Downton Abbey - Season 4 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 31, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

NOTE: This site is currently having problems...timing out...may have to try again later.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

ooo I like one of those additions very much - just an actor and new character name for those who don't mind getting slightly spoiled on casting only -
    Richard E Grant as Simon Bricker, a guest who visits Downton

Works for me - I got Charles Blake. Not a huge fan, but I'd rather have him than the alternatives! DA needs more hot eligible men :)

3. znachki

znachki Active Member

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Znachki beats me again ...

(What, were hitting refresh every 20 seconds? It's only been up a few minutes. :lol:)

Lady Edith: "Why do men fight over you? You're a total asshole."

And a guest posting by God ... :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

"I think he wants to be the recipient of some of your charitable acts, if you get my drift"

:rofl:

6. dardar1126

I also got Blake. :)

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

does farmer drewe even have a wife?

8. Artemis@BC

I believe he mentioned a wife and kids when he first appeared on the scene.

9. znachki

znachki Active Member

:cool: Nope, just happened to go over there to check. I was surprised that you hadn't already posted it.

I have to say, the snark was worth the wait.

Also, I'm already spoiled for what lies ahead, and all I can say is, (expectation - no detail)
    it has the potential to inspire the FB recap to end all FB recaps

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  10. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I have just caught up on the season, I thought it was the best yet.

I really wish Tomas would evolve as a character. It seems every times he gets a bit nicer, he goes back to being mean, and it is not that interesting. I think he could have an interesting story line by finding some great love and mellowing up - somehow. I always felt he had a lot of potential.

I don't understand what everyone sees in Mary. She almost always look like she is bored. Edith is so much more interesting, and also very pretty.

I think Daisy is my favorite, she is just so sweet, if a bit naïve, and she really tries to work hard and be better.

the most interesting part for me is how the children are brought up - I didn't realize how little they would see them and I agree with some posters that it is a bit surprising. As a parent you tend to think of them all the time, I am not sure why you would not, even if you have someone to deal with the annoying stuff (such as diaper changes...). I also wonder why Mary isn't feeding George. When Sibyl was born, there was a discussion about finding a nurse for her, and how they would not need it for that long since there was a new way of feeding infants 'physicians formula' - which was very much experimental at that point. I would have thought that if it was not normal for the gentry to nurse their own babies, a nurse would already have been lined up?

I think Rose is so much fun, I really think she was a nice addition, since she was the only one who was really joyful and carefree - even Sibyl wasn't. Of course now she will probably be all sad - I don't think it will last too long, hopefully.

11. dardar1126

I agree with you about Thomas; he needs more to do than hover over Baxter looking for info/ammunition. I hope that next season he will be given an interesting story line that leads to some personal growth.

12. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I think that may have been one of the best Facebook recaps yet! Loved all of the moments mentioned above, but my favourite was Isobel sharing the buzzfeed "what kind of politician are you?" quiz with Tom and that he got Limousine Liberal.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Wait, he isn't the farmer that Edith was caught canoodling with by his wife?

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about that. She really gets around, that Edith :)

That farmer was Drake.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Got my farmers confused.

16. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I really enjoyed your post! (And Bostonfan - loved all of your perspectives on the various storylines.)

MaatTheViking, I would have completely agreed with your perspective on Rose until this past episode. Up to now, she seemed quite kind-hearted. And she did seem to have genuine romantic feelings toward Jack. Yet the fact that the idea of her mother's face crumbling at the thought of a black future son-in-law filled Rose with such glee didn't sit well with me. Since that would likely be her mother's reaction, I would think she'd be giving an awful lot of thought to both how she should prepare Jack for the intial meeting, and how she could help prepare Jack for the lifelong difficulties to come. She changed from fun, open-mided, and harmless in my view to quite hurtful and thoughtless with respect to Jack.

Great perspective on Sybil. Although she was always so pleasant and kind, I never noticed that she wasn't the joyful person that Rose is. I guess this is due in part to the fact that, unlike Rose, she was very concerned with not hurting her parents. So I guess that restrained her a bit.

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Lady Edith and The Farmers would be a good name for a bluegrass band.

18. dardar1126

Twitter:

19. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think Bates and Anna are doomed--the only chance they have is if both actors decide to stay till they stop making the show.

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Why would she be doing that, though? Young, carefree, liberated people don't think like that, especially in the Twenties. She's a classic "limousine liberal"--she doesn't care that he's black as far as dating him goes, but she's utterly clueless about what that actually MEANS for him (much, much worse than it means now), let alone what being engaged to a wealthy aristocratic girl would mean. She also likely isn't used to seeing genuine consequences for herself--Mummy calling her dress slutty is bad but makes her feel heroic for wearing it. That Mummy might very well disown her and Daddy would go along with it because marrying a black man is just too far is I think beyond her comprehension. Rose is nice and sweet and fun and "progressive", but she's not really clear on consequences because she's never really faced any other than the "woe is me, I'm so trapped by boring conventional people." (She only avoided a nasty comeuppance involving the married guy last time because Matthew shut it down hard.) She kind of IS the 'fast young things of the Twenties' set, cruising for a nasty wakeup when the party ends with the markets crashing. Ironically Mary and Tom may set Downton up to ride that out better than Rose's fast-living crowd. Here, though, it seems like again a man's going to save her (because Jack's smart and has LIVED the reality of being black in the Twenties. If anything he knows running off to America would make it worse. They could I suppose go off to more open-minded France but that's going to suck hard in a few years, too.)

As far as why Mary over Edith up thread, maattheViking: Mary's strikingly beautiful soaked in pig mud, let alone dressed for the evening. Edith's pretty if you do her hair nicely and put her in the right clothes. (Though the one I never got was Sibyl. I guess she had a cute factor but she was never what I'd cal beautiful.)

21. Artemis@BC

Well that ... and the time period. Sybil came out just before the war started, and spent much of the war caring for the injured and dying. Coupled with her own innate compassion, that's bound to knock all the joy out of a girl. Rose, oth, gets to come out during the swingingest, most carefree time the western world has seen thus far. With her parents on another continent no less.

22. dardar1126

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

gasp! i think sybil is beee yoooo teee ful. poor edith looks a lot like a bottle opener to me.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Totally agree. Sybil is someone who can pull off red lipstick for a change. Hawt!

25. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I think Sybil was too much of a thinker to be happy go easy like Rose. She was questioning her privilege, her parents, and then came the war and Tom.

I don't think Mary isn't pretty, but I just don't think she has so much else going for her (well, except the money).

26. Artemis@BC

I think a lot of that has to be fakework, put in to conveniently place Baxter in the centre of all the action (and of course to introduce another "modern convenience" into the timeline). Nothing we've seen of Cora has ever indicated that she's even remotely active or clumsy enough to warrant a lot of clothes mending, and aside perhaps from the odd nightgown I can't imagine Baxter is actually making any clothes for her ladyship.

I'd imagine that the bulk of the clothing maintenance work required by a lady's maid, at least in terms of time, is cleaning, not mending. But that would put Baxter and Anna out the line of sight and conversation. We've seen various maids and valets in the "shoe cleaning room" a few times, but I don't think we've ever seen the Downton laundry room. Washing, drying, ironing ... all takes place somewhere hidden!

27. tamuno

tamuno Member

In season one, she needed a button sewn on her coat or something and came downstairs to give it to O'Brien. That's about it. Also the footman Lang I think was sewing his lordship's shirt at one point when O'Brien admired it. Remember?

Mikemba, I saw your PM. Thanks.

28. Artemis@BC

^ Oh yes, there's been a lot of sewing going on in that servants' hall over the years. That's the main set they've built for all the downstairs action, so it makes sense that they'd use it as much as possible. And sewing is quiet action that can be taking place while conversations are going on at the same time, so as a staging device it's very effective.

29. tamuno

tamuno Member

Exactly. This one is just noticeable because it's a noisy sewing machine.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I can see it for plot purposes, but it would be fun to see the servants performing other duties now and then. Gosford Park did a good job of showing a broad spectrum of duties in the space of one movie, and I know they had several retired servants acting as consultants to ensure accuracy.

For those interested in such things, especially in the kitchen, if you can get hold of the old BBC series The Victorian Kitchen, it's fascinating. For the program, they found a relic kitchen and fixed it up to the period, hired a former cook (who also happened to consult on Gosford Park), and a younger girl as the kitchenmaid. There's also a book that accompanied the series, and it was a companion to the equally interesting Victorian Kitchen Garden series, in which they followed a full year in a traditional walled garden.