Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

2. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

"Thank you for coming, Monsignor." :rofl:

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I might make that my avatar when it comes closer to season 3 on this side of the pond. :D

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

And you could also buy the T shirt. :lol:

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Nice. Is little sis not in the photo (is it Lady Sibyl?)

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Nope, she's there, on the left in the tealish dress, beside/behind her "other" grandmother (Shirley MacLaine); Mary and Edith are together on the right.

7. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

You lucky Brits! You get season 3 tomorrow and we have to wait until January.

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, only those who don't know where to look. ;) I'm looking forward to the premiere tomorrow!

9. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

^^Can someone shed some light on this? January is a long way away.

10. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I can't wait until Jan. I really miss this show.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol: Cute, but I'm too busy trying to free someone else. (That's Finch from Person of Interest, for the uninitiated.)

12. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

my mum lent me the season 1 and then season two started the next week on pbs- so for methe wait has been VERYlong!! lol
    hope it is even better !!!!

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That is a really really good example of bad Photoshopping. Creepy looking. They couldn't get the whole cast in costume all at once and take a few shots?

14. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Anyone see it? I was lucky enough to catch a live stream that ended about a half hour ago, but I really don't want to spoil here unless I'm absolutely sure it's allowed and that everyone here doesn't mind. On that note, I'll just tell you that the episode was fab. :D

15. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I want spoilers! I was unlucky enough to miss the live feed even though I can get it...grrrr

16. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

For those who downloaded the expat shield during the Olympics. I'm fairly certain it will work, and you can watch Downton when ITV puts it online.

17. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

Ohhhh! Please tell me how to download the expat shield.

18. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

19. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

HOW????

20. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I just watched it online. :D I did the same thing last year. It was good, but a bit too earnest.

21. Spareoom

Oh phew...

They got Mary and Matthew to the alter. I was beginning to be afraid that they would never get there after all the drama of the last two seasons. But I'm sure the sparks will still fly even though they are married, lol.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this season! I like it when the main force that threatens Downton is something more or less out of their control (in S2 it was the war, now it's impending bankruptcy). Much better than ALL the drama and plot coming from people bickering and doing stupid things. I mean, they still bicker and do stupid things, but now they can't blame ALL their troubles on the behaviors of each other, which S1 definitely had a lot of. Imagine, if everyone had minded their own business, S1 would have fit in span of one episode. ;)

22. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thanks, much appreciated!

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for the internet, otherwise I'd have to wait until January to see this show. I was a bit :blah: about the second season overall outside the Christmas episode, but I still liked it enough (loved the first season) to see what season 3 would be like.

I hope the season continues on this path. I was getting sick of the will they/won't they of Matthew and Mary. I think the viewers will enjoy what the writers have cooked up to make their relationship intriguing now that we've gotten past that hurdle which seemed to last forever in season 2. I'm glad Sybil and Tom are back (after being missing during the Christmas episode). We often get these storylines of the third daughter marrying "beneath" her station, but we never really get to see the aftermath. I'm curious to see how these two handle it. It's amazing how much more I like Lady Edith since the first season. I think the show did a great job growing her up. Shirley Maclaine and Maggie Smith sniping at each other would have been worth the price of admission had it been on stage.

24. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

Just got done watching on the internet. I'm so glad I don't have to wait till January! It was great fun!

25. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Thank goodness Maggie Smith is back on my telly :swoon:

Her line to Branson when he said he wasn't going to wear tails/morning suit was just classic:

Dowager Countess - "Have you finished"
    Branson - "Yes"
    Dowager Countess - "Take your coat off"

:rofl:

26. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Thanks for the spoiilers. I have expat shield, but wasn't home when the show aired. Forgot what time it was in England, lol!!

27. Spareoom

My thoughts regarding Branson:

I think he needs a LEETLE bit of an attitude adjustment. I understand where he's coming from, and he certainly shouldn't be throwing himself at the Granthams in an effort to suck up to them, but it wouldn't hurt to try and meet them a little halfway. He's not the only one who is in a very uncomfortable position, but unlike himself, the Granthams are actually trying to include him as best they can. When he made comment after comment about how uncomfortable he was (in particular regarding the suit they made him wear for the wedding) I wanted to shake him and say, "Dude, suck it up and be a MAN; life is not always about being comfortable!" Sometimes you need to need to make adjustments based on the situation, out of kindness and for the sake of the people you love, in particular his wife, but he seemed to be all "my way or the highway". Rubbed me a bit wrong, but I liked how he and Matthew got along well. I'm hoping that as the series progresses, Branson will loosen up a bit and at least meet them halfway.

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I guess the idea of Irish oppression and many see as genocide can make anyone uppity. ;)

29. floskate

floskate Vacant

Brilliant opening to Season 3 last night - much more on a par with Season 1 from a writing perspective.

30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

But I don't think the wedding suit had oppressed the Irish, had it? ;)