Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Must-read hilariously snarky recap of Episode 1:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/os...eason-four-premiere-recap?mbid=social_twitter

10:00 PM, JANUARY 5 2014

Downton Abbey Season Four—Premiere Recap: Lady Mary Hosts a Horrid Pity Party in Memory of Matthew
    by Julie Miller

Excerpt:

:lol:

EDIT:

:rollin:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ "Mr Molesley: Perfect! My showing at the cricket match proves I never choke under pressure!" :lol:

and "Mr Molesley has unfriended Mr Molesley" :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

OMG that is hysterical! It's long but worth it folks - make yourself a pot of tea and enjoy!

4. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

That was so darn funny. I was literally LOL with tears in my eyes. Thanks for posting.

5. dardar1126

Also at the bottom of the page they have a link to the episodes they documented for Season 3...too funny! :lol:

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

"I'm sure we can find you someone who isn't pure evil to bring you your tea, ma'am."

"Many Fists have checked into Many Faces."

:rofl:

And little George is already a master of snark!

7. dardar1126

Twitter:

8. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

It was beyond stupid and trusting for Cora. It was stupid writing It was beyond the realm of believability. There's no way Cora would have trusted the new maid that Hughes was at least expressed reservations about ahead of Cora who has been trusted by the family for years. And Barrow should have gotten the boot a long time ago. There's no way anyone in that household could find him trustworthy. It didn't even make sense for them to be covering for Tom because he really didn't do anything.

10. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Lady Mary reminded me of Wednesday Addams at the beginning of the program.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OMG! The episode! The Vanity Fair recap! The Faux Facebook recap! So much fun! Wheeeeeeeeee!!! :rofl:

12. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Let's talk about the real travesty that took place in this premiere : No canine butt shot in the opening credits!

Isis must have pooped on Julian Fellow's rug.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  13. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

My problem with the hiring of Edna is that all Mrs. Hughes had to say was a version of the truth to settle the matter: Edna made an inappropriate advance towards Tom. He was uncomfortable but didn't want to see her tossed out with a bad reference, so Mrs. Hughes obliged with Tom's wishes to give her a good recommendation. I wish they would have just added a new character altogether for the ladies maid.

14. dardar1126

Small scene spoiler...

Twitter:

15. tamuno

tamuno Member

I wish they would have just added a new character altogether for the ladies maid.

Keep hope alive! Yes Cora's negligence I attempted to explain as she needed a maid promptly and since Edna had already worked at the Abbey and Mrs Hughes wrote a good reference, and she did say Edna is a good worker.............I see her character as the type of mistress that generally tries to be benevolent with her servants and does not care much about what they are up to beyond their loyal service. If you are used to having servants, you will know what I mean. Such mistresses are very easy to manipulate.

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

My question is shouldn't Isis (who appears to be full-grown in the premiere) be at LEAST 11 and therefore very elderly by now? For a lab, she should be a senior citizen. Oh, no, are we going to get a "the Earl loses his beloved dog" episode?

17. dardar1126

Though never called by name, the original Grantham dog was Pharaoh. He died at the end of Season 1, and Season 2 saw the arrival of Isis. If Isis was a big puppy at that time (mid-WWI) then she'd be approximately 6-8 years old by now.

EDIT: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...e-star-hounded-castles-unwelcoming-rival.html

Downton's war of the labradors: Show's canine star is hounded out by castle's very unwelcoming rival
    By CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS and PETER ROBERTSON
    UPDATED: 16:15 EST, 30 July 2011

:dog:

EDIT2:

Check this out...too cute! :)

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20772570,00.html

Man Creates Adorable Downton Abbey Lego Set for His Girlfriend
    By ALEX HEIGL
    01/06/2014 at 12:00 PM EST

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. zee703

zee703 New Member

Two things from the premier episode really bothered me: the ridiculous return of Edna thanks to Cora once again being so gullible (listening to the immature Rose!), and the character of Rose constantly looking over her shoulders which she has done since we first saw her last season. Other than those two irritations, I loved the two hour show Sunday night. I'll be interested to see how Fellowes treats the next American to appear at the Abbey, Cora's brother. He certainly didn't write good lines for Cora's mother and he's made Cora so OTT trusting of folks she's been warned about (e.g., O'Brien, Thomas).

Does anyone else have difficulty understanding some of the actors playing the servants? In many of the "downstairs" scenes, usually in the kitchen amongst the younger staff, I can't figure out what they're saying (don't have any problems with Carson, Mrs. Hughes, Anna and Mr. Bates).

19. dardar1126

Sometimes with the characters that have the stronger, working-class accents, I do lose a few words...particularly if they are said in a clipped or sotto voce manner. :huh:

Also the kitchen scenes are usually noisy and crowded, so it's easier to miss words or lines.

20. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I think Cora impulsively hiring Edna is totally within her character. Where I fault the writers is Cora trusting Barrows against Anna without even asking Anna about it. Other servants, yes, I can see Cora taking Barrows' word at face value, but not Anna. Cora I think would at least have had a word with Mary about it. It was sloppy writing.

Rose annoys me. Maybe she'll get eaten by sharks.

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Add me to those who were :wuzrobbed when Mary broke down crying. I even got teary-eyed when I heard her and Carson's scene as part of a radio review. :shuffle:

As for Edith and her would-be German citizen beau ... I'm thinking that might not end well ... or at least have quite a bit of complications. (Nightmarish visions of baby Sybil and George with cousins in the Hitler-Jugend.) :scream:

:lol: Rose annoys me just as much as she did last season -- and I'm a bit upset with Anna getting herself involved in helping Rose cover up her antics.

ETA: Thomas/Barrow back to his :EVILLE: ways -- you knew it was only a matter of time. But glad that nasty Nanny West got the :kickass:.

22. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

http://prettyfluffy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Downton-Abbey-Tail-wag.jpg

To those in the "know". I watched the first EP while working and missed few issues. Can someone help?

Q1: Why did Lady Mary fire the baby's nurse? Did the Nurse "say" or "do" something? I could not tell...

Q2: How did M-me Cora lose her maid? by some kind of "conspiracy" or "trick" from a relative's wife? Why was M-me Cora so upset about loosing a maid? Was that a special maid? I had an impression that after WWI english nobility was loosing money and estates, and had to let go many servants who desparately were seeking new positions....

23. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

q1. Cora fired the nanny, she overheard the nanny talking nice to baby George and calling baby Sybil nasties names (halfbreed). Cora fired her on the sport in such a calm way

Q2 episode began w someone leaving downtown n leaving notes, and it was O'Brien. Actress left the show after least season and they had her in last seasons episode bond w the cousin in sScotland that was going tomIndia. O'Brien mentioned she wanted to travel and the cousins maid did not so O'Brien was offered the job as stated in the season opener.

24. GoldenLady

GoldenLady Member

Thanks for the info! The dog in the opening credits is clearly a different dog from the one who plays Isis; the one in the credits is stockier and very masculine-looking, while Isis is delicate and feminine, so this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the quotes, too. :)

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Quite a few dogs have been cast as Isis over the years.

It must be getting near time for Isis to pass on and the Earl of Grantham to get a new puppy. How many years have passed since the series began? Isis was an adult at the start of the series and appears not to have aged at all.

26. dardar1126

Twitter:

:skandal

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

As followers of CuteOverload know ... the correct term when referring to animal butts is "tocks." :D

28. dardar1126

This is how Allen Leech/Tom Branson refers to it:

:p

29. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

I also thought Lord Grantham was going to toss the letter - and Mary's legacy - into the fireplace. Nice touch, that fire.
    I am totally disappointed in the Eville Barrow rehash. Honestly. Lazy writing. So much to create drama about and they recycle this.
    I'm thinking Mary can learn estate management in, oh, 2 hours. Grantham was trying to sandbag her at the dinner. Pathetic. Hope he gets his, and gets it good in this season.
    I'm also hoping they continue Daisy's storyline with her father in law. I want her to ditch the kitchen and take up farming - get out from under the thumb of everyone and enjoy life a bit, and quit pining over the doofus footman who's chasing the *other* kitchenmaid.
    Looking forward to Rose's next affair. I get a kick out of her.

30. dardar1126