Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

No need for anyone to worry about needing the swill basin. :lol: I think the odds that there would be any feelings remotely unfatherly towards Daisy by her father-in-law is barely more than the likelihood of Carson going off in hot pursuit of Lady Violet -- or Ethel. :p

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Ick, I agree. And they explicitly had the conversation in series two where he told her about how he and his wife had other children who didn't survive infancy, William their only surviving child was gone, and he overtly asked her to let him consider her his daughter. I'm not sure if he's ever REALLY cottoned on that Daisy didn't feel like she'd been honest with William, but leaving her the farm (well, tenancy plus stock and equipment) makes sense without any squicky overtones. She's really all he has left in the world. If he doesn't leave it to her, everything would basically have to go to the landlord.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yes, I know he's a tenant farmer ... but I don't recall it ever being said that it was specifically a Downton estate tenancy.

It always seems to be a bit of a journey when Daisy goes to his farm, but of course that doesn't mean anything as the estate could be very wide spread. But there are other landowners in the area too.

Sorry for even bringing up the idea of Mr Mason being anything other than fatherly toward Daisy. I only mention it because I recently got back from visiting my 90-year-old cousin, a farmer, and a very sweet man but randy bugger who will go after anyone in a skirt. Age or family relationship is irrelavant. Not fair to layer that on to y'all, though, so my apologies!

4. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

There is such a thing as too much information,honest:slinkaway

5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Perhaps Fellows was just practicing for the American period drama he's supposedly working on.

6. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I didn't get anything squicky from the Daisy/ William's father thing. He's just a kind old man who has lost his family, and Daisy is the closest thing to family he has left. Besides it has never been legal to marry one's father-in-law in the UK.

7. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

ITA! :)

8. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I haven't gone back to check, but my recollection of the scene where they talk about the possibility of her taking over had him specifically mention that they like Daisy up at the house and that would make it much more certain that she would be accepted as the new tenant. I certainly took it to mean he was talking about Downton. Also, when William was still around I seem to recall that those at the house knew his father well, presumably because he was a local tenant. As far as the story goes, of course it has to be a Downton farm, otherwise not so important for plot development.

9. danceronice

Eh, I interpreted that as just if there were any issues about Daisy inheriting, them at the big house would make sure whoever the landlord is would accept Daisy, not necessarily that he was one of the Earl's tenants. When William's mother was dying and when Daisy goes to visit it's implied they needed quite a bit of travel time, while the Downton tenants seem to be within a short drive or even walk. If the Earl says to the landlord "I don't care if she's a kitchen maid or cook's assistant, she's the man's daughter-in-law and his heir," he's not likely to argue much.

10. Artemis@BC

There's a lot of Downton humour out there at the moment ... but this is my favourite so far. (And it's re: episode 5 so no spoilers here!)

If Downton Abbey happened entirely on Facebook

So much good funny here, but my faves:

"Tom Branson has posted a new photo in the album Sybil (the baby, not my dead wife)" :rofl:

"Thomas has checked in to Jimmy Kent's knee." :rofl:

"Mr Bates is attending the event Stocky Men Over 50 Walking Around and Around In Circles" :rofl:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. znachki

znachki Active Member

Totally bookmarking this.

My favorite is Lord Grantham has checked in at Isobel Crawley's House. The entire exchange. :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Artemis@BC

Yes, that was hilarious. Also the entire exchange of "Mr Travis Attended the event Dinner at Downton Abbey" :rofl:

All the previous episodes from this season have been done too, but this episode was the best imo.

13. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

really??? I didn't at all.. seemed very fatherly and appropriate to me..

that is an hilarious site.. thanks for the link :)

14. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

OMG....TOO funny!! :rofl:

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:rofl:

16. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

"Cora: How's your friend DOCTOR MURDER doing?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I adore "Life on Facebook" style posts. Slate.com used to do a White House one that was hilarious.

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

I've just watched tonight's 2-hour episode. So is there only one remaining?

18. zee703

zee703 New Member

I believe there is only one episode left, unfortunately. Having two hours tonight was great. Is it my imagination or is Lady Edith getting more attractive (noticed it first when she was meeting the magazine editor for the first time)? The biggest surprise for me tonight was Thomas giving Bates a cryptic message for O'Brien (about the soap). I'm surprised he'd kept that to himself once he figured out O'Brien was sticking the proverbial knife in him via Jimmy.

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe because it would have come out that he knew virtually since it happened but never said anything?

20. danceronice

Thomas, you are not foul because you're gay.

However, the blackmail, petty theft, attempts to sabotage Bates, essentially wounding yourself to get out of the war after trying to get into a cushy non-combat position first, foray into black marketeering, and scheme to 'rescue' Isis after stealing her in the first place might make you want to reconsider other aspects of your life. (To say nothing of the way he treated William before the war, using Daisy to do it....yeah, I would say that being gay is about the one thing about you NOT foul.)

21. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Lady Edith IS getting more attractive! After this ends, O'Brien should get a gig on Y & R; she'd run rings around everyone!

22. Artemis@BC

Yes, 1 more episode, but it's a 90 minute one. Last night was the end of the regular season 3. Next week it's the "special episode" that aired at Christmas time in the UK, though in Downtonland it doesn't take place at Christmas. (Summer in the Highlands in fact! I don't think I'm spoiling anything there.)

This. I was thinking all along as this story was playing out how much I hated the fact that it was Thomas's homosexuality that was getting him thrown out, after all the heinous things he's done over the years.

I knew it would be Bates who fixed things, though. Going through his own injustice, he would have hated to see anyone suffer that way, even the hated Thomas. I love having Bates back at Downton, he really is a moral compass.

What was Robert's line? Something about "My goodness if I'd thrown a fit every time some boy at Eton tried to kiss me ..." :lol:

I too think Edith is becoming more attractive, but I think it's because her personality is more attractive. She still can't catch a break romantically (a wife in an asylum? really?) but at least she has the ego boost of having someone who's interested in her. I'm sure things will develop there ...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  23. znachki

znachki Active Member

I don't think that at that point he'd really figured out that it was her. But he had kind of given up on everything. I see it this way, that for once he really thought that he had something, and Jimmy didn't help (or wasn't helped by O'Brien) by not saying something earlier.

Also, I think it was much more effective for Bates to bring up the soap. O'Brien could have no way of knowing exactly how much Bates knew. Since Bates would seem a disinterested party, anything he told Grantham or Carson would be taken at face value and not seen as a vendetta.

As for Edith - of course the guy she's attracted to, and that is attracted to her has a wife. Can't let her have one good thing now, can we? Kudos to her though for checking him out, and for confronting him with it.

24. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I thought Robert's attitude toward Thomas' homosexuality was refresshing and unexpected, considering how stuffy he is about Edith's "fallen woman" contaminating pressence. Evidence of the mighty Double Standard of the day, true, but still pretty liberal of him. And yay for Bates for doing the dirty work to get O'Brien to flip sides yet again.

25. skatingfan5

:eek: I know you meant Ethel. :lol: Poor Edith hasn't even had a chance of being a "fallen woman" yet ... although there was that moment in the barn with the tenant farmer (I've forgotten his name).

ETA: I'm glad that Ethel got at least a bit of a "semi-happy ending." I knew that Mrs. Bryant had a soft-spot for Ethel's plight and wanted her to have some contact with her child.

O'Brien looked as though she had just swallowed bitter poison after having to retract her advice to Jimmy. And having Jimmy be promoted to head footman (after all her conniving to secure that position for Edward) was a real case of being hoist with her own petard.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  26. znachki

znachki Active Member

I've always felt that the Brit's had a much more relaxed take on homosexuality that the Americans (at least the upper classes). I've always figured that the British Public school tradition was part of that. There is certainly a lot that has been written that makes it fairly clear that what Grantham said is true. Of course, throwing a bunch of boys together like that, it's going to happen.

In other news.... waiting impatiently for the Downton Abbey Facebook Recap...

27. Artemis@BC

I know you meant Albert. :cool:

To me she looked terrified more than bitter. It really is a terrible secret, more so than anyone else's either upstairs or down.

I don't actually remember her confiding in Thomas about what she'd done with "her ladyship's soap," but I guess it makes sense that she would, given how close they used to be, and how guilty she felt afterward. More fool here, though -- she more than anyone knew what Thomas was capable of.

Me too! They might be taking longer though since there are 2 episodes to do (they appear to be on the PBS schedule).

28. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Actually, I know YOU really mean Alfred! ;)

29. skatingfan5

Oops! :lol: Yes, I did mean Alfred. I must have had Edward in my head as the name of a footman, from all those seasons watching the original Upstairs/Downstairs. U/D also had a Daisy, but she was a housemaid, not in the kitchen like Downton's Daisy (who is miles ahead of poor Ruby, the U/D kitchen maid). Mrs. Hughes = Mrs. Bridges; Carson = Hudson, Anna = Rose (who was the anti-O'Brien, although having the same position). Lavinia, of course, followed the fate of poor Hazel. :( Following this set of equivalents, I suppose Sarah was a combination of Ethel and Sybil, since she had a child out of wedlock after an affair with her employer's son (James/Jimmy) and then was married off to Thomas the chauffeur. Lots of room for mixing up names between those two sets of characters. :lol:

Yes, she definitely was shaken and looked like she was in extremis. I said bitter poison -- it was nasty going down but she has no way of knowing if it was a lethal dose (i.e. Bates knew everything) -- or how quickly (or delayed) it might take full effect.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

what type of gyn surgery would have been available to mary to help her get pregnant?