Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ "Stage Beauty"!!!!! :cheer: Agreed, a totally underrated film!

Hmmmm, how can we get Fenella Woolgar into the cast of "DA"?

2. Civic

Civic New Member

Sunday, I watched a rerun of the final Prime Suspect series after Downton Abbey. The actor who plays Bates in Downton Abbey played one of Jane Tennison's (Helen Mirren's character) colleagues. I don't know why it took me so long to recognize him.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  3. jlai

jlai Title-less

But in Austen's world, didn't spoiled children with potential to do good become sick to learn their lesson? Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility got sick; Tom Bertram in Manfield Park needed his sickness to "learn to think"; even Pip in Dickens' Great Expectations became sick as a "punishment" for being vain in the past.

And husbands hiding a wife or treating their wives badly needed to have their houses burned down ala Mr. Rochester's Thornfield or Mr. de Winter's Manderley in Rebecca. Good thing Mr. Bates doesn't own a house! :p

4. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Mr. Bates inherited his mother's house...

5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well, Lady Mary's reputation got sick. Does that count? LOL!

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Good one! :D

7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I will have to post in the morning, but please tell me I'm not the only one who saw the SNL routine!

8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I liked "that's not the way to serve soup".

12. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Three daughters named "hot, way hot and the other one". :lol:

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

"There are all these tuxedoed people who live in the basement and their lives suck."

14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i want chicken lady to tell matthew's mom to drop dead in a hilarious but scathing way

15. my little pony

whoa! didnt see that
    the last heir showing up
    coming

that snl thing is right, they learn everything from eavesdropping

16. my little pony

bah, anna andersoned

17. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

So is Patrick really family or a fraud? I'm leaning towards fraud, but another heir would bring the dramaz.

18. my little pony

i'm assuming fraud, i was hoping he was real

19. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    He was dismissed far too quickly, it was an interesting plot that when nowhere fast.

20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Plus, if he were real he probably would have stuck around a little longer. Seems like once all the talk of London attorneys investigating him came up, he split.

21. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I agree he was a fraud and split when he saw that he was not successfully convining anyone but Edith.

Jeez - Edith can't catch a break when it comes to her love life.

They've set up so many things in this episode that will surely reverberate in future episodes: 1) Vera's death 2) Matthew "feels something below", 3) Sir Richard's threat over Mary, 4) Sybil and the chauffeur's growing relationship. It's like suddenly everything is much "soapier" than before. Lacking in the gentle finesse that I so enjoyed. But it's still worth watching.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  22. aliceanne

I know the heir's the the thing and all, but I'n really tired of this Matthew/Mary storyline (will they/won't they, is he/isn't he). Neither one of them has a scintillating personality or is particulary likeable, and the times are a changing so all this tradition is becoming irrelevant. I find the plots involving the younger daughters more interesting, but they seemed doomed to minor roles.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

But even if you had a head injury following the sinking of the Titanic wouldn't you wake up and still speak with a British accent? Even after a few years in Canada the accent would still be there. I thought he was a fraud for this reason.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

The acquisition or loss of an accent usually depend on the age of the person at the time of the change. If he was in his 20's or older, then yes, he should have kept his original accent, or at least traces of it. If he was younger, he would have most likely lost his original accent.

25. aliceanne

It could also be that he has no confidence in the family's interest in discovering the truth, and may reappear with a court challenge to the will when the patriarch dies.

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

Of course, I looked away from the screen right when the "heir" made the gesture that caught the Earl's eye. What was it, and did we see any indication that it was purposeful?

27. aliceanne

It seemed an indication that Matthew might have felt something in his lower body. He started to say something and then stopped.

28. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I think znachki was referring to the gesture that "Peter/Patrick Gordon" made -- i.e. a sort of wiping/swiping of his upper lip with his finger/hand. From his reaction, I took it to be a gesture that Lord Grantham recalled Patrick doing and thus something that would support his story and claims.

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

No, not that one, that I caught. When Grantham is talking to Gordon, he made some gesture (I think) and the Earl said something like - where did you learn to do that?

30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

But Peter could have seen Patrick do it and work it into his "act." Whatever the outcome: Will Edith EVER find love? It must be hard to be sandwiched between sisters that SNL referred to as hot and very hot.