Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

How could we have known we'd be disappointed before actually watching it?

Plus what's the fun if we're not even allowed to snark a bit? It's not sacred. It's just a TV show, not Michelle Kwan! :saint:

2. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I like that he looks (and acts) like a younger version of the jilter--it shows consistency in the character. Most of us have a type, whether we admit it or not.

In general, I really liked this season. Or maybe I just like it when devastating things happen to people richer and prettier than me.

3. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

:rofl: I thought that when a lot of wizards got killed off in the last Harry Potter books. Clearly magic doesn't make you immortal, and Rowling was smart enough not to bring Dumbledore or Sirius back just to make Harry or some readers happy. This muggle felt less disadvantaged. :D

Anyway, Fellowes has to make it up as he goes along and as his actors decide to stay or leave. Considering how popular the series is and the fact that they've already moved it along ten years, I can't wait to see who gets creamed in the blitz. :watch:

4. zee703

zee703 New Member

I thought Fellowes said the DA storyline would not reach WWII? That this program would end for good following Season 4 (can't remember where I read that but I read it a few months ago). I do remember being upset by his comment. I hope it runs up through WWII and post war. So many events, people (spies, heroes, traitors, etc) to draw upon.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

:lol:

Perhaps followed by someone posting a picture of a "Honk if you love Jesus, text while driving if you want to meet him now" bumper sticker.

6. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

7. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I would agree if it happened in the near future. However, over the course of time (talking years, not months), if written and developed a certain way, I could see this happening. For instance, in the shorter term, Mary gets involved with one or more new relationship(s) based on the same values she had in the past, finds this ultimately unfulfilling/unsuccessful, her love for Downton causes her to get more and more absorbed in the changes that Matthew's vision initiated..In the meantime, Tom also has not loved again since Sybil, has become more and more integral to Downton and the family, has gradually become in a way a replacement for Matthew in Robert's esteem, they come together over shared interest and love for the estate, etc, etc.

There is nothing like situation and shared interest to bring people together whom you might not think would belong together.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

The flu pandemic killed about 1% to 3 % worldwide so having only one death in the household is not that surprising.

WWI killed about 10% of the British forces (2/3 in combat, 1/3 from other causes, including flu). I can't remember how many of the household were in the forces (3 ? 4?) , but one death wouldn't be statistically too few.

9. znachki

znachki Active Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

"ghost lf lady sybil: srsly?" :lol:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Sir Phillip Tapsell: "Let me know if you need any assistance." :lol:

Mrs Hughes: "From now on, only ugly maids." :lol:

12. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

PML x infinity re Facebook Abbey. Esp "When Irish pecs are smiling"

And now some thoughts...
    1. What's going to happen to the tenants (read: William's dad) under the new financial model? Would Daisy be safe jumping into that role?
    2. Is O'Brien going to India? She sure was cozying up to Agatha(?) the Grumpy. Imagine what she could get up to in Bombay. Chuckles aplenty. could be a spin-off of her own. Call it the ANTI Jewel in the Crown.
    3. So, when is Anna going to get pregnant?
    4. If Tom's daughter and Mary's son are cousins, can they marry? Yes, it would be icky, but this is DOWNTON.
    5. Lady Grantham (older, not younger) has been relatively lowkey of late. What plot line will *she* get next?
    6. I'm betting Edith will get a flat/club/whatever it is that rich ladies live in in London when they are avoiding their supposedly liberal but really super conservative relatives. Plus we'll get awesome asylum scenes.
    7. Is Alfred (or whatever the redheaded footman's named) going to become a chef if Daisy goes to the farm? Or perhaps become Mathew's mom's cook?
    8. And finally - who and how many will be on Rose-the-Flapper's love (er, shag?) list? I'm lovin' her flapper getups.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Love the FB version of the Xmas special :lol:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. znachki

znachki Active Member

:lol: I would watch the hell out of that!

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

16. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

Isis has posted to the thread "What about my needs?": I want some adventure. I wanted to go to Scotland to hunt but all the adventure I ever get is being locked in a shed overnight by a weird human and being patted on the head by Head Human Dumbass. I liked the Irish human. But now dumbass is back. Woof.

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

18. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I figure with all the come-hither looks Anna and Bates were giving each other she'll either end up pregnant next season (because lady's maids were allowed to be married with kids, right?) or one of them will be hunted by the Angel of Death who seems to have made Downton their residence, too.

19. Wyliefan

Or, considering the usual order of things on this show, both.

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

There is NOTHING WRONG with bagpipes! Though I'm not quite sure about dinner bagpipes. Unless you're having haggis. And it's Robbie Burns day.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

22. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thanks. Nice photo of Mary and Matthew. :(

23. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

"He died when it was still a good time to live.".........loved the way they killed him off and the scene with him and Mary and his "dearest little chap". That said, our household is probably not coming back for more.

I really loath Mary (hated her from the start) so IMO there couldn't be anything on this series more tiresome than Lady Snit being a grieving widow. Frankly, I think the characters that will suffer the most grief from Matthew's death will be Robert and Isobel.

Sorry Isobel didn't accept the doctor - that would have been a nice pairing, IMO; would have loved to seen the Dowagers' response to that romance! :D

Edith, Edith, Edith. NO, NO, NO, and, yes, that actor does look like a younger Anthony Stratton.

This series should be in the early years of 1920's - perhaps, 1923 which does make the Little Heir fodder for the WWII.

Sorry to see that Daisy didn't take her father-in-law up on his offer.

The Rose storyline is already boring to me so another season with her is just another reason not to watch. Wish they would have moved Rosamund's storyline into the forefront, instead.

24. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Yeah, there is a chance that Lady Mary will be a really annoying widow, but more likely IMO is that they don’t dwell too much on Matthew’s death at all and they all just move on with new characters.

25. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

26. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Breaking News on Twitter: the actress playing O'Brien isn't coming back for season four!! They're dropping like flies over there!

27. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i am growing to enjoy obrian and thomas- thomas taking the beating was quite the act of sacrifice- yikes!!

28. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

O'Brien is off to India with Shrimpy and his sourpuss dour wife Susan, they should get along like two peas in a pod.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Is ANYONE staying? :drama:

30. Wyliefan

Just saw on Facebook that Harriet Walter is coming onboard as an "old school chum" of the Dowager's. I LOVE Harriet Walter! :swoon: