Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Sybil was one of the most likable people on the show, easily.

Jeez, Robert, you're constantly proving that--well, you've spent all of season three proving why we shouldn't trust you. :D Time to redeem yourself, man!
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Has Jessica Brown Findley ever done any kind of interviews since this episode aired in Britain? Or since it's aired here? I was just curious to know what her thoughts were on the episode and her feelings about saying goodbye to the character and her "family".
  3. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Yes and I liked Him SO much the first season.
  4. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My mom and I speculate that she may have chosen to leave, too.
  5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just did a quick search on the tube of you and found one very brief one with Elizabeth McGovern, talking about it not being much of a surprise because of her already-launched Hollywood career.
    clip

Haven't found any interviews with Findley herself though.

(But I did inadvertently find an end-of-season spoiler. Grrrr! :mad: Stupid me, no one to blame but myself. :wall:)
  6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I heard that the actress who played Sybil wanted out as she had something cooking in Hollywood.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

What I heard was that she quit because she wanted to pursue a Hollywood career.
  8. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Well at least last night's episode tied up the Cora/Robert issue. I liked that the Dowager was given more than just pithy comments in this episode. She saw that her son and DIL were in pain, and did what she had to do to get them to grieve together.

And finally the previews show that at last Bates is out of jail (did you ever notice that his limp is gone when he's walking in the prison yard? The jail must have awesome rehab facilities). Anna's got to be feeling pretty frisky since their wedding night, so I'm glad she's going to get some.

While I think Robert is out of touch and being a prig, I kinda agreed that it's a little ghoulish to name the baby Sybil.

Ivy is a complete yawn. Not much being developed there with the new characters in general. I did like the moment with Daisy and Jimmy when she referenced William used to playing the piano. I wonder if she'll follow through on Mr. Mason's offer to run the farm. On the one hand I think it's a good move for the character, but as a viewer it's hard to imagine the Downton kitchen without the dynamic duo of Mrs. Patmore and Daisy. They should develop their own line of jams and puddings.

Mrs. Hughes continues to be my sentimental favorite. Her handling of Mr. Carson was masterful, and I think she'll nudge him bit by bit into the modern world.

So with Bates back, there's the issue of who will be Earl G's valet. Is Mosely still Matthew's valet? While I'm sure Tom will be resentful of his return, I'm curious how Jimmy, Alfred and all the other newbies will react to Mr. Bates.
  9. Artemis@BC

If I were running Downton, I'd redeploy Bates to work on the estate managment side of things under Matthew's new scheme, once that gets underway. Mind you I'm sure that will take a while, given Robert's reluctance to change anything. Of course Thomas (I assume you meant Thomas -- Tom is Branson) will be resentful whatever happens, the only thing he'd be satisfied with would be if Bates were to become 3rd footman so Thomas could lord it over him.

I too am glad things are back on track with Cora & Robert. I :cheer: for Violet, yet again.
  10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Right, which is what I meant. I think she had something in the works in Hollywood.
  11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I disliked the Dowager's "manipulations" in this episode.
    We may find it "creepy" to name the baby after her dead mother; however, this was common at the time.
  12. Bostonfan

Common for boys to be named after their fathers, but I think less so for women.

I disagree that the Dowager was doing her usual manipulations. Manipulation is when she told Dr. Clarkson to have William be excluded from army service due to a non-existent medical condition. That's very different from what she did in this episode. She was quite correct in making Dr. Clarkson re-examine the evidence and evaluate the likely outcome had a C-section been done. Of course she approached Clarkson in order to mend the rift between her son and DIL, but in this case she was operating on a more solid foundation. Clarkson stated the other doctor was wrong to dismiss the signs that Sybil exhibited, but in no way was he lying or stretching the truth when he told them that her chances of living were infintesimally small if they had gone with his advice.
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I, OTOH, thought she did a very kind thing. It really is true that the C-section was a total crapshoot and the Doctor wasn't lying when he said she could have died anyway, but only after having suffered the procedure. The chances were small--the blood pressure normalizes usually after 2 weeks post delivery.
  14. Artemis@BC

ITA. Her motives may have been more for the sake of restoring marital harmony (which itself is hardly nefarious!), but the result was that both Robert and Cora are able to gain some peace of mind and move toward a healthy grieving process. It wasn't doing anyone any good to be thinking "oh, if only ..."
  15. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

It should be an interesting show next week after seeing the coming attractions. I suppose some changes may be made regarding the help. O'Brien is really trying to get Thomas fired. Thomas is so infatuated with the new footman he does not even question why O'Brien is suddenly being nice to him. I kind of feel sorry for Thomas, Sybil's death and being in love (although not reciprocated, but he does not know that) has humanized him a bit for me and who knows what is in store for him if evil O'Brien get her way. Leave it to the Dowager to fix things between Robert and Cora that was sweet. On the other hand I believe she is going to make trouble regarding baby Sybil, not so sweet.
  16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i havent forgiven thomas for locking isis in that shack
  17. Bostonfan

Tom likes Mary and Matthew. The way Mary was holding the baby made me wonder if he'd leave the baby temporarily in their care while he looks for work. He has his pride, but I can't see that standing in the way of him allowing them to help with the baby while he settles in Liverpool or wherever he's looking. Then there's that whole conversation he had with Matthew. Something about raising sheep? I missed that part. But Tom did say he didn't hate it there. Matthew may try to finagle something to keep Tom at Downton if only to keep the baby close to the family. Tom's a common man, so maybe Matthew could use him to help with the tenament farmers? I can see it now: Daisy goes to run the Mason farm, gets close to Tom, and they hook up. I would pay money to see Daisy eating "upstairs" with the family :) (OK - that's not likely, but still fun to think about)
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

:lol:
  19. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour New Member

Finally, an end to the prison drama!!!!

ITA that Robert has become ass this season - his refusal to move forward and accept the changes that are coming will be his undoing, and Downton's, too, if he doesn't change. Loved that fact that his attempt to disrupt the luncheon at Isobel's failed. Good for Mrs. Patmore in helping Ethel and defying Mr. Carson (another person who is resisting the changes all around him).

Love the friendship between Matthew and Tom. Tom would do well to nurture this friendship.

Hopefully, Lady Edith will take that job offer from the newspapers. You go girl! And I hope that the fact Edith and Mary were out walking together will be a step in the right direction of bringing a closer sister-relationship for these two characters.

Is James gay or not? I'm wondering, if he isn't gay, is he already married??? I don't think that either he nor Ivy will last very long.

Daisy, take your father-in-law's offer......
  20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

But I loved seeing him panic when he realized the dog wasn't there! :D
  21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Indeed, seeing Thomas slipping and sliding and getting all grubby desperately searching for Isis was lovely! :EVILLE: The downside was Sir Robert rewarding him for his "caring so much." :wall: Not sure how O'Brien's revenge scheming will turn out, but it certainly is :watch: worthy.
  22. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I just love this show.. its been such a great distraction for my mom and sister and I .. we all watched the first two seasons over Xmas as we were dealing with my dad and hospital etc., and now we have our own little facebook group and catch up each sunday.. I was able to see the episode we missed as well on Saturday so thanks for the advice.. I'm so glad the Bates/Prison storyline is coming to an end.. that was getting boring.. Thomas and O'Brien looks like it will be coming to a climax soon ;) My favourite scene this week was watching the downton women in the kitchen standing their ground over the prostitution issue..
  23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I think my favorite scene was at Isobel's luncheon when Robert suffered defeat for his outburst of outraged propriety.

Cora: "Is that a Charlotte russe? It looks lovely."
    Violet: "It seems a shame to miss such a good pudding." :rollin:
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Sir Robert is kind of a schmuck in this episode, isn't he.
  25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

No, but it's unfair to Clarkson to have him fall on his sword just so Cora and Robert would get over themselves. (I don't really care if they did or not-they're past having more children so it's not all that important anyway. It wouldn't be the first Anglo-American marriage to go down the tubes.) He wasn't wrong--there was a chance she could have lived had they done something, doing it Sir Whatever's way there was absolutely none. Let the poor man be right when he's earned it.

Though I'm sure it's not a factor here, in some religions you're SUPPOSED to name children for dead relatives, not live ones. I can't really think what else they'd name little Lady Sybil. Unless Branson REALLY wanted to piss Robert off and named her Brigit. Or Siobhan. Or something else that jumped up and down and screamed IRISH CATHOLIC.
  26. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Robert's been a schmuck this whole season. I know he's having problems with all the changes in his life but geez. At some point the guy's gonna have to suck it up and go with the flow. Him and Carson both.

Five weeks of buildup and I still have yet to understand how Bates got into all his drama in prison, how he managed to intimidate former cellmate to tell the neighbor lady to recant her recant and then walk out free as a bird. It was the least dramatic, most convoluted drama ever.
  27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I agree it was unfair to Clarkson. But it was such a moving scene, and so epic of the Dowager to make it happen.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Clarkson didn't fall on his sword. What he said was entirely accurate. It was the last chance Sybil had but it was small. He wasn't wrong when he said that. Not sure if catching preeclampsia would have changed anything as they didn't have meds back then AFAIK. They may have ordered bed rest but it seems she was in bed anyway. So while Sir Philip was arrogant and dismissive, in this specific case, it may not have made much difference.
  29. znachki

znachki Active Member

I'd say that by the time they even started to argue about it, it was too late. Possibly earlier on in the day, or the day before maybe. But by that point. Nope.
  30. zee703

zee703 New Member

Yikes! Daisy eating "upstairs"? Just the thought of Robert's reaction is hilarious. Re: Tom giving the baby to Mary to hold...I'd figured it was just a nice gesture on his part to let his sister-in-law hold the baby. But maybe he was thinking about Matthew and Mary looking out for his child while he gets settled. That's an interesting idea! Last night's episode was a relief after the previous week's heart-wringer.
  31. Artemis@BC

Well, they haven't had the christening yet. How about Brigit Oonagh Siobhan Aoife Kathleen Orla Niamh Assumpta Branson. :D
  32. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

One's marriage is no longer important after one's past childbearing age . . . ? :confused: Now there's something you don't hear every day.
  33. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

that is exactly what I thought when she was holding the baby..

yes.. he really is struggling with society moving forward... especially for the women.. nice touch by his 'MaMaaa' not supporting him :) Love Maggie Smith.. what a fab actress..
  34. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Daisy and Tom. Now I won't mind if she goes to the farm. My first thought was - no Daisy, I don't want you to leave.
    And maybe she is realizing what a bunch of twits she is working with - she will leave. I think it is so sweet how Thomas's father truly sees her as his daughter and she is accepting it - slowly. Also, compared to most of the characters - Daisy has really grown up over the 3 seasons.
    When Mary held the baby - my thought was that Tom felt secure with them - sign of his trust. And I do appreciate how Mary will honor what Sybil said at the end.
    And finally some interaction between Mary and Matthew that seemed like newlyweds.
    I also enjoyed how Mrs. Patmore and Mrs Hughes are supportive of Ethel.
    And Robert - just get over yourself. Matthew and Tom can make lots of money for Downton.
  35. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

You know, I thought at the time that he really did care about the dog. He was always kind to it and petting it. He may have been honestly upset when the dog went missing.
  36. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

That was one of the best scenes in the 3 years of the show.
  37. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Bates found out that his cellmate was a drug dealer and collaborating with a guard in his dealing. Those two made sure Bates and Anna's letters didn't get forwarded for several weeks in order to warn Bates to keep his mouth shut. Another guard was opposed to the dealing and slipped Bates the weapon he eventually uses against his cell-mate. When guard #1 overheard Bates talking about Vera's evidence to Murray, he tipped off Vera and bribed her to change her story. Bates' then played his card and threatened his cellmate with his weapon and reporting him to the governor, which would increase his sentence by five years.

At least that is my understanding after watching the jail episodes twice.

But it all was really unnecessary - the story could have been simplified if Vera had just repeated the story she told Anna to Murray. The whole prison drama was dragged out and could have been skipped.

But I guess a few plot weaknesses are forgivable, giving the general excellence of the series.
  38. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

He got her money, she gave him kids (not a boy, which is a letdown, but still.) Read "To Marry An English Lord" and be astounded at how unlikely they'd be happily married really is. Land-rich cash-poor Englishmen marrying rich American heiresses for their money was a huge trend (and I find it kinda hard to believe Cora's mother was always as dismissive of England and the English systems as it never was an accident, it was a campaign and Mama had to be on board. Scoring a Countess's coronet was a plum catch.) A few eventually fell in love, a lot more had discrete affairs and eventually just got divorced. I can't recall who Sir Anthony was talking about when he and Edith mentioned did Duke and Duchess so and so finally get divorced, but I do remember it was a real couple and real divorce, from a marriage that had kind of been a joke for years.

Correct, except Vera's Bates's dead wife, I don't remember Mrs. whatsherface's name. I'm still not clear how the guard managed to not only overhear the conversation but also just happens to know exactly who this woman is and is able to track her down when it was a minor pain for Anna to find her with a full name and address book.
  39. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Oh, I am so happy my little Daisy is going to have a FUTURE!! That foxtrotting footman is going to regret his actions with the new help when he says Daisy the efficient business woman!
  40. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

"I don't guess he'll stay speechless for long" :rofl:

The older men are NOT having a good episode, are they?