Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

I, too, think this series is spiraling downward into more or less a soap opera atmosphere and has lost a lot of the subtle writing that made it so very interesting last year. That said, I still love it!!!!!!:D

Yes, Sir Robert better keep his eyes off that new maid (!) sadly I do think something will "develop" there. :eek:

Mary and Matthew are boring together. :blah: Each of them needs somebody with fire in their personality to allow their own, reserved (and in Mary's case, spoiled) personalities to become more interesting. :kickass:

The issue of how Patrick knew Gordon is very unclear - I was thinking that they met during the war.....something about Princess Patricia's brigade????? What was it? Can't remember now. I don't think we've seen the last of this character.

Hey, don't count Edith out yet in the romance department - I think she'll end up with the happiest match of all the girls. :cool:

The actress who played Vera Bates is in the Titanic special coming up this Spring. Since I completely hated the Cameron "Titanic" movie, I'm hoping for something better with this effort.

DA is going to take the characters through WW2 and then end so there is plenty of time left for answers to our current questions and for more questions to arise.

2. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I seem to remember "Patrick" saying that he knew a Peter Gordon in school. So maybe that is the connection? I settled on that explanation and I am surprised to find so many people speculating about the connection so maybe I heard wrong.

Peaches, Vera Bates is played by Maria Doyle Kennedy who was Catharine of Aragon in The Tudors. Maybe she will go for the Trifecta and play an estranged first wife in the Titanic production.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Since the Titanic went down in 1912, even if they met in the war, that would still mean Patrick didn't die when they claimed. I HOPE we haven't seen the end. (Then again that makeup job has to SUCK for that actor...)

Do NOT get me started on Cameron. I am coming to tolerate the plot, and even appreciate Leo DiCaprio's performance more than I used to (he actually does some very good work, more than the script really deserves) but the treatment of Titanic's officers and crew just sets off my berserk button like you would not believe. (In as much as it is possible to be a fangirl of someone who is 1. a real person and not a fictional character and 2. has been dead since 1952, I'm a huge Lightoller fangirl.) I can got for hours on the subject. In fact I had to promise my boss I will stick to my lecture topic (local survivors) and NOT turn it into "101 Things James Cameron Got Wrong."

Maria Kennedy appears to be playing a fictional character (the name doesn't appear on survivor or victim lists) so hey, maybe this time she plays a wronged first wife, only for variety she teams up with the mistress and they throw her ex-husband out of a lifeboat.

4. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

No, don't get me started on the zillion things wrong that Cameron brought to his film, "Titanic"........:mad:

I saw a photo of Maria Kennedy, in character, for the upcoming special about the Titanic. There was no information about her role in the show.

5. danceronice

It's on IMBD, with "Muriel Batley" as the character's name. That name isn't on any passenger or crew list to which I have easy access at the moment, though of course those aren't all 100% accurrate, but it's easier to deal with fictional people.

And sounds like we could form a support group. I'm just telling myself, if JF is running this show, he will NOT do half the things that Cameron did. (Though I'm dreading the no-thanks-to-Cameron now-inevitable question of an officer suicide...) He has not disappointed yet. Then the evil little voice says "there's always a first time."

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

So...Peaches and Dancer...I take it you're not going to see the new 3D version of Cameron's Titanic then..:D

7. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I can do peaches and dancer one better, I’ve never seen Cameron’s Titanic, nor do I intend to.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. znachki

znachki Active Member

I did see it once. Last Cameron movie I've ever seen.

I remember at the time, that there was a lot of to-do about the fact that it had cost so much money, and "Hollywood" had the knives out. Until the general agreement was that you could see every dollar spent up there on the screen. And it was purty. Which is what my 14 yr old (at the time) nephew said about Avatar. The movie was stupid - but it sure was purty.

Back on topic though,
    Peaches - I agree that the quality has gone down a bit. However, like a lot of these shows, they make a good contained story with no expectation of being renewd. Then, they do and I'm sure there can be a bunch - "Oh, Sh!t! Now what do we do?"

9. danceronice

Well, not least because IMAX and 3-D make me queasy....not going to see The Phantom Menace in 3D, either, and I saw that..um...many times.

I don't despise every single thing about the movie--yes, the plot is simplistic bordering on stupid, and whenever we're dealing with the ships' officers, Ismay, Andrews, the real passenger characters, the rest of the H&W guarantee group who don't exist because the ENTIRE SECOND CLASS doesn't exist (despite "second class male" being the single worst thing you could be if you want to get off the Titanic alive)....I turn into Madeline Khan in "Clue"--"Flames...flames, on the sides of my face..." But the ship is pretty and the dresses are pretty.

But I have CONFIDENCE in Fellowes! Oooh...do you think he'll sneak in a throwaway of Patrick and their other cousin (Patrick's father?) who died? As a little nod to Downton fans?

10. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

That would be cool.
    I Did love the movie because as a Titanic fanatic, I just loved seeing a copy of the ship and seeing some of the real people and history.
    I pretty much ignored the plot.
    On tv it was a big yawn, but, on the big screen, it was breathtaking.

11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Maybe he will get her pregnant, she will have a son, and that will solve the problem of who will inherit Downton Abbey! :D

12. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

No, because she wouldn't be married to Lord Grantham, so the bastard son still wouldn't inherit.

13. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Could a son inherit if Lord Grantham divorced his wife and remarried before the birth? IIRC, Henry VIII married Anne Boleyn when she was already pregnant with Elizabeth; would the rule be different for the non-royal nobility?

14. danceronice

I think LEGALLY, that would qualify, but socially they might as well move to Australia at that point. Anyone with a clue and an ability to do basic arithmetic would know what was going on.

15. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I have a different take on Lord Grantham's camaraderie with the new maid, which is that it's just another signal of how barriers are breaking down as a result of the war. Sybil is about to run off with the chauffeur. Edith had her barnyard tryst with the farmer. Mary is about to marry a crass nouveau riche commoner. And Lord Grantham is letting down his guard with the help. I really don't think there's more to it than that.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I just want to say - I am so happy to read other folks dislike of Cameron's Titanic. I enjoy lots of movies, classics, foreign, indy, comedy, drama, along with well made and some guilty pleasure ones. Over the years I have hated listening to folks that hardly see any movies go on and on about how Camerons' Titanic is the best movie evahhh. I just want to gag.

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Small favor to request - might those interested in discussing all things Titanic please consider starting a separate thread to leave this one for Downton Abbey? :)

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that's how i took it. i thought he was trying to be nice because the is a veteran and knows her alleged husband is a soldier who died in action, leaving her in a difficult position.

19. danceronice

Stay away from wikipedia. That's all I'm saying.

smurfy--part of my dislike probably started as hype aversion, but really--I saw it in the theaters on a date, and by the time she was on the back of the boat the first time people in the audience were snickering and going "Jump, jump!"

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

But I thought there were a couple of other hints that something might be brewing between Lord Grantham and the maid. In one scene, Lady Cora was hurrying around doing her thing, and he complained about having to take his lunch, or some meal, alone. She replied that she just had too much to do and that in so many words he could handle being by himself for once. He wouldn't be the first man to have a pity party about not getting enough attention.
    Seems like there was another thinly veiled hint in the most recent episode, but I can't remember what it was. I hope I'm wrong and nothing comes of this. Though it would be interesting to see how the Dowager Countess handled it. She would surely know.

21. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Re - Lord Grantham and the maid,
    My Little Pony / Grannyfan - There have been a few things as mentioned that I think Lord Grantham is bored, not able to go to battle, and just does seem to have much to do. Cora seems to running the hospital (or partially running it) and enjoying it. The daughters are busy too.
    I love DA, but it does seem to be using cliche soap opera stories this season and Lord Grantham having a fling with a maid would fit in with dead relative with amnesia coming back from the dead and paralysis...

22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I'll be seriously disappointed if Gratham has an affair - there's more than enough soap opera as is. But agree it looks headed that way. :blah:

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think it is more likely that the maid has a history to hide and that when it comes out he will be sympathetic and try to help. He seems paternalistic toward the help, I can't see him ever condescending to treat them as equals. I think he takes himself more seriously than Major Moustache, and he is past the age where hormones will overwhelm him.

24. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

What happened to the mid-life crisis? :p

25. aliceanne

I thought midlife crises were for 40 somethings, isn't he older than that? I see him and Cora fighting over control. She's getting bossy and he has nothing to do. She has that other single mother maid to champion, and he has his.

I suppose he could have an affair, but he and Mary seem so asexual to me. I know he's supposed to be hot with Cora, and she is supposed to be catnip to potential heirs, but they both seem so dry.

26. Civic

Civic New Member

He's an English aristocrat from the old school. IMO, he's not so much dry as he is very controlled. Good manners and self restraint are important to him. Hugh Bonneville does an excellent job of showing us the often intense emotions that run beneath his Lordship's restrained exterior.

27. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I know. I was just being silly. :)

28. aliceanne

I've been accused of mistaking English aristocracy's self restraint for lack of passion before. Maybe he will explode into a burst of passion over the maid.

I think her storyline will be linked to the other maid with the child as it was rather pointedly declared "we believed HER story". I thought Lord Grantham's questioning her was a device to bring out more of her story and highlight Lord G's loneliness and boredom. Killing two bird's with one stone, not necessarily connecting them.

29. danceronice

Lol, that would be very non-English of him. (I like the English stiff upper lip, there's something so admirably Anglican about it.)

Again, I'm mum on where Lord Grantham/Jane is going, but I do agree they were trying to highlight the difference, AND with Daisy as well--they have three sort-of 'war widows.' Jane is a true war widow--she was as Mrs. Hughes says a legally-married wife and mother who lost her husband. You have Daisy, whom the world views as a legitimate war widow, but because she was pressured into marrying William and it was literally a marriage of hours, she doesn't feel she is one. And you have Ethel, who may or may not have thought her one-night stand was love (though Major Mustache clearly didn't care), but that's ALL it was whether he was killed or not, so societaly speaking, she's on her own.

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I think Ethel and Maj. Mustache were more of a regular thing than just one time.

Not to be ...vulgar...but don't marriages have to be, uh, consummated? Would Daisy and William really be considered married?