Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well, they haven't had the christening yet. How about Brigit Oonagh Siobhan Aoife Kathleen Orla Niamh Assumpta Branson. :D

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

One's marriage is no longer important after one's past childbearing age . . . ? :confused: Now there's something you don't hear every day.

3. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

that is exactly what I thought when she was holding the baby..

yes.. he really is struggling with society moving forward... especially for the women.. nice touch by his 'MaMaaa' not supporting him :) Love Maggie Smith.. what a fab actress..

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Daisy and Tom. Now I won't mind if she goes to the farm. My first thought was - no Daisy, I don't want you to leave.
    And maybe she is realizing what a bunch of twits she is working with - she will leave. I think it is so sweet how Thomas's father truly sees her as his daughter and she is accepting it - slowly. Also, compared to most of the characters - Daisy has really grown up over the 3 seasons.
    When Mary held the baby - my thought was that Tom felt secure with them - sign of his trust. And I do appreciate how Mary will honor what Sybil said at the end.
    And finally some interaction between Mary and Matthew that seemed like newlyweds.
    I also enjoyed how Mrs. Patmore and Mrs Hughes are supportive of Ethel.
    And Robert - just get over yourself. Matthew and Tom can make lots of money for Downton.

5. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

You know, I thought at the time that he really did care about the dog. He was always kind to it and petting it. He may have been honestly upset when the dog went missing.

6. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

That was one of the best scenes in the 3 years of the show.

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Bates found out that his cellmate was a drug dealer and collaborating with a guard in his dealing. Those two made sure Bates and Anna's letters didn't get forwarded for several weeks in order to warn Bates to keep his mouth shut. Another guard was opposed to the dealing and slipped Bates the weapon he eventually uses against his cell-mate. When guard #1 overheard Bates talking about Vera's evidence to Murray, he tipped off Vera and bribed her to change her story. Bates' then played his card and threatened his cellmate with his weapon and reporting him to the governor, which would increase his sentence by five years.

At least that is my understanding after watching the jail episodes twice.

But it all was really unnecessary - the story could have been simplified if Vera had just repeated the story she told Anna to Murray. The whole prison drama was dragged out and could have been skipped.

But I guess a few plot weaknesses are forgivable, giving the general excellence of the series.

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

He got her money, she gave him kids (not a boy, which is a letdown, but still.) Read "To Marry An English Lord" and be astounded at how unlikely they'd be happily married really is. Land-rich cash-poor Englishmen marrying rich American heiresses for their money was a huge trend (and I find it kinda hard to believe Cora's mother was always as dismissive of England and the English systems as it never was an accident, it was a campaign and Mama had to be on board. Scoring a Countess's coronet was a plum catch.) A few eventually fell in love, a lot more had discrete affairs and eventually just got divorced. I can't recall who Sir Anthony was talking about when he and Edith mentioned did Duke and Duchess so and so finally get divorced, but I do remember it was a real couple and real divorce, from a marriage that had kind of been a joke for years.

Correct, except Vera's Bates's dead wife, I don't remember Mrs. whatsherface's name. I'm still not clear how the guard managed to not only overhear the conversation but also just happens to know exactly who this woman is and is able to track her down when it was a minor pain for Anna to find her with a full name and address book.

9. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Oh, I am so happy my little Daisy is going to have a FUTURE!! That foxtrotting footman is going to regret his actions with the new help when he says Daisy the efficient business woman!

10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

"I don't guess he'll stay speechless for long" :rofl:

The older men are NOT having a good episode, are they?

11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Robert will go with the flow eventually, but Carson...never! :drama: :drama:

12. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, I think this could be true. If they'd started seeing it days before and acted, possibly. This show made me so thankful for modern medicine again and again.

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thank god Carson will probably not live long enough to go through what Stevens did in Remains of the Day

15. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

one of my fave Dowager moments in the last episode was her commentary on marriage among "their" set: "People like us are never unhappily married. We just see less of each other than we might like." (or close to that). PML. hysterical writing.

Really, really want Daisy to take that farm job. Her FIL is a progressive man. Ditto Edith and the writing job.

Did I miss something, or did Mary *really* hear Sybil say she'd be ok w/ a Catholic child? Or is she being supportive of Tom? I was amazed that Mary ACTUALLY PUSHED BACK to paPA. bout effin time.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

That was Consuelo Vanderbilt, Duchess of Marlborough. Basically, she got roped into the marriage by her rather bullying mother because Mom wanted the glory of an English title and the Duke wanted the Vanderbilt millions. Consuelo managed to give her husband two sons, but they weren't in love and everyone knew it. They separated in 1906 but weren't officially divorced until 1921.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

They did have a conversation about that. Sybil said that she was OK with the child being Catholic. Mary said it was her (Sybil's) child too but Sybil said she didn't mind and that she loved Tom so much. At this Mary said she'd support her. And then when the time came she kept her promise. Baby Sybbie is very cute.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  18. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Yes, it was an epic disaster of a marriage. Consuelo (18 at the time) was in love with another man at the time of the wedding and had to be threatened and bullied by her mother to go through with it. The groom was a first cousin of Winston Churchill (himself the product of an American/British aristocratic match, but his parents married for love against their families' wishes, although the love did not last). After her divorce, Consuelo made a happy 2nd marriage to a French man (not an aristocrat).

19. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

It was nice to hear Daisy mention William and actually say she had been married. Maybe she is starting to value William in hindsight.

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yep--Sybil even said, if I heard it correctly, she believed in God but not really in a church, so if raising their child Catholic made Tom happy, she was happy. And I don't think Robert (or the vicar, if he were honest with himself) is objecting on genuine faith grounds rather on a deeply ingrained anti-Catholicism and classism, plus anti-Irish sentiment. (As far as form and function go High Anglicanism and Catholicism aren't that different, unsurprising given Henry VIII would have objected to being called a Protestant--as HE saw it, the *Pope* was the heretic who had usurped the authority of kings and he was running the true Church in England. He burned as many Lutherans as Catholics. Yes, he sort of talked himself into it when he couldn't get his way sticking within the church, but the articles of faith he created were basically Catholicism with the serial numbers removed.)

I thought it was the Marlboroughs but couldn't remember (and I don't have the DVDs yet...soon...soooooon...okay, maybe I have a small addiction issue with Downton.) She managed to wrangle an annulment on the grounds of coercion, which kept her sons with the Duke from being declared illegitimate, so she could marry her Frenchman in the Catholic church. Jennie Jerome (Churchill) was even MORE scandalous, she remarried a MUCH younger man. Everyone was horrified (especially since that meant he wasn't getting an heir out of that marriage.) One elderly dowager, when asked what she was doing walking around the nurses and children in Hyde park, retorted "Searching in the perambulators for my future husband." (And is it bad I can see the Dowager Countess saying that?)

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Jennie had TWO marriages to younger men after she was widowed -- the first was the same age as Winston and her third husband was a few years younger than that. There was a mini-series about her life decades ago, starring Lee Remick as Jennie.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I could see the possibility of Tom helping run the tenant farms, especially if there were improvements made to help the tenants, but Tom and Daisy? :eek:

Yes, the thought of Robert's reaction might be hilarious -- but my own reaction of Daisy & Tom is :scream:

Tom and Daisy would be the height of ridiculousness. While it's true that Daisy's character has grown a bit over the years, the thought of Tom ever being attracted to her after Sybil is just bizarre. It wasn't just Sybil's beauty that captured Tom's interest -- it was her mind, her personality, her drive to be involved. While viewed by some as being of the same "servant/service class" and thus more or less equal, they are continents apart. Tom was always reading political and historical things (Sir Robert gave him permission to use his library when he first came to work at Downton); I don't recall Daisy ever reading anything much beyond a recipe (although at least she wasn't addicted to the celebrity magazines like Ethel was). Daisy is a good sort and deserves some happiness, but Tom is certainly not at all a good partner for her nor she for him.

23. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I think Tom and Edith would make a good couple, but that would be so weird.

24. Artemis@BC

She always valued him, and always had affection for him. She just felt a tremendous amount of guilt for agreeing to marry him when she didn't love him as much as he loved her, and she felt somewhat manipulated into the situation. Which was entirely understandable, I'd have felt the same way. Doesn't mean she didn't value him, and she certainly has gained a closeness to his father.

If this storyline even begins to hint at William's father feeling anything other than fatherly for Daisy, though... I'm going to have to throw something at the TV.

25. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I didn't pick up on any hints that William's father feels anything other than fatherly. Not a whiff. I'm positive that's not going to change.

26. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

The series was called Jennie: Lady Randolph Churchill. It was made in 1974. Lee Remick was superb. Anne Bancroft played Jennie Churchill in the film, Young Winston, and was equally as good.

27. Artemis@BC

No, I haven't either. And I'm fairly confident it won't. But wouldn't say 100% certainty about anything in this show. They've thrown some :confused: stuff at us before!

BTW, I love the idea of Daisy taking over the farm too ... except that they'd have to come up with some convincing reason for her to stay in the picture re: the rest of the characters. They haven't said, but I got the impression that the farm is not part of the Downton estate but rather a little ways off.

28. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

No, it was made clear that the farm is owned by the estate with Daisy's father-in-law as tenant. He told Daisy he was sure they'd be receptive to her taking over the tenancy if they asked, but that all the equipment and stock was his own.

29. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

30. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki