Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

"ASSASSIN!"

2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^ Thanks for that link! That's definitely quite a hat she's wearing -- and quite the imperious expression. :drama:

How will I be able to endure the wait until Season 3 is broadcast? :( :lol:

4. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

Can anybody translate Maggie Smith's comment (in french) about Lord Hempworth's father?

5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm finding it unbearable, too!

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

7. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?..." = "Where are the snows of yesteryear?..."

8. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Especially when they note ITV hasn't even commissioned a 4th or 5th series yet so there may not be anything to come back to! And all the cast are back for series 3. Basically, a few actors are committed in advance, while others are apparently waiting.

Though really, while I'd be ANNOYED TO PIECES if instead of letting them be reasonably happy they saddled up the drama llama again and got rid of Matthew, if the series is REALLY aiming to end around WWII, they can't reasonably keep the Dowager Countess around forever.

10. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the original aim was always for 3 series. I suspect that ITV are working on Julian Fellowes to write series 4 & 5 - there is no guarentee they will get them and I suspect they are feeling out the cast to see who would be interested in additional series. I'm not too worried about this just yet :)

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    This!

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

They can keep the actors they want as long as they want - they can always do flashbacks and prequels. If people leave, they can just bring in new actors as younger versions or long lost relatives, or whatever. They can even bring people back from the dead in dreams and hallucinations. Soaps have no limits, although I'm guess Downton Abbey won't go the cryogenics or vampire route.

13. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I don't want Mary without Matthew. Period.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Wyliefan

I could vote for cryogenics if it means keeping Violet around. :D

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

There's good potential if they were to go the vampire route, as well. Violet the Coven Mistress? They have to keep Maggie Smith around if they know what's good for the show.

16. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

How about they have her play a older version of her Daughter?:D

17. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Dame Maggie's a smart old dame :)duh:), she's probably holding out for more dough. ;)

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

As much as I love Downton Abbey ... I really hope they don't try to drag things on forever. The greatest thing about BritTV over AmericanTV is that, traditionally, British series go for quality over quantity -- 6 to 12 episodes a season, rarely more than 3 seasons and sometimes not even that. There's the odd series that breaks the rule successfully (Midsomer comes to mind), but the others that try to drag on end up just dragging (Heartbeat, BallyK, and Monarch of the Glen to name but 3).

I'd much rather Downton Abbey go out on a high note than try to cash in on its popularity and go on indefinitely.

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Now that's Mary's situation is "settled" and all is right with that part of the world, I hope we see Edith and that older widower who injured his arm in the war get together.

More because I like his character then hers, lol.

Regarding the likelihood of my earlier post, I'm just glad to have had a reason to bump up this thread :)

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. aliceanne

I know what you mean. That is why I liked the British "The Office" better. Once Tim and Dawn got together it ended. That was what we were waiting to find out. We also didn't have to wade through all the time they were apart.

21. danceronice

They can't if the actors don't sign. (And for all the 'soapy' elements I'd hope they have a better standard for plots than the "vaguely similar twin brother" route. It's Downton Abbey, not Coronation Street.)

22. Civic

Civic New Member

IIRC, this is a line from a 15th century French poem by Francois Villon.

23. aliceanne

They have gone for most of the standard soap cliches so far. Crippled for life/but not really, amnesia victim, romantic interest/but not really (Lavinia), appealingly rich but appallingly crooked suitor (Sir Richard), perpetual bad timing (he wants her/she doesn't want him, oh wait she does, but now he doesn't).

24. danceronice

Sort of, but not with the usual writing or acting level that implies. (And DEFINITELY not the production value.) Plus allowing the actors/characters to age, die, etc. And there hasn't been anything completely implausible. The reason "Patrick" even gets a toehold in is because, while his post-Titanic amnesia story is a hard sell, being mutliated beyond physical recognition? Take a number, guy, this is World War I. Plus, Matthew's injury was plausible if improbable. Meanwhile Bates/Anna is less soap opera than the plot of one of any number of vaguely inter-war-period mystery novels. (Seriously, at this point I would totally believe Lord Peter Wimsey showing up at Downton to straighten it all out.) And, of course, finally someone uses the Spanish Flu (which DID kill you just that fast) besides freakin' Twilight.

My biggest issue with the Ouija board, meanwhile, isn't that it was 'helpful' (Mrs. Patmore was BLATANTLY pushing it for Daisy's "message", while with Anna, it could very well be someone's subconscious.) It was that apparently the spirits of Downton are champion speed-spellers.

And so far, they have NOT tried to pull an actor switch. And characters who leave, leave, at least as far as people like Gwen go. (And Jane and Ethel, one can hope. In a soap they'd be all the same character anyway.)

25. aliceanne

I'll give you the production values and the acting, but I'm disappointed in the writing. I think it would be a more interesting drama if some of the character's choices had lasting consequences and they had to deal with it.

26. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Apparently Downton Abbey and cast were a huge hit at the Television Critics Association convention in Beverly Hills yesterday. They didn't reveal a lot about season three but that it will return on PBS January 6th, and that there are one or two :yikes: moments.

But the best part, IMO? FREE BATES! Scroll down for the pic...totally worth it. :rofl:

27. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

:rofl: Loved it!

28. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckle!

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

January can't come soon enough!

30. Wyliefan

Oh, I wish!!