Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

If you really want to get a sneak peek at who is staying and going this season, check out the Downton Abbey link at IMDB. Just don't bring any spoilers back here, please!

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

really, dont you get to see the series when they air it the first time? i didnt realize you had to watch it with rowdy ex colonists.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

Not really so secret, as they've talked a lot about Almina, wife of the fifth Earl of Carnarvon. But still an interesting article.

[And I think that her surname of Wombwell is just perfect...considering her biological dad was a Rothchild! :p]

4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Nope...I'm watching on PBS. It's also being shown on Vision up here, which is usually a lot of religious programming, from what I know... Time shift is a wonderful thing...I can watch on Detroit PBS at 7 or Spokane at 10.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Ok, I am not reading the thread because I am still catching up. I just finished the season 3 finale. Poor Matthew and poor Mary! I always knew they were doomed but at least they had some time to be happy together and made a beautiful baby boy out of it. I was so glad he got to meet him.

Now, does anyone else have a major problem with the actress who plays Mrs. Crowley (Cora)? I literally cringe every time she has lines. She always has this same look on her face. Her face turned down, eyes turned way up and full on pout. You can even hear it in her voice. I absolutely can't stand it. If another major character must be killed off, please let it be her!!

6. my little pony

"i always think there is something foreign about high spirits at breakfast"

me too, carson, me too

7. my little pony

now i understand why i got mrs hughes in that quiz, she's a total badass when she isnt meddling

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I agree. I have always felt that she was the one weak actor/actress on the show.

Could some kind soul please explain to me what the heck Mrs. Hughes was talking about when she confronted Edna? What was Edna doing according to the book? What did the book prove? I re-watched that segment and am still clueless.

9. my little pony

the book, married love, was a real book and had information (i dont know if it was accurate) about ovulation and conception. so if she was trying to get pregnant and couldnt get branson to sleep w her again, she could make a play for someone else at that time. at least that is how i took it.

10. tamuno

tamuno Member

I loved this episode. Glamour is back! How graceful and poised did Mary look climbing those stairs at the club? She is not beautiful in that strict sense but her impeccable carriage and grace makes her very striking.

As for Edna/Mrs Hughes confrontation, I think she took a stab in the back because the book talks about pregnancy and how to prevent it [among other things on intimacy]. Mrs Hughes correctly deducted that if she was reading it, she might not have been pregnant. Her walking off in a huff reminded me of O'Brien's similar exit.

Tony is gentle yes but when Mary fully comes back to life, will she eat him up?

Grantham still unused to women talking business.

Jack Ross!!

11. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

So is Rosamund the only person who actually cares enough about Edith to warn her about Gregson?

12. my little pony

and or smart

her parents seem a bit clueless. i still think there was *something* w her fiance that her father may have known or suspected or heard as gossip and wouldnt say out loud.

13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I'm already hating the Anna/Bates storyline, and wish it would just go away. :blah:

14. dardar1126

Mrs. Hughes was giving Green the evil side-eye, so I think she suspects him for the rape of Anna. :angryfire

Heartbreaking to see Anna so wounded, and pulling away from John; he's so hurt and confused...and so is she. :(

I like the growing relationship between Violet and Isobel. :) And Dr. Clarkson understands how to get Isobel interested in helping others, and, therefore, getting her back to LIVING.

I hope that Evil Edna is really gone for good...I*HATE*HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lynch: I like how, once again, Tom reached out to Mrs. Hughes for help and advice...she's like his surrogate mum. And the way she dressed down Edna was a thing of beauty! :kickass:

Lord Gillingham seems in a bit of a rush...makes me wonder about his true motives. :shuffle:

Now that Edith and Michael have "done the deed", I expect her life is going to get really, REALLY complicated. ;)

Still can't quite figure the story direction for Rose, but I guess Jack Ross will be a factor. :D

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Edna got the :kickass:!! Yay! Good riddance.

It is a good point about Lord Gillingham, what's the urgent urgency?

I wonder if Edith will get pregnant? Someone has to get pregnant at this rate...

16. my little pony

i'm wondering if lord gilly's financial shape isnt as good as he makes it out to be

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Good point. I also think this isn't the last we have seen of his valet. :lynch:

18. dardar1126

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Just watched the last two eps last night so my comments may be muddled.

I was unspoiled, and my heart breaks for Anna. What a horrible, horrible thing. I know she's a fictional character and what happened was fiction, but it just rings too true for all the women (and men) who have been victimized like this, and who continue to be. I guess they chose Anna for this because they need another Anna/Bates tragic storyline, but I think from an issues perspective, Anna was the perfect choice because she is playing it so real and true. I can't imagine the resolution for this.

Also, I think Mrs Hughes knows who it was. She saw him return after noting with Bates how long Anna had been gone, and she knew he had been talking to Anna quite a bit. Plus, if there was any question that it had been one of the DA servants, there's no way she'd just let it go. Because it was someone from another house she could keep Anna's secret.

But I will say I was shocked at her treatment of Edna. Obviously Edna is a golddigger, and I guess Hughes has to take the side of a member of the household, but two things bothered me. One is that she barely scolded Tom for his part - I guess we are meant to think it's a symptom of the times and class structure that being drunk and a man makes it OK to sleep with a servant? I guess that is supposed to help us understand why Anna doesn't want anyone to know, but I think we already understand that. But then Hughes actually says to Edna, in the same room where she found poor Anna - "I will lock this door, tear off your clothes and hold you down myself"???? I thought that was really insensitive writing, and I'm surprised even the actors didn't object to those lines.

Other thoughts - do we trust Gregson? I had the impression until now that Edith knew all about him and was making her own decisions, but what was that document that she barely looked at before signing for him? At the same time we learn that he is capable of a swindle himself at the card table? He acted like he was doing it for Edith and because it was the right thing to do, but did he really do it to ingratiate himself with her father (and have something to hold over him) and the Crawley's circle of friends?

I bought that Gillingham was in a hurry to marry and get himself settled, but I didn't buy his undying love for Mary. She didn't seem to either, but at the same time considered the option. If this was to be an alignment as much as a marriage, shouldn't she have looked further into his finances and situation? He already said he had to sell the family home, so obviously moving into DA would be a step up for him. Is the rest of the family so impressed with his title that they are forgetting that titles are having less and less meaning as the estates they represent fall apart? I see Cora wanting Mary to be happy and move on, but she of all people should know that matches involving money, estates, inheritances and titles are very complicated - and it's often the women who end up on the short end of the stick.

20. dardar1126

Interesting points about the Edna story line. I hate her so much, that I'd never have considered this take on it. But I'm not convinced she and Tom actually had sex. He was really drunk, and his memory seems muddled, at best. And, as Thomas said, Edna is a "manipulative little w(b)itch!" :puppet: I felt sorry for the Glenn Close character in Fatal Attraction...I do not feel sorry for Edna. I just hope, to paraphrase The Wizard of Oz, that she's not merely "dead"...she's really most sincerely "dead!" :mad:

I wonder about Michael Gregson too. He's seems too good to true.... And Edith barely glanced at that document before signing it. Plus he mentioned earlier about having a "checkered past" and "misspent youth." :confused:

21. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Thanks, dardar! That link was hilarious!
    How does Mrs. Hughes find time to do her job? She's so busy sorting out everybody else's lives. I loved the way she took on Edna; glad to see the last of that character.
    I agree with the comments re Lord Gillingham. Why the hurry? He certainly was pressuring Mary. And Edith's gowns continue to fascinate me.

22. dardar1126

Twitter:

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

The best thing, hands down, was goodbye and good riddance to Edna. I didn't predict how that would play out, though. Good old Marie Stopes to the rescue! But of course whomever Thomas has in store for the replacement will I'm sure be another brand of scheming ... (And Branson's reaction to her being older was pretty funny.)

I really liked the final scene between Mary and Gillingham, when she told him that she wasn't ready to stop thinking about Matthew. That was one of the best scenes she's had. And I'm glad it put that whole suit to rest too, for now at least. I quite liked Gillingham, but it was just too soon. For all of us!

The scene with Isobel basically giving her blessing though, that was very sweet.

I'm definitely finding Rose less annoying this year. She's still silly, but her naiveté is refreshing compared to how jaded everyone else. ETA: And I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Jack Ross. Seemed inevitable that they'd have a "racial" story. I hope the actor is up to it: he's easy on the eyes and has a decent voice, but from what I heard last night his American accent was less than convincing ...

Edith! You go girl! :-D (I hope she had a copy of Dr. Stopes too!) But it's still a little mind-boggling to me that no one else in the family has discovered yet that Gregson is married ... Rosamund's only concern was about Edith's virtue. And what about that "taking care of my affairs" paper she signed, what on earth was that foreshadowing?

(I loved Edith's line about "Poor aunt Rosamund, we treat her like a hotel." So true! With all this to-ing and fro-ing to London lately, you wonder why they haven't opened the London house. Mostly thought I want to see the London house!)

And Anna. I'm just still heartbroken for her, and for John. :fragile:

24. my little pony

i dont think rosamund is being a prude. i think she is being smart and reminding her that although things have modernized, being indiscreet could keep her from a favorable marriage. it's not like edith is going to get a job and support herself in the same style in which she was raised.

25. Artemis@BC

^ Oh, I know. It is somewhat of a retread of the Mr Pamuk incident though -- it was Rosamund who really took that further than it needed to go. (After Edith initiated it, mind you.)

Hey, I'm just glad that someone in the family is looking out for Edith, no matter the reasons! No one else seems to be paying much attention ...

26. dardar1126

The tongue-in-cheek faux Facebook recap of Episode 3 is up! :lol:

http://happyplace.someecards.com/28749/downton-abbey-facebook-recap-season-4-episode-3

EDIT:

Too true! ;)

EDIT2: Good news...via Twitter...

27. Artemis@BC

28. znachki

znachki Active Member

I wonder about the document Edith signed as well. However, he did say it was to give her more authority while he was gone. Perhaps it ends up being a good thing, not a bad one, although with Edith's luck, probably not.

Part of Ms. Hughes job is sorting things out. As the housekeeper, and most Sr. woman, she's in charge of all the "girl stuff", so she actually can pretty much order the doctor to come round.

I saw this episode as mostly a set-up episode for what's to come.

29. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Agreed- one of the three is bound to get pregnant, and for some reason I don't think- and hope- its not Anna, and they seem to have ruled out the possibility of Edna (I don't buy that she's really gone for good though). Edith getting knocked up right before her lover leaves the country seems the most likely.

I really liked that too, it was very touching. Also glad Fellowes didn't force Mary back into a new romance too quickly, it wouldn't have been believable that she was ready yet.

30. tamuno

tamuno Member

I would really like to get anybody's views on this.

Daisy - what does she really want out of life? She has had MANY opportunities to move up and do better in life but it seems her life continues to revolve around the kitchen, footmen and cooking. She could have embraced married life and made something of her self with her new status as a war widow, she could have taken her father in-law's offer to work in the farm, she can even now be looking to be a sous-chef ( as was pointed out to her by Miss Shaw) in another establishment like Alfred is looking to do. But no, her vision is really small. Your thoughts are welcome.