Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I think she might, actually. She has a few films in the works, and she's rumored to be in the running for the Captain America sequel.

(That was in response to IceAlisa -- forgot to use the quote feature!)

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

McGonaggall is Da Bomb. :respec:
    She was the prettiest and the nicest too. But I admit I kinda like how :EVILLE: and complicated Mary is.

Good for her! I didn't realize she was such hot property.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Many British actors leave successful series mid-run, even without having somewhere else to go. There seems to be more of an inclination among British actors (as opposed to American ones) to favour variety over stability or longevity of a role. And I'm sure no one involved in Downton Abbey knew when they started how hugely popular (and potentially long-running) it would be. It was originally conceived as a single season of 7 episodes, after all.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, that is interesting. I've heard that Dame Maggie wanted out too. But with her I can understand--it's so tiring. But of course, I wish she stays forever and outlives them all.

5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Well, if not "bigger" fish, then maybe she would just like to fry some other fish? She's in an upcoming fantasy movie (Winter's Tale) as the love interest of Colin Farrell and is listed in the cast of another film (set in more modern times) now in pre-production. As to whether or not these will turn out to be "bigger fish" remains to be seen.

6. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Seems like once Matthew & Mary got married, they do not seem like newlyweds at all.
    And yes, Bates in prison is getting tiresome! Hopefully it will end soon.

I saw the actress that plays Sybil - in a photo of a film with Russell Crowe - good for her!

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sounds like the actress who plays Sybil is up and coming.

:yawn: Bates. Enough already. It's really hard to care what happens there even though I know I should care. I just don't.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Hear, hear! She's the best part of the whole thing!

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Well, the heart issue wasn't a misdiagnosis - it was him being too conservative and afraid to take a chance on the procedure. I forgot if he actually looked at Mosely's hands or just took assumed Isabel was right about the erysipelas (which of course he shouldn't have - he certainly skipped any history taking).

The other major one was Lavinia, but with her condition changing so fast it's probable nothing could have been done, especially with the medical equipment available then. :(

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I forgot, did it turn out to be contact dermatitis with Mosely?

11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Yes, iirc it was to some sort of plant that he contacted while gardening (can't remember exactly what sort).

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jlai

jlai Title-less

ITA

13. Artemis@BC

Well, they did have a very long flirtation-on-again-off-again-courtship!

I agree, though, the only newlyweddy I can recall was a bedroom scene shortly after they returned to Downton after their honeymoon.

14. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I've been tired of him since he first showed up. I can only take so much angst... :blah:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont dislike bates but his story line taking place in a prison drags the story down. im ok w watching anna play harriet the spy but i dont need to see him in prison.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

And I can see the Dowager being easier to write out (if they really do aim for World War II they're practically going to HAVE to, if you take my meaning.)

And yes, when the Dowager walked across the hall in her mourning clothes I was like "Oh. THERE is where that Golden Globe came from. Two minutes of screen time right there." That was brilliant.

Thomas and Anna was so touching--they hate each other's guts, more or less. But I wasn't surprised at Thomas breaking down--even if they didn't do the greatest job showing it, he was working closely with Sybil and she really went to bat with him for that blind officer who killed himself.

Still, if I were going to kill one of the sisters, she's the obvious one as, since they're clearly just not gonna go too deep into Ireland right now, so...she's kind of boring. Mary and Matthew are facing the reality of being the next Earl and Countess and all that goes with it, Edith that would just be kicking the dog...Sybil, there's nowhere especially exciting to go and she's just too nice. And now we get Mary having promised to go to bat for her (assuming when she said it Sybil would be alive) as far as having the baby baptized and raised Catholic goes. Though honestly the Earl ought to shut up--first, it's TOM'S daughter, he can raise her however he wants, and second, as far as this situation goes he needs to keep his lip zipped. He has forfeited any right to say anything.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Hope someone can help me.. I was too busy last night and missed the episode on PBS - I'm in Canada so can't watch it online.. does anyone please have a link for me to watch it :( I'm so sad I missed it :(

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think the main part of season three is to pile on Lord Grantham, first losing all the money, then mismanaging his estate and trusting the wrong doctor. Time has moved on and passed him by, and none of his pre wwi ideas was working

19. my little pony

but there's something johnny foreigner about catholics!

that line cracked me up

20. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Masterpiece Theatre repeats during the week. Check listings in your area. In my area, it was pledge break this weekend.

21. my little pony

in my market, last wk's episode will air at 8 pm on sun, then the new one is at 9 pm

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Absolutely. British actors leave extremely succesful series at the end of three years or so, most of the time with nothing as substantial in the horizon. They don't want to be typecast because of one beloved character they play. Series 3 of Downton Abbey did not provide many acting challenges for most of the actors, so that must have helped with their decisions too.

Likewise British production companies decide to end successful series at a meaningful point rather than carry on forever, which is admirable. ;)

23. Artemis@BC

My local PBS affiliate (Seattle-KCTS) repeats tonight at 3 am and Sunday at 8. Definitely check your local listings.

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Unless of course you're "Last of the Summer Wine", which wound down after something like TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS. A lot of the cast left because of what TV Tropes likes to call "Actor Existence Failure."

25. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

In this week's People Magazine there is an article about Downton. Fellows said that they will be filming season 4 starting in
    February and it will pick up just six months later.

26. Artemis@BC

Not surprising, but good news nonetheless!

Did the article say when it will actually air?

27. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I, too, am tired of Bates being in prison, and I hope Anna gets him out! They are one of my favorite couples on the show, and I want to see them together again--for real, though!

28. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I like Bates and Anna, too. But the prison scenes are getting terribly boring. I watched online this week (being at Nats made me totally forget to DVR it Sunday night!) and didn't catch all of the conversation between the guard and cell mate and thought...eh, I don't care. They need to get him out already and move on.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  29. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

yes!!! it seems to be dragging ON and ON... maybe nnow the lawyer has the pie under the nails info it will!! i am not loving it as much as the previous season

30. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the latest episode and I was sad. Poor Cora, I thought Elizabeth McGovern's acting was very good too. Sybil was the youngest but in so many ways she was the bravest of all the "upstairs" characters.

Sir Robert, perfect example of the arrogance of doctors. It is something to be said for a doctor like Dr. Clarkson who has had a patient for most of their lives. He knows her medical history and he would be able to recognize differences in a patient's behavior and changes in their body.