Downton go. And I don't get the whole "You'll invest in the place and it will become yours as well as mine" talk. It was going to become his anyway, so why the fuss? :p

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Poor Daisy - her promotion comes at the expense of her burgeoning love interest.