Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Ooooh. That twist with Anna was awful, but I suppose it sets up more plot twists for her and Bates. The actress who plays Anna is wonderful.

I really hope that woman who's after Tom doesn't get pregnant. That whole plot line with her is simply annoying.

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Devastating story line for Anna.... :(

(that was a spoiler that I knew ahead of time...still hard to watch)
    I*HATE*EDNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: Manipulative, crazy B*TCH! :EVILLE:

Lord Gillingham is dishy! :swoon:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I know what happens to Anna although I haven't watched yet, read a spoiler. :(

4. Allskate

Please no explicit or even suggested spoilers in this thread.

5. dardar1126

6. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Is there a thread where we can discuss after a episode airs on PBS since this is a no spoiler thread.

7. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

My understanding was that this thread is for discussing the PBS showing of the show- once an episode airs, we can discuss it- no? Otherwise, what is the point of this thread?

8. dardar1126

I agree...no future episode spoilers, but once the latest episode has aired in the US all bets are off imo.

Twitter:

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

it aired yesterday. there is no reason why you cant discuss it. if someone taped it and hasnt watched it, they shouldnt be reading it.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

At the beginning of the episode, there was a "mature content" warning. I wondered what that would be about, as I don't recall ever seeing one of those before. I've never been easily offended or upset by what I see on TV ... but I sure wish I could erase that image from my head.

I knew, just knew, that Anna and John wouldn't get to have smooth sailing, but I didn't expect anything like that. I'm still reeling.

And how typical for Anna, that her first thought would be for John and not herself.

I'm just heartbroken by this. I can't even comment on the rest of the episode right now.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

LOL! i hope she appreciates this huge honor.

13. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I watched 3 hours worth last night and got caught up. Oh, Maggie Smith was once again brilliant; one runs out of superlatives for her! The Anna-Bates stuff was very treacley so I knew something dire was going to happen. Some of the plotlines were weaker than usual. Lady Edith's gowns are phenominal! And I'm glad to see the dog is still there! A very satisfying night.

14. Allskate

Exactly. This is a thread about the PBS broadcast, so obviously discussion of PBS broadcasts is welcome. But people were starting to reference bad things happening to Anna in future PBS episodes, and I just wanted to remind people about spoilers.

15. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

They really have to stop having house parties....someone always ends up hurt. Poor Anna.

16. Artemis@BC

Well, I think the bad thing has happened ... :(

We can of course speculate. Will the writers pull the obvious and make Anna pregnant? Even if John doesn't find out about the rape (though I think he will, before too long), Anna will question the paternity, and it will torture her.

Or will Edna get pregnant with Tom's baby? Ugh.

I wanted to hug Tom in last night's episode. Though at least that was honest, his struggles for figuring out where he belongs.

Best line, surprise surprised, to the Dowager: "If you're searching for logic, don't bother looking in the British aristocracy."

17. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

While I think Anna's reaction to not wanting Bates to find out was mostly about her concern over him retaliating and getting sent back to prison, part of me felt it rang true for the times for a woman to keep that sort of thing quiet from their husbands and suffer in silence. Certainly Mrs. Hughes sized up very quickly what had happened, and she's agreed to keep quiet. I forget if Anna said who did it. We know Mrs. Hughes saw the attacker (I forget his name already) leave the concert. But did Anna actually say his name to Mrs. Hughes?

At some point of course Bates will learn the truth. I hope we don't go down the path of him flirting with a trial and prison AGAIN.

In both Anna and Edna's case - I pray they don't play the pregnancy storyline. I wouldn't be surprised if Edna slipped something in Tom's drink to get him to pass out (did they have access to such drugs at the time) and he'll wake up and see her in his bed and assume they "did it".

Julian Fellowes has gone on record many times saying that his characters can't ever be too happy because it would be boring. I suppose a rape story line was inevitable.

18. dardar1126

I liked how Michael Gregson saved Robert's a$$ over the gambling debt...Robert should NEVER*EVER be trusted with making any kind of monetary decisions ever again! :lol:

I sure hope Tom didn't sleep with Edna...although I'm afraid she's going to try to make it look like he did, what with pretending to be sympathetic and then handing him that huge glass of whiskey when he's down and out. I*WANT*HER*GONE! :angryfire

I feel so sorry for Isobel...she is so sad and deflated since Matthew's death. :( The Mr. Grigg Intervention helped a little. I hope they will revisit the idea of a relationship between her and Dr. Clarkson...I thought they had a lovely chemistry going when he nearly proposed.

I was glad to see Cora stand up for a more progressive, egalitarian view of how to treat Dame Nellie Melba; Robert and Carson can be such sticks-in-the-mud! :rolleyes:

I want to see Green pay for what he did to Anna! :kickass: I wouldn't want to be him if/when Bates finds out! :eek:

Tony Gillingham is a lovely, lovely man! ;) Just a matter of time before he ditches his not-quite-fiancee....

And someone...anyone...PLEASE HIRE Mr. Molesley! :lol: He's such a sad-sack character.

EDIT:

Anna did not tell Mrs. Hughes who attacked her. But I'd expect Mrs. Hughes to run through the list of possible suspects, and narrow it down.

EDIT2:

Plus Lord Gillingham will definitely return to Downton at some point, so that means his valet Green will too. When Mrs. Hughes observes how Anna reacts to him, I bet she'll put 2&2 together and figure it out.

19. znachki

znachki Active Member

Tom? If Edna is pregnant, it's no less than you deserve for being so stupid. I mean, really, y'all just had a talk about her. I'm finding it hard to keep feeling sorry for you, in spite of how nice you were to Isobel.

20. Artemis@BC

I see that Happyplace hasn't posted their Facebook episode yet. They must be having a hard time finding the funny ... :(

21. Artemis@BC

On another note: I was pretty sure last week but now am almost positive ... Matthew was the only one in the family who knew about Gregson's marital situation, yes? I had thought he might have told Mary but it would seem not. And obviously Robert and Cora don't know, or they wouldn't have been talking about him as "Well, not the most suitable but he'll do." So, how long til that secret comes out?

22. tamuno

tamuno Member

A few things.....
    I like Robert, always have. I've always liked his subtle mixture of elegance and arrogance. When he makes mistakes, he's shame-faced about it without resorting to dramatics. He takes it on the chin and is a 'man' about it. For example when Cora was talking about grown men gambling away their fortunes, he agrees with her without giving anything away.
    Lord Gillingham is good-looking but how do their personalities gel? I need to see more before I give my blessings.
    As for Edna, all I can say is her comeuppance is coming.
    I do enjoy Rose but only because I realized that she doesn't take anything AWAY from the storyline but what does she add really? I hope the show will find a weightier role for her in future.

And lastly Anna............ Her reaction not to let Bates know feels very natural to me. I mean she knows Bates is devoted to her and is sufficiently mysterious to her to actually kill someone for her, especially one who has wronged her. He may not have killed his wife, but the way this character has been portrayed, I think the audience can correctly ascertain that he is capable of at least harming anyone he believes has wronged him..........how much more Anna who has been through a lot for him. So her first concern being for him is not jarring to me. Also I think the attitude to rape in those times even to some extent these days, is for women to keep it secret because of shame and fear of being blamed for it. In this case she is a married woman who has to fight off feelings of degradation and low self-esteem in the eyes of her husband.

23. tamuno

tamuno Member

Yes Artemis good point. I wondered about that and half expected Mary to mention it to her father in the last episode when they talked about it. But it seems Matthew true to his 'man of integrity' fashion took that info to his grave, and did not tell Mary when they had their pillow talk about it - perhaps thinking Gregson would call it off like they agreed. Hmmmm............ Edith's story is far from over.

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

Also, even if she brought it forward and "Gillingham" was prosecuted, in those days, she may have lost her position as well. Even though she did nothing wrong.

25. znachki

znachki Active Member

26. Artemis@BC

^ Well, they made it work as well as they could ... kudos.

"Millions of audience members like nothing that is going on right now and demand that Julian Fellowes fix it."

27. znachki

znachki Active Member

Yep, I think they did.

28. Artemis@BC

Yeah, those were my favourites too. Along with "Cora has checked into the 20th Century - 3 minutes ago." :lol:

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

I also continue to love Ghost of Matthew and Ghost of Sybil.

30. dardar1126

They also did these cards for Season 3...had the Ghost of Lavinia Swire. :p

Example:

:lol:

Link: http://happyplace.someecards.com/20382/dowton-abbey-facebook-recap

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014