Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Most PBS affiliates are re-airing Season 4 (2-3 episodes per week), and are having multiple showings of the Downton Abbey: Rediscovered special during December...leading up to the premiere of Season 5 and the new special The Manners of Downton Abbey (hosted by their historical adviser Alistair Bruce).

3. dardar1126

4. dardar1126

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wyliefan likes this.
  6. dardar1126

7. dardar1126

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

9. dardar1126

Scrufflet likes this.
  10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have finished the second episode of season 4. Three words: I HATE EDNA! HATE! HATE! HATE!

11. tamuno

tamuno Member

Hello! Did you just start watching? She first appeared in the last episode of season 3- Journey to the Highlands.

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I started watching 4-5 days ago. I have had so little sleep. I am a bit of a zombie.

Yeah, she was in the season 3 finale. And I hated her then, too. But after episode 2 of season 4, I HATED her. Edna sucks!

I am wiped. I have wasted a cold but dry Saturday watching the last few eps of season 4. Apparently, season 5 is to begin in NA in January? Ugh, I need my DA fix!!!!

I resisted the hype for so long (also, I just have an aversion for all these supposedly brilliant edgy shows on supposedly brilliant edgy cable networks starring supposedly brilliant edgy movie actors), but I have succumbed. My favourite aspect of DA is how they give virtually every single character their bit of humanity. They all want to belong, they all want to be of use, they all have a dream.

Well, not everyone. Besides looking good shirtless, Jimmy is quite the useless character.

Anyways, my thoughts:

1. I don't think Bates murdered Green. Bates is just too ho-hum. Even if he had a good reason to kill him, he'd still be quite tortured about it.

2. Some characters that I initially disliked but ended up appreciating: Ivy (kinda boring, and the show has never been able to quite replace the character of Gwen, but I did ended up liking her by the end due to her free spirit, sensibility and her wanting to do more with her life); Rose (her type of character has often caused other shows to drop, but the show did a smart job of making her a lively spirit even with her troubles).

3. My favourite male character is Branson. For one, the actor is so dreamy. Also, he has a wonderful chemistry with Violet and Isobel. I think it will be quite hard for writers to make a truly compelling romance for him, because any romantic interest for him won't have much of a connection to the rest of cast. She can't be a "friend" or "relation" with the Crawleys. And I don't think the writers can realistically putt him with, say, Mrs. Hughes' long-lost niece or whatever. I like the teacher character, but I don't think she's all that long term, story wise.

4. My favourite female character is Sybil (see a trend?). Oh man--I was SHOCKED when she died. I love her spirit, her generosity (Sybill/Gwen is my favourite upstairs/downstairs relationship). I find that with these types of shows where there is a lot of opulence on display, the character who has they audacity to question such opulence is viewed as the "wet blanket". Sybil, I thought, did a wonderful job of being so indifferent to it without annoying anyone.

5. My favourite romantic relationship: Duh, it's Branson and Sybil. It hasn't been perfect, granted. I thought in the second season, Sybil took SO LONG to accept him that sometimes I was wondering if she even liked him. I thought their relationship was hit hardest by the endless Bates/Anna/Mrs. Bates saga. Shame because I friggin' LOVED Bates and Anna in season 1. But no romance in DA has been perfectly written. However, I am *really* looking forward to the continuing growth in the Baxter/Molesly relationship. PLEASE, keep them together. I hope we can find out what is Baxter's secret. Kinda ridiculous that they haven't revealed it without so much as a crumble. I get all itchy whenever the writers put Molesly in such embarrassing and humiliating situations (same for Edith, although a part of Edith's popularity/appeal is her underdog status), so I was quite gratified when he ended up in quite a nice position by the end of the fourth season. Meanwhile, I will always have a soft spot for Carson and Hughes.

6. I didn't like any of the new suitors for Mary. They need to start over. One is a stalker. The other is too perfect.

7. Favourite scenes: First scene: Bates serving Anna a meal. Second season: Violet trying to bring back a wounded William back to Downton. Third season: Cora saying goodbye to a dead Sybil. Fourth season: The nursery scene with Isobel, Mary and Branson, retelling when they fell in love with their lost spouses.

skatesindreams and ChelleC like this.
  13. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

14. tamuno

tamuno Member

I have seen the whole of season 5 and I have to say it's almost uncanny how near accurate your observations are. But I have to ask, why do you say Charles is too perfect? ( I don't have to ask who the stalker is)

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Charles is an aristocrat who knows everything there is to know about pigs, apparently. I don't know, he seemed to be too ideal for my tastes (critical of the old system, yet fancied up to the likes of Mary very easily). Of course, it may have had more to do with the fact that I am quite partial to Napier. Napier gets ignored yet again. At least when it was the Turkish guy, he had the courtesy of dying. I'm assuming Charles has a longer shelf life on the series.

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's funny, I didn't even remember Napier after his first episode. I mean....can you blame me? Mr. Pamuk!

But having seen every episode through season 4 at least twice, omg...Napier is pure class. A gentleman on paper and as a person. Pick him, Mary, pick him!

17. dardar1126

18. dardar1126