Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I had never seen Jeremy Piven before I watched the show but to me (and I'm no authority on acting) he was absolutely horrendous. I'm not generally bothered by acting quality, but I just thought he was completely unbelievable, over the top and made it really hard to watch. I think you're right about it being another joint production - they've maybe realised they're onto a good thing with Downton and are trying to replicate it.
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

3. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed. The best episode so far has been the one where
    he's in a coma
    . I like Agnes and Frances O'Connor (Mrs. Selfridge) very much, so I watch for them. Plus, the plotlines have been interesting.
  4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

jeremy piven has been sort of greasy in everything that happened post rudy
  5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

6. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

After listening to my mom and sis rave about DA, I finally started getting it on Netflix. Needless to say I'm hooked! :lol: I finished Season 1 the other night and am anxiously awaiting the next disc. Totally jealous of all those who have a new episode to watch tonight!
  7. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting tonights episode!
  8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I love how the servants just wander into the dining room and start talking to the family members. In your dreams, Fellowes. :lol:

ETA: I wish Branson would get over the identity crisis already. It's getting boring.

(Also, how cute is that baby?? :swoon: )
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  9. my little pony

annoying new maid is annoying

o'brien's counterpart is creepy

a little :grope: would do matthew's mother a lot of good

someone's determined to make me like thomas

edited to add that annoying new maid is stalkery
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

11. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I feel the same. WTH!!!!!!!
  13. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

OK, what? I've finished watching season 3 and am not sure which episode is airing tonight.

And yes, Miss Sybbie is uber cute and kinda even looks like Lady Sybil--great casting!
  15. PRlady

We will not spoil you West Coasters. I'm going to bed.
  16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I've finished watching weeks ago and know what happens but am not sure which one you all are watching and don't want to spoil YOU! :D
  17. znachki

znachki Active Member

We're all watching the Christmas Special, so...
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh yeah. Merry Christmas from Mr. Fellowes, eh?
  19. my little pony

oh the bright side, on 60 minutes he said he will never kill off lady violet. she would just visit the seaside and never come back.
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

He wouldn't dare.
  21. jlai

jlai Title-less

It gets boring if they keep "killing off" actors who don't want to return

eta: On another note, Mrs. Crawley doesn't act like anxious at all the entire episode. I know she used to be a nurse, but can one play a level-headed nurse all the time?
  22. PRlady

Well, looks like Baby Crawley will be of age just in time for World War II.
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I don't like the sound of that.
  24. kittyjake5

Sheeesh..........
  25. Wyliefan

Wish he'd done that with all the actors who wanted to leave. They could all just go have a nice long stay at the seaside. :)

(Like wishing someone into the cornfield, only in a good way!)
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yeah, that was gnarly. I was SO glad I was spoiled and braced myself when I watched it, otherwise :wuzrobbed and :fragile:
  27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Oh for crap's sake! :mad: I was spoiled about this weeks ago but still....

At this point, Edith has either dodged a bullet or is looking like a genius. Because apparently Crawley grandchildren can't have two parents.
  28. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

For some reason, I feel the most for Mrs Crawley and wonder if Anna will take the blame for the accident somehow. She did order the car after all.
  29. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Fellowes provides the rationale for Matthew's death in quotes in this article. I think it would have been a lot easier to write Lady Sybil out without killing her off, but I guess they already had grand plans for the Tom character.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-option-but-to-kill-off-Downtons-Matthew.html
    Mr AYS and I just joined the DA bandwagon about a week and a half ago - we watched every night to catch up and be able to watch the final episode when it actually aired, and now I'm kind of unhappy I did, because Matthew became one of my favorite characters. :( Too bad he wasn't willing to even commit to limited episodes. I accidentally found out this happens a few days ago (if the Matthew Crawley Wiki page comes up in a related Google search, you actually see the dates of his life as 1890-1921 without even opening the link) - and it was still hard to watch.

Something like this actually occurred to me, but what I think is likely to happen along those lines is that she'll blame herself, others won't.
  30. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

It's easier to write off the DC than Sybil or Matthew. Sybil and Matthew are part of a couple and it would be difficult to write them off without figuring out what to do with the actors who play their respective spouses, who I doubt want to be written off the show as well. I mean, sure, it could have been written that Matthew had to help Shrimpy in Bombay on some emergency but it would be more difficult for Matthew just to not be around for long periods of time than it would be for Cranmer to be in Cantebury (even though he played an integral role in Kitty Howard's downfall).
  31. kittyjake5

Thanks for the article but to me it is poppycock. Fellows IMO could have easily replaced Stevens. Matthew's part could have simply
    been re-casted.
  32. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Do they do that on British shows?
  33. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Imagine how it was for us British viewers who were totally unspoiled yet had to deal with this in an alleged 'Christmas special' on Christmas night!!! The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. It had nothing to do with Christmas, nothing about the episode was special, and if they had to do it they should have waited for a day other than freakin Christmas! :rolleyes:

They should have ended the series rather than killed him off. It's just been going downhill anyway...
    AYS and (deleted member) like this.
  34. my little pony

yes, being single and childless w a little job should be looking pretty good to her right now
  35. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

You have my sympathy, I can definitely see how it would put a damper on the day for folks. I was definitely bummed out by it. It seems as though the producers/writers may have misjudged the emotional attachment people had for the series and the characters and the impact it would have - to air it on Christmas. Or they are simply :EVILLE:
  36. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think it's really tainted my whole view of the series. I'm so bitter about it! After the uplifting 'Call the Midwife' special, I wasn't expecting that ending :drama: It would have bummed me out any time, but on Christmas...pure evil :fragile:
  37. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

No one does that any more except on genuine cheap soaps (ie whatever's left of the American ones where they're still filming on VHS and pretending viewers care--guys, when shows that have been running since radio days are getting cancelled, the writing is on the wall, your daytime genre is dead.) People just don't buy the "My, you don't look ANY DIFFERENT AT ALL" stuff any more.

And I could see, if they'd been okay with putting Branson on as a guest only, they could have written Sybil out more easily without killing her (they just live in Ireland) but Matthew it would get kind of old with "Matthew just went upstairs" or "Matthew's been posted to India", though I suppose that could have worked, sorta, kinda, but it wouldn't have been very believable he'd take off and leave Mary and the baby (anyone taking bets it's going to be Baby Matthew?)

Who'd have thought Edith would have the most potentially happy storyline when she's essentially in a modern Jane Eyre? Of course, we've also got Rose coming now (with her mother hopefully staying far far FAR away in India, what an unpleasant person.)

And of course: Mosley is the Butt Monkey. He CANNOT win. Ever.

They continue to amaze me with how I can go hot and cold on Thomas. On the one hand, dumb move. On the other...well played, Fellowes, selfless heroism. And I can believe Thomas would be that nuts. Also loved the bonding with Carson, Mrs. Hughes, and Mrs. Patmore.

New maid: Buh-bye now, buh-bye. Nice knowing you. (Not really.) What a pushy....word I probably can't use here. Ethel was just a bit dim and impulsive and blundered into her problems, she's practically stalking Branson. Who's clearly still rather shell-shocked, silly as that is a year on (I completely believe he's still grieving Sybil and does not want to love again, I just find his social awkwardness and discomfort in his family role more awkward than it should be. Not marrying again or being ready to move on? Believable. But his discomfort with his new job and relationships would make more sense if this had been "six weeks later", not one year later.)

Speaking of implausible ages, considering Isis was a full-grown dog in the first episode (April 1912), meaning at LEAST 9-10 months old and probably older, isn't she getting up there for a Lab? (I know they've actually used a couple different doggy actors, but come on.) Large/meds usually are considered "senior" at eight or so and elderly at 11-12.
  38. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Well, I wasn't spoiled, hence the :fragile: and :wuzrobbed in my post last night.

"Entertainment Weekly spoke to Downton exec Gareth Neame to find out why Matthew had to be killed off, how Mary will move on, and where the series goes from here." http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/17/downton-abbey-matthew-death/

LA Times' review: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ics-notebook-downton-20130218,0,1918708.story

Interview with actor Dan Stevens last summer: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...an-stevens-interview-20130128,0,3826712.story
  39. Wyliefan

Maybe this dog is Isis, Jr.!
  40. my little pony

please do not comment on the dog's age, look how that worked out on revenge. i just can't do it again.

i wonder if david caruso watched last night's show and screamed, "noooooooooooooooo."