Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Sorry, I tried to get into this, but could not.

2. soxxy

soxxy Guest

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I watched a couple of episodes and lost interest. It is like the afternoon soaps - they keep adding diversions to drag out the main plot, which is whether the romantic leads will get together.

I find the FSU thread and the SNL Spike TV parody entertaining though.

4. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

YouÂ’re not alone...

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The first season was profoundly better than the second, which got really cliched really quickly.

Is the "season finale" the Christmas episode, or is that being aired later?

6. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

It's the Christmas episode.

7. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I have a question about the funeral (Lavinia's).

There was a time when women did not attend funerals - especially the graveside services. Does anyone know when this practice started to change. Had it changed by the end of World War I?

8. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Or you could don the black velvet smoking jacket with scarlet collar (5:00 min. mark), invite FSU friends over, and watch skating. :cool: No smoking! ;)

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i would go to a black tie viewing of worlds

of course, we would need 25 laptops set up with IN in one place

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I'll bring the powerstrips and deviled eggs. :40beers:

12. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

13. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

A very picturesque and romantic proposal

Carlisle to the Dowager Countess: "I doubt we will see each other again
    Dowager: "Do you promise?"
    Bwhaha!

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

I like this episode better. Even carlisle shows a human moment when he leaves
    Anna is so sharp and observant she really should be Mrs Hughes' successor
    She really deserves better than Bates imho

Thomas is really too dumb to lie or do anuthing underhand
    I am glad that DAisy gets some good advice for once from W's dad
    Mary's problems are getting old
    Poor Edith again...sigh

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  15. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

This episode was sort of like a reunion of Hornblower actors: William's dad, Edith's old suitor and Bates' solicitor, all Hornblower alumni.

I don't understand how the prosecutor at the trial knew to ask the questions he asked. How would he have known, for example, the comment Bates had made to Lord Grantham about "the late Mrs. Bates?" Who would have told him that? He seemed with all three witnesses to be fishing for particular answers, and I don't see how he could have known about them except from Bates. If so, then in the words of a previous poster, Bates really is too dumb to live.

16. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Maggie Smith got all the best lines.

17. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Thomas is lucky that Isis didn't bite him in the ass. This is why animals are better than people!

18. Civic

Civic New Member

I missed the first 20 minutes of tonight's episode. Who was the brunette servant who was shagging Lady Rosamund's beau? What was her position at Downton? Also, what happened with Edith?

19. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

That was Lady Rosamund's personal maid :eek: Just can't get the help these days ;)

20. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

That Ouija board scene with Mrs. P was hilarious, largely due to the expression on Thomas'face :)
    I'm happy Daisy finally has found peace with her relationship with William. The exchange between her and William's father (and the Dowager Countess) was very sweet.

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a little more development of Thomas's love life in the coming season. Being gay in this time period would lead to an entire extra level of intrigue

Plus, he's all sorts of :EVILLE: so that would make it all the more worth watching.

A softer side to Ms. O'Brien?

22. my little pony

once he turned on the isis, all i want to see is thomas torn apart by the hunting dogs

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

1 to hook up to the big-screen TV so we can see it BIG and 24 for FSU PBP/snarking?

24. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I was literally clutching the arm of the couch until Isis returned. :dog:

Though the scene between Lord Robert and a mush disheveled Thomas kind of made the former look like a doofus. After all of Thomas' shenanigans, one would have thought that LR would smell something fishy.

Dame Maggie's comments after the library fight = :rofl: & :respec:

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Thomas: "Do I say something? Do I go with it?"

I hope Thomas has learned his lesson about these Marx-Brothers-worthy wacky hijinx. He's failed miserably as a blackmailer, a draft dodger, a black marketeer, and now as dognapper (though that one paid off, through sheer dumb luck.) The Crowleys, particularly the Earl, have shown themselves over and over to be forgiving employers to the point of absurdity at times. If he GENUINELY straightens up his act, he could wind up a valet as let's face it, Bates is not coming back one way or another (if only out of his own stupid pride.)

Thomas also has two problems with his love life: one, he's gay, and two, he's a servant. The Crowleys, again, were VERY understanding about Bates and Anna, but that's unusual circumstances and they were planning to leave eventually.

I want to be the Dowager Countess when I grow up.

I have been wondering when Daisy would get some recognition. She is clearly not doing a scullery maid's work any more (letting a scullery maid cook would be like letting the dishwasher expedite a dinner service, just not a good plan.) But she also isn't especially assertive.

I have to add: Apparently the spirits of Downton are the fastest spellers in the history of Ouija boards.

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

She wanted to rekindle her relationship with Sir Anthony, but since he lost the use of an arm in the war, he basically said no. Now that I'm injured, in addition to being too old for you, I can't do that to you.

Lady Violet made an obeservation at one point that Edith wanted to keep on nursing, even after the war ended.

I'm surprised that she was so friendly when she saw Thomas later. I was hoping she'd grwol at him. That would've done the trick.

My alternate theory is that she dies - in childbirth. That would open up a whole bunch of angsty goodness.

You know, I decided that Bates problem is that too much of Grantham has rubbed off on him. He's too honorable for his station in life. He has no power to back it up.

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

An older friend said that Lady Sybil reminded him of the young Elizabeth Taylor. I'm not sure I've seen enough of young Elizabeth's films to agree or disagree.

28. my little pony

lady sybil looks exactly like my friend mary and all 6 (yes 6) of her children incl the boys. however, mary hates the show because "pamuk raped mary."

oh the things you learn about people but never would have known if they hadnt invented facebook

does it matter if sir anthony is 1 handed if he gets an octogenarian to make his tea?

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

LOL, she's a Labrador Retriever. She was probably saying "HI NICE MAN WHO TOOK ME FOR WALK AND PUT ME IN HOUSE THAT SMELLS LIKE GUNPOWDER AND BIRD BLOOD! GO AGAIN?"

Bates's problem appeared to be that 1. he didn't understand the meaning of "you do not have to say anything" (the caution they gave him was authentic) and his/Lord Grantham's solicitor (the lawyer speaking to them--the ones representing him actively in the trial are called barristers and the solicitor engaged them; I don't know if THEY could speak to prosecution witnesses) did NOT explain to Robert, O'Brien, and Mrs. Hughes that while you must answer honestly you NEVER EVER volunteer more information than is asked for. All Robert, for example, had to say was he remembered Bates saying he wished she were the ex-Mrs. Bates. If the Crown pressed the point (clearly they had some idea about it, as apparently no one told Bates about his right not to incriminate himself) he only had to say that's what he remembered Bates saying. Which is true. Just selective.

Frankly I'm surprised they apparently convinced Anna pretty fast not to testify (spousal privilege is absolute--it doesn't matter what they want to ask her about, the Crown can't call her--but she COULD volunteer to testify for the defence. That would open it up for the Crown to cross, though.) I was half-expecting her to demand to be allowed to try and prove his innocence.

Heck, apparently it never occurred to Mary, and Robert and Matthew didn't know at the time, to tell them about the arrangement with Sir Richard, but then again that leaves Mary open to scandal. Huh, while Mary isn't exactly educated in law and it might not have occurred to her, it might have occurred to Sir Richard while he was killing the story that HE knew quite a bit about Vera and what sort of person she was. But then he risks 'outing' Mary...plus either Anna and Bates didn't tell the solicitor or there is absolutely no evidence that Vera was the real thief. But really, no one from his old regiment remembered his nutty wife who also fooled around? No one thought to bring up her current infidelity (which Bates knew about as he was using it as grounds for the divorce) to show Vera was an unstable loon who might well have killed herself, which is what the defence should have been doing. Bates not explaining what a nut she was is taking not speaking ill of the dead way too far.

30. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I was surprised and pleased by Mary and Matthew becoming engaged at the end.
    Ended the season on a good note. But something will probably go wrong next season, unless they want to bring their children into to show so they can be killed off in WW2.
    I really thought Bates would be hung. I was happy but surprised when he wasn't.
    Did you see the background special after the show was over?
    Most of the actors were interviewed and it showed scene's being shot.
    I was most surprised to learn that Dour Branson, was a outgoing funny adorable guy in real life. For that matter, so was Sibil. She was so funny talking about how she couldn't wait for them to kiss. By the way, she is even twice as Beautiful in real life.
    It was a lot of fun. I can't wait until next season, does anyone know when it is supposed to start?
    Oh, and I was so afraid that something was going to happen to Isis!:eek:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.