Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

That was behind spoiler tags complete with a warning not to even HOVER on the link. If you don't want spoilers, don't click on those. I knew THAT (in fact I know all the big events for the season, I'm not saying them) but if I hadn't wanted to know anything, I would have heeded the post warning and not clicked.

2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Hey, it wasn't me... :lynch:

3. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Me too. And I don't think Dan Stevens is much of an actor either, especially compared to the rest of the fine cast.

4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Chill. It wasn't your post. It was Peaches La Tour responding to your post. WARNING: THE LINKED POST CONTAINS A SPOILER :lol:

And I haven't bitched once about spoilers. In fact, I spoil the hell out of myself. Can't stand the tension!

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back to discussing the show ... :shuffle:

I was interested to see the scenes with Thomas's attraction to the new footman. They haven't really mentioned anything about his sexuality since season 1, other than a blink-and-you'll-miss-it reference to "it's hard being different" at the beginning of season 2. I'm glad it hasn't been in-your-face overarching storyline, but I did expect a little more. Perhaps some reluctance on the part of the writers & producers to make arguable the most dislikable character also a gay man?

Anyway, I'm assuming that O'Brian is going to stir things here. She knows Thomas's inclinations, and now that she's harbouring a serious grudge against him I'm betting she's pushing him toward Jimmy/James to get him fired. :watch:

(BTW, the housemaids' reaction to Jimmy was hilarious.)

Meanwhile ... yay for Edith! :cheer: And yay for Laura Carmichael, she continues to play her part to perfection. How she manages to look so surprised every time someone recognizes her achievements.

As for the Branson storyline ... well we all called that one. It will be very interesting to see the battle of loyalties play out there.

And as for Matthew, I agree that Dan Stevens is hardly the strongest actor of the bunch, but I don't hate the character and I think he's generally written as one of the most consistent. And it's the most logical thing in the world that a. Downton is run more for the sake of "tradition" than efficiency, b. Matthew would want to change that, and c. both Robert and Mary would be dismissive of even the need to talk about it. I absolutely loved his scene with the Dowager on the matter -- and I agreed with her conclusions!

6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Just to bring this thread back up, and because it doesn't contain any spoilers for those who are only now watching season 3, have any of you seen this spoofy "Downton Abbey video game"? :lol: about Mathew's ... problem with "unreliability." :yikes: :rollin:

7. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

That game is pretty fun.

8. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I would totally play that.. :shuffle::slinkaway

9. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the double post but:

WHAT THE HELL, JULIAN FELLOWES?!?!?!

10. hailstorm

hailstorm Well-Known Member

I know, I wasn't spoiled at all, so I was totally shocked.... Time for multiple tissues!

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, I totally want that for real now.

And...way to, Dr. Malpractice. Dr. Clarkson is now entitled to infinite "I told you so" usage for pretty much EVER. (The guy does not get to be right often, heck of a time for it.)

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I knew it was going to happen, but it was still awful to watch. Poor Sybil. :( :(

13. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I thought that the scene where the Dowager walked into the room when she arrived (filmed from behind) was a bit of magnificent acting from Maggie Smith. Her grief showed through even though you couldn't see her face. She walked as though she had aged 10 years overnight. Also the scene with Thomas and Anna crying was very moving.

And even though I knew it was coming, I cried.

14. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

:wideeyes::wuzrobbed
    I am just floored. That came from nowhere.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Maggie Smith is amazing.

16. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I saw this on ITV Player back in the fall. Absolutely heartbreaking, and yes Maggie Smith was brilliant conveying her grief.

Too bad yelling "magnesium sulfate" did nothing. :(

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well, that was a 3-hankie episode. :(

I somehow knew things were going to go bad for Sybil as soon as I saw they'd hired "Ronald Merrick" as her doctor. :mad:

Poor Doctor Clarkson, of all the times for him to be right!

I really hope the Cora-blaming-Robert business doesn't drag out too long. Understandable though, many marriages don't survive the loss of a child.

And ITA about Dame Maggie. As much as I love her witty one-liners, her grief-stricken scene was beyond compare.

18. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I agree, Dame Maggie was brilliant. I thought she was going to collapse on the spot and expire. My reaction was, oh no, not yet! We need you in the series for as long as possible! A lot of misery tonight. I hope somebody gets happier next week.

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Poor Lady Sybil. :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed I wasn't spoiled beforehand, so it hit me like a ton of bricks -- although I was uneasy with the foreshadowing in her conversation with Mary, I really didn't want to believe it would lead where it did. Maggie Smith was absolutely brilliant in her grief. Sir Robert and his pig-headed, titled Harley Street obstetrician. :lynch:

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Of course it had to be the most angelic of the sisters: When they sided with Dr. Arrogant I knew she was in deep trouble but I didn't know if JF would write her out. Brave but sad choice...

21. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I cried and cried. Sybil was my favorite of the sisters, I'm so sad... I thought it was brilliantly written and acted.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

makes you appreciate modern medicine all over again.

23. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I had tears in my eyes when Sybil died & yet I knew it was coming,,,had to for the drama. I just wish they'd get Bates out of prison before someone kills him. And does anyone know what is going to happen to Matthew on Feb 17? It was mentioned in this week's TV Guide.

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

I knew what was going to happen, and I still cried like crazy

I know right?

Maggie was impeccable. I had just been thinking last week that she'd almost ben reduced to nothing but the one liners, and then she gets to do this. But, everyone's performances were a step up. My gawd Thomas - THOMAS - of all people. That just, wow.

25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I had remained unspoiled, so I didn't see that coming. :(

Trying to remember other instances when Dr. Clarkson screwed up . . . Season 1 with the getting the liquid out of the heart (Lady Crawley's suggestion), the rash on the hands, what else?

As for Lord Grantham, between losing his wife's fortune and the decision to use Dr. Arrogant, he's in the dog house. Every decision he makes is a bad one.

My own dad is a surgeon, and he said there was of course no guarantee Sybil would have lived with the cesarean anyhow, since there wasn't much of a way to control blood pressure and brain swelling back then.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Dr. Clarkson misdiagnosed Matthew's back injury but that would have been very easy to do. His recovery was unlikely. And it's not like that had MRI's back then. And yes, a C-section was certainly no guarrantee either.

27. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

I really can't see the Matthew/Mary marriage working out. She seems to be giving him the cold shoulder, more and more. I think that he would have been better off with Edith who is warm and whose intellectual-rebellion (writing to the papers) seems more in line with his own viewpoint of the world.

Hopefully they will resolve this Bates issue soon. Is anybody else getting tired of it?

I was surprised that Isobel was willing to let Mrs. Bird go in order to keep Ethel - obviously Mrs. Bird was surprised by that fact as well.

Apparently Mrs. O'Brien was aware of Thomas' sexual orientation and is hoping to either catch Thomas making a pass at James or hoping someone else will do so. Exit Thomas, thinks Mrs. O'Brien but I am not so sure about that!

Daisy, Daisy, grow up! This time, listen to Mrs. Patmore.......;)

28. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've heard that the actress wanted out.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Why would anyone want out unless they have bigger fish to fry? I wouldn't think that she does.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

still sad, the scene was really well done, as was dame jean mcgonagall's scene toward the end

although i think part of my shallow sadness is that i thought she was the prettiest

matthew's mom has all kinds of good intentions but she is also all kinds of irritating, i wonder how long she will eat offal before she cries uncle