Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, yeah. The Dowager is all kinds of awesome. :D

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

See, again, I don't find the Earl's behavior deserving of any sort of comeuppance--Mary did need a kick to the pants, and the idea should just jump into management is, indeed, silly. She's going to be even more at sea than Branson (as last season and the Reggie Swire Inheritance Debacle demonstrates, she's really not that much better about money or estate planning than her father). It was a cruel way to do it, but sometimes you need a sledgehammer, not a feather pillow. She seems to have both snapped out of her apathy and realized that she SHOULD take an interest (not what he was going for, but what she needed) and realized she's going to need a LOT of help. Fortunately she seems to have realized she should pay attention to Branson on the subject.

As for Barrow, my real question is if he's going to be evil, why the fudge is he targeting ANNA? The "rivalry" with Bates is long gone--Barrow outranks him now, the issue of who's the valet is settled, and has he forgotten who exactly helped figure out how to scuttle O'Brien's manipulation to get him dismissed without reference? That's right, Bates. He barely knows Edna (can we get a new character whose name does not being with E, please?), he has zero reason to dislike Anna or Bates, and if he found out that Eddie Girl is scheming to snag Sybil's widower husband, given Barrow's major "pet the dog" last season, not to mention a point where he bonded with Anna, was how much he genuinely liked Sybil and how devastated he was by her death, how long is this alliance really going to last?

And I love that the Carnarvons call their Spaniels Naughty 1, 2, and 3. My dogs have names but I do at times refer to them as Big Pest, Little Pest, and Giant Economy-Size Pest...

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Did they replace the kid who played little Sybbie? Or did she just grow up?

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Show began day Titanic sank, April 1912, and now it is 1922

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

But as someone pointed out up-thread, Isis was not the original lab (from the opening credits in seasons 1-3). Isis came some years later, around 1919 or so.

6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out, "Isis" was not Lord Grantham's dog in series 1. IIRC, she arrived in season 2, which began set in late 1916.

I believe that Isis was around from the beginning of season 2 -- so, definitely before 1919.

7. Artemis@BC

The episode where Isis got "lost" (i.e., Thomas hides her in the shed) was the Christmas special at the end of season 2, circa 1919. I'm picturing Isis as just a young'un then I think, maybe 6 mo to a year old -- it's certainly the first time I remember her being mentioned by name.

ETA: just checked the Downton Wiki and it appears there was a mention of her by name earlier in WWI, specifically in relation to turning Downton Abbey into a convalescent home. So 1916 or so?

8. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

It's a different child from last year's baby Sybbie...a little toddler named Ava.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1...s_taste_of_Downton_Abbey_life_as_Baby_Sybbie/

Bromley toddler gets taste of Downton Abbey life as Baby Sybbie

1:18pm Friday 16th August 2013 in News By Heloise Wood

*******************************************************************************

They use twins to play baby George.

http://www.wetpaint.com/downton-abbey/articles/2013-10-17-season-4-baby-george-twins

Downton Abbey Season 4: Who Are the Twins Who Play Baby George Crawley?

October 17, 2013 at 07:19PM EDT by Elisabeth Kramer

*******************************************************************************

All the kids are so cute! :)

9. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Also, the family may have money problems again (they're setting it up that way with the "death duties" they keep talking about) but I think they'd be out there digging their own potatoes before the Countess would go without her lady's maid. That's the confidante position (although god knows Cora misplaced it with O'Brien) so I would imagine losing that person is a lot worse than replacing a random housemaid or footman.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, dardar1126! :)

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Loved it, of course. My favorite line was Lady Edith talking about how her father would do if the servants left. It was something like, "he'd be found dead in a corridor, arms outstretched towards the kitchen."

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Speaking of Edith, I do like how they are turning her into this smart, modern woman. I could see an interesting story if she chooses to go with dude to Germany but not marry him, and gets involved in political and human issues there, perhaps coming back and being the only one in her secluded family to realize what's happening in the coming years.

13. Artemis@BC

Yeah, that could be really interesting, especially if Robert gets sucked into the Nazi-sympathizer, "Hitler's not such a bad chap" crowd. Which is not completely beyond the realm of possibilities, there were a lot of really naïve people who went that route based on the "protecting our traditions" propaganda.

However I don't see them setting up scenes in Germany for Edith's sake, so I think it would mean her disappearing from the show for a while. And I really don't want that to happen.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes, I was thinking Remains of the Day - papa is definitely a candidate for going the wrong way.

Good point about not wanting her to to leave though - I guess they've tried to replace Sybil with Rose but it's not the same, and I think we really need Edith in the mix. The neverending parade of maids only provides the same old storylines, whereas Edith is the opportunity to make the story relevant to the time period the most.

Maybe she could go briefly, and then get involved with a bunch of ex-pat artists and journalists in London, and maybe bring some refugees to Downton :)

15. Artemis@BC

I fully expect that, assuming the show carries on to the mid-30s, we'll see some refugee storylines somehow. But in terms of Edith going there and being involved, I'm not sure how the timing will work. Things do move very slowly in Downton-land, but if it's now 1922 and Gregson seems very keen to get this "divorce tourism" thing going asap.

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I can see another reason for just not going that way (Edith and Gregson moving there and tying it into the rising Nazi movement): even if they weren't overtly sympathetic, and it would be hard not to feel sorry for Weimar Germans and just how bad their country was wiped out as punishment for a war they didn't start, they already did that plot on the short-lived "Upstairs, Downstairs" revival with the wife's younger sister. There was already an unfortunate plot similarity (politically-active chauffeur and rebellious younger daughter, though it ended much differently.)

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's actually what I was thinking - not the Jewish refugee story angle from Remains of the Day, but perhaps Edith the increasingly worldly person getting to know some Germans as people, perhaps in the journalist and artist community - and realizing that something was starting to go horribly wrong, perhaps just as her traditional family is sympathizing the other ways. She educates them, and it's an opportunity to tell a different story. It might be a few years too early for all that, but I'm assuming the writers chose Germany for some larger purpose than a simple divorce.

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i always assumed isadore levinson was jewish and that some distant refugee cousin would pop up in the 30s, but that's just me talking to myself not based on actual facts

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Yes, Isidore Levinson, Cora's father, was indeed Jewish (according to the book The Chronicles of Downton Abbey).

20. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought her would. I was surprised when he gave it to Mary.

21. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I just finished watching my DVRed episode 1 of season 4. I'm so happy this is back for another season.

Don't like Edna being back. I much prefer O'Brien. I wish she was still around.

Loved Edith but I wish they would do more with Rose. Her storyline was a complete bore this episode.

Dowager Countess rocked as usual. Nanny West...what a psycho!

I did the quiz and I'm Cora. I knew I would be before I did the quiz...lol! Hopefully, I'm not as naive as her but I do usually try to find the good in people.

22. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

Per the quiz, I'm the Dowager, which is odd, since I know what a weekend is. But I do like having the power to say whatever I want whenever I want, and wear ornate hats.

23. dardar1126

24. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Thanks, Smurfy!

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

im mrs hughes which makes no sense. id have never let edna back in the house and i would never have bothered w the vaudeville partner.

26. dardar1126

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/lady-edith-laura-carmichael-interview

'Downton Abbey' Star Laura Carmichael Says Lady Edith Is Misunderstood
    January 7 5:00 PM
    Jane Levere | Culture News

Excerpt:

27. tamuno

tamuno Member

What??? Nobody here yet? I thought this thread will be flooded with this episode by now.

28. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Poor Anna...I wonder how that will all play out...

29. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Wow. Devastated for Anna. :(

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Too busy with the US Nats :drama: but I am planning to watch. :)