Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. tamuno

tamuno Member

I got 80% even though I've seen the episode more than numerous times. I don't know........I like Julian Ovenden but that picture of him makes him look like Artful Dodger. I think for him like Matthew before him, he should mind his camera angles. Dan Stevens despite his beautiful looks had a weak chin and sometimes the camera did not flatter his profile at all. Ovenden sometimes appears even shorter than I think he is.

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Julian Ovenden is on Person of Interest tonight on CBS...he's playing a baddie with a beard! :cool:

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I love Martha. One of my favorite scenes all season was when she sat down Lord Golddigger and told him to visit her at her cottage in Newport, where she'd introduce him to rich widows who would happily fund him in exchange for a title.

If she were really that mean, she would have married him and only let him know afterwards that the money was tied up in trust and going to her son when she died -- or at least have led him on until close to the ceremony -- and good luck getting a dime from him.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Cora needs an Anna. Someone who is unfailingly loyal and wants the best for you but will still tell you the truth when you ask for it ... and sometimes when you don't.

But maybe that kind of relationship can only happen when it's someone who's grown up with you.

5. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I agree that in Season One, Edith was annoying as all heck. And the letter she wrote to the Turkish Embassy was horriby mean.

But 2 things about the Edith -Mary rivalry. First, Edith has almost completely let it go, and has done so for several seasons. Since Season One, Edith has hurled only a few zingers towards Mary. So the last time she really was an instigator was before the war. She's become much more mature and nicer since then. Mary, on the other hand, continues to pick on Edith all the time.

The second thing about their rivalry, which they both started to verbalize in the middle of season one was theirs was never a "fair" rivalry. By that I mean that Mary needed to be superior to Edith in every single way imaginable. Edith picked on Mary to show she was Mary's equal, whereas Mary picked on Edith to show she was Edith's superior. When Anthony, whom Mary didn't even want, began to show interest in Edith, Mary set out to demonstrate that she could indeed win "every prize." Both of them said that. Mary wanted to be more loved, more important, more admired...Edith never wanted to be more anything, she was just trying to be considered equally important.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i have a strong desire to punch edith every time she is on screen

::it's a show it's a show::

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. In series 1 in particular, Edith's not exactly the innocent bystander, she's just less-sophisticated about getting her digs in than Mary, who can time her snark well. She also, I think, enjoyed rubbing in to Mary that she was grieving more than Mary for Patrick and I suspect even before he died this wasn't the start of her picking at her sister out of jealousy. If anything she's learned to pick her battles.

I don't think Edith getting asked to dance less than the Dowager is about much more than etiquette demands Violet get asked by SOMEONE.

8. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Finally watched the finale last night. Aw. Some nice moments. But not an OMG-what-will-happen-next kind of episode. But then, it isn't Scandal....

Twas interesting to see Rose self-possessed and quite impressive with royalty, clearly she knows how to behave when she wants to. And I would lock Violet and Isabel in a carriage with a camera for an entire episode, they are by far my favorite duo.

I'm sort of sorry to discover that Charles is a scion. I'm firmly on his team, like the chemistry (and his politics :p) and wanted Mary to end up with another non-toff. I think Matthew's middle-class background had a great impact in broadening her mind and outlook and I want the process to continue. Chilly lady, but certainly intelligent. And snarky.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I actually like the idea of Mary with someone titled and all that; in fact I'd rather she marry above her position into a family that is fabulously wealthy with beautiful houses full of servants and 12 pieces of silver at every meal. I'd love to see Mary head of a big household and let Tom and Edith be the landowners and muck about with the pigs. :p

10. tamuno

tamuno Member

Frankly I think Blake's toff-ness will have no bearing on his views. He's a Lloyd George liberal.

11. my little pony

i look forward to him calling hitler the greatest living german

should be fun if edith's baby daddy ever returns

12. tamuno

tamuno Member

For the record I was talking about Charles Blake not Michael Gregson who is in Munich and fathered Edith' s child.
    I also liked almost everything Mrs Levinson wore especially the white one she wore when they were trying to get her to go to the theatre. That one was fantastic and looked like something a rich lady might wear today.

13. my little pony

yes, that's who i thought you were talking about

14. dardar1126

Twitter:

:dog:

15. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I've read the dog has a bit of a canine crush on Allen Leech and the trainers sometimes find it hard to get her to stay with Hugh Bonneville because she wants to go to Allen all the time. :lol:

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Especially having seen him (and I do mean almost ALL of him) on HBO's "Rome"...I really can't blame the dog that much.

17. dardar1126

Twitter:

18. Artemis@BC

Lucky folks in the Toronto area: "Dressing for Downton" exhibit at the Spadina Museum, March 11 - Apr 13.

19. dardar1126

Twitter:

20. dardar1126

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

No, youarenotright: I'm not on the Mrs. Hughes and Carson bandwagon. She deserves way better than him :mitchell:.

22. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Not to change the subject, but any of you folks into Call the Midwife? Another British PBS show?

23. Artemis@BC

Very much so! New season starts this Sunday, I'm very excited.

Check out the "All Things PBS" thread.

24. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks.

25. dardar1126

26. puglover

puglover Active Member

I love Call the Midwife as well. Perhaps all the childbirth moans are not appealing to all but it is so well written and I adore the characters - especially Chummy.

27. dardar1126

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  28. my little pony

is it wrong that i am relieved that this one is prettier than the last one?

29. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

The new Sybbie is so cute! Also - DUCKFACE!!!! (Anyone who hasn't seen Four Weddings won't get it) - she should be perfect as Lady Anstruther. Can't wait til the new season starts!

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The new Sybbie is a doll.