Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

plus she was anxious about getting Mary's "situation" settled.

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

The point is less which wedding should come first (though let's face it, Matthew is the heir to Downton and the war hero; Mary at this point is damaged goods and Cora KNOWS that, and marrying down to someone no one really likes-really, as far as marrying a decent man goes Sibyl's done better, and they'd do better to pin their hopes on Edith for a socially-acceptable match now) than her writing off "in a wheelchair and until recently thought crippled for life*" as "lame", like he had a club foot or something. It's also pretty clear that Robert has started to regard Matthew as a surrogate son in a more emotional sense and genuinely feels like he's one of the family. Cora basically comes off sounding like a socialite airhead again, ie the person that Robert had to learn to love, with effort, when they first married. Though obviously he's gotten an emotional shake-up with Cora nearly dying of the flu.

*The "miracle recovery" there actually worked for me, as the modern-medicine explanation would have been more likely that he had a swelling injury pushing on the spine, and eventually (this is taking place over months per episode, after all) when the swelling goes down, the spinal cord isn't severed, meaning things DO work again. NOW we wouldn't miss that, then....

3. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Dear Daisy - if you feel uncomfortable accepting the war widow pension, please just turn it over to William's father. I'm sure it would come in handy as he ages and he no longer has William there to help.

The end.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Spousal priviledge only applies to communication during marriage, and the incident happened before Bates & Anna were married. Anna could, I believe, still be compelled to testify about the scratch on Bates' face when he returned.

But regardless, I don't think Bates is a. guilty or b. that calculating. It just doesn't fit. I agree, though, that he is c. really stupid about all this.

The timeline is pretty wacky, though. We were, what, mid-1918 when the former Mrs. Bates died, and now it's April 1919 and they're arresting him? Are we really to believe that this presumed suicide was left open all that time? And the letter with the incriminating evidence just arrived?

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

And that Mary and Matthew have been dancing around their feelings for SEVEN YEARS? :rolleyes: I don't mind timeline jumps (Alias skipped 2 years between season 2 and 3) as long as they're handled sensibly.

6. danceronice

Um...World War I? They weren't last-minute additions like the Americans. They were kind of stuck with either "plod through the entire flippin' war" or skip quite a bit.

7. danceronice

US law or UK law ca. 1919? Nowdays, he'd only have to worry about a prison sentence and probably they couldn't make it stick...THEN, he's looking at death by hanging.

In any case, I think they won't force Anna to testify--but remember O'Brien eavesdropping? She heard a bad part of the conversation and she might even volunteer the information.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

Bates' problems puzzled me. I mean, this man has proof of his wife's infidelity and still break free? I mean, he has to spend every penny he has to keep Vera quiet about something that's really not his problem (ie Mary)? I mean, really?

Idiot is your name.

9. danceronice

Well, the latter part--I understand THAT. Letting Vera tell the world about Mary's issue is basically flipping the bird to the Earl, who has REALLY gone to bat for Bates many times, up to employing him when no one else would (not only a cripple but a convicted thief, even if we know he was covering for Vera again.) Knowingly throwing the whole family under the bus to make his divorce smooth would be selfish asshattery on a par with Thomas's sociopathy.

OTOH, I'm not clear why Vera was able to block what should have been a pretty one-sided divorce, unless SHE had "evidence" some kind that Bates and Anna were shacking up or some other form of cruelty, and that's not what it sounded like. More a legal technicality.

10. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Yup. I have an adult sibling who is exactly like that.

11. aliceanne

Makes sense to me.

12. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Don't forget Vera said she was threatening to slander Anna too, since the rumor she (correctly) heard involved Anna carrying the body out.

So Bates was going to bat for both Lord Grantham and Anna.

I guess it's just me, but I don't mind the Bates story line at all. I'm more annoyed with the random inclusion of Jane and Ethel.

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing Jane, Ethel and Anna as the Downstairs version of Mary, Edith and Sybil. Kind of a compare and contrast exercise on the roles of women of the times.

If I'm annoyed with anyone it's Matthew who seems to me a very wishy-washy sort of hero. and the Peter/Patrick storyline seemed very abrupt.

But otherwise I'm enjoying the saga, soapsuds and all. :)

14. aliceanne

Lavinia has a vague storyline as well. Matthew obviously got involved with her for SOME reason, but it's not clear what or how. He thought enough of her to keep her picture with him while he was at war, and he asked for her right away when he was recovering from his wounds, but they don't seem to interact much.

She isn't doing much to move along the Matthew/Mary or Richard/Mary stories either. Not sure why she is there.

15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

It's just one serious mess after another for that poor man. Why can't he just have a few normal problems, like dandruff, or ring around the collar? :D

Yes, Ethel is a bore... :blah:

16. danceronice

I would think the parallel's more with Jane (weakest link-Edith and older/married men?), Anna (Mary and her marriage problems), and Gwen (Sibyl-ambitions outside her station), while Ethel contrasts more with Gwen--they both want modern upward moblity, but Ethel wants it handed to her, Gwen set reasonable goals.

I'm really, really hoping that the Patrick storyline is just put off, not dead-ended. As for Matthew, I get he's been traumatized by the war, but the bipolar behavior is annoying as heck. I mean, slow-dancing with Mary and kissing her in front of your fiance is sorta okay but now said fiance is dead, and actually DIED GIVING YOU HER BLESSING and now you're guilt-ridden and angsting? Lavinia should come back from the dead and kick his @$$. Or beat him with the Clue Bat for a while.

17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I hope Patrick comes back, too. A very interesting storyline that was far too short.

18. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I think he had given her large amounts of money if she agreed to the divorce, which appears to negate the agreement. She had informed the Court of that fact.

19. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I just watched the last two episodes back-to-back and of course came to see what y'all think.

I think Matthew is not holding up as a romantic hero, that's what I think. Too much angst and not enough willpower one way or another. Which annoys me because I like complicated romances between complicated people, and god knows Mary is a difficult but interesting lady.

And I sort of liked Jane the maid. She seemed kind and genuinely attached to his lordship, and it was sad to see them do the unquestionably right thing.

The whole burn-victim-missing-heir was too weird for DA, that was a total soap opera excursion and I hope the dude doesn't come back.

And finally, Sybil and Branson are going to have the best marriage of anyone's, sez I. Even when he gets tangled up with the Irish revolutionaries. Those two have what it takes.

20. Artemis@BC

My first thought in the amnesia-back-from-the-dead plot point was "Aha, they've now officially dropped all pretense that they're not a soap opera." :D

Alas, I think their happiness will be short-lived. I don't see the series "showing" their life in Ireland, and I also don't see them writing out one of the sisters (unless Jessica Brown Findlay wants to leave the show). So I suspect they'll kill Branson off somehow in the 1919-21 guerilla war.

21. znachki

znachki Active Member

Bite your tongue :mad: Although, sadly, you are probably right.:(

I do have another possible scenario, but I need to wait until after the next ep, because - Spoilers!

22. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I haven't watched this but want to start - apparently Vision TV is replaying the entire series? Does anyone know the schedule for that?

24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Oh no - I just saw an ad for Downton Abbey, and it said that Sunday is the season finale. :wuzrobbed

:(

25. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

26. Artemis@BC

Try another route if you can. Vision is notorious for chopping for commercials -- I swear they sometimes cut in mid-sentence.

Have you checked your library to see if they have the DVDs?

27. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Take heart! They're filming season 3. Now I'll get back to The Good Wife.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It's at the library, but the hold list is huge - probably a year wait at least.

I'll be grateful for the Vision coverage and look forward to it. It's a whole lot better than nothing and if I really like it I can a) buy it or b) get on the library waiting list to watch it again in about a year.

29. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

The preview for the finale looks great. Sir Richard has a good punch to the jaw coming to him. ;)

I keep wondering if the producers were taking a metaphorical swing at Murdoch with that character, but then I realize I'm being both a news nerd and anachronistic.

30. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Anachronism has often been a very good way of criticising something not too directly. You can deny everything very nicely, if asked.

And great, I love to hate Sir Richard.