Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

To me, of all the characters, Daisy really has 'grown up' before our eyes over the 3 seasons. Nice to see the evolution - it has seemed natural.
    I did enjoy Carson with baby Sybil - nice continuity as he does seem to care for Mary, and the other daughters too, as an uncle type role. I like when shows have this kind of continuity.

What castle was used for the one in Scotland?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

ITA. Since they all knew he was going to leave long before the series was filmed, they could have had him never marry Mary and go off and do something else. The show went downhill when they got those two together - they just suddenly had nothing to write about.

Sadly, like too many shows, I think those behind it got greedy and put their money making venture ahead of good storytelling. The best shows are the ones that leave us wanting more, not the ones we wish had ended series earlier with some integrity.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I did but also thought it was a blessing in disguise which he shortly realized.

I have to say that while I think the timing of this could have been more considerate, Christmas and all, the way they wrote Matthew out was very well done.

A car accident is always plausible. Given he was giddy with joy of being a new father and thus driving recklessly made it all believable and poignant. But they shouldn't have done it on Christmas.

They had this nice scene where the Earl finally acknowledges Matthew and how much he did for the estate (saved it in more ways than one) and how great it is to have 2 healthy heirs and there's Mary glowing and happy with the new baby--all this happiness vs. sudden tragedy is too much for Christmas IMO. Otherwise, well done.

It's kind of like when a soldier starts dreaming of coming home, setting up, marrying and having kids, you know there is an incoming with his name on it.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, since for us it wasn't Christmas, so not so bad here in that respect.

I felt so bad for Dr. Clarkson. The man cannot win. We'll see what happens, though, now that Isobel's lost her only child.

I liked that they had Robert acknowledge how lucky he really was, especially with the estate, though the whole thing with "Shrimpy" having lost his money and not being able to save it and being stuck in an unhappy marriage that DOESN'T get resolved seemed horribly contrived to force that conversation.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Inveraray Castle

I've been there! And picked daphodils in that very field! (I was 10 at the time.)

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Well, then there might be constant talking about how/when they would all have to leave Downton Abbey once Sir Robert died ... if his demise was some time in the future, that would lead to lots of anxiety amd angst for all the characters (with the downstairs staff worrying about losing their jobs and Mary and Edith both in search of a rich husband to offset the drop in their fortunes) -- and much nasty snarking towards Isobel. I don't really see that as a very good storyline, unless they wanted to make season 3 and/or 4, a prelude to "Leaving Downton Abbey." :slinkaway

7. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

There had to be a baby boy to save us all the awfulness if going thru the entail again. Besides, Mary is to me the most interesting character and now she has terrible adversity, much worse than the Turk. Tell the truth, is there any chance you won't tune in next season?

8. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I admit that I'm very curious to see if Mary deals with it by retreating into even greater coldness and snobbery than ever, or if his death and the birth of the baby somehow opens up her emotions to the wider world, or even if she'll truly struggle visibly with sadness. For instance, will her son be that much more precious because he is what she has left of Matthew, or will she be a cold mother, satisfied only that she's produced the heir.

9. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Killing Matthew was the cincher for me that I'm done. I loved Season 1; since then the writing (dialogue) and storytelling have gone pretty badly down hill, to the point of absurdity. Now it feels like the story has been told, played out. Matthew wasn't my favorite character, but he was somehow integral to the whole story. I think he feels like the glue that held together the disparate factions: aristocracy, middle class, and downstairs, and was also the transition between the old ways and the new world. I'm just not interested now.

10. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Yes. Every chance. I barely enjoyed any of season 3, and this sealed it for me. Season one was fantastic, 2 enjoyable enough but a bit meh, 3 completely meh, and 4...just not worth watching for me.

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I know this is a much better show than "Monarch of the Glen" but the possiblity of this merry-go-round of lead actors leaving and others jumping on is disruptive much in the way "Monarch" was for me. With "Downton" I loathed seeing one of the more forward-thinking female characters die and suddenly we get Rose as a replacement. And ita with Jasmar's comments about Matthew's importance to the story. I'm bummed.

12. Artemis@BC

I think a lot of it will have to do with how long a break there is in the Downton timeline at the beginning of season 4. Or vice versa (chicken and egg). If it picks up almost immediately where it left off, I foresee maudlin, cold, and bitter Mary, at least for a while. But if they have a break, and pick up things in, say, 1924 or 25, then I think we'll see a Mary somewhat like she was in season 2: resigned, more mature, but still capable of a jab esp. at Edith's expense.

I'm also 100% certain that there will be a new love interest in Mary's future ... and that will be much more palatable for the viewers if there's a significant amount of time passed.

13. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

No problem here with killing off Matthew. A replacement actor would not be welcomed, I would think. And having him suddenly disappear to parts unknown is a silly artifice. And since Stevens apparently expressed no interest in reprising the role, it's the only thing that made sense.

14. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I didn't mind them killing off Matthew. I really didn't care for Dan Stevens' acting, so I don't think it's that much of a loss to the show.

15. Artemis@BC

^ I wasn't overly fond of Dan Stevens either ... but I did like the character of Matthew very much. I think he provided the perfect balance between old and new, between middle class and upper class, and he was the perfect catalyst for bringing Downton into the 20th century.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:eek: We viewers may have 21st century sensibilities, but I think that the Downton crew is still just trying to deal with the early 20th.

17. Artemis@BC

^ Dang it, I hate it when people quote me before I've had a chance to edit my mistakes!

:eek: ;)

(ETA: Might have been a Freudian slip -- wishful thinking that the series will last that long? ;) )

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  18. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Me too. When the series started, the clash between his self-reliant ethos and the aristocracy was almost the whole point. I'll also miss him because he was sensible and funny.

But dramatically there are certainly interesting new possibilities.

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Me too! It always happens to me. :eek:

I agree that I think the character of Matthew served an interesting purpose in the show to bridge that gap, but I guess I just found Dan Stevens' portrayal lacking. He seemed to be not capable of much aside from looking slightly bemused. In my opinion, he really couldn't handle the more dramatic material, especially compared to the rest of the fine cast.

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

In fairness to Stevens, Matthew had an awful lot to look bemused about. :)

21. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I've read that when they return for season four the timeline will have moved ahead six months.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think mary is more interesting single. i didnt like the actor who played matthew very much. i glad she had a boy. another story line with a search for a random heir would be boring.

23. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Tom can serve as the conscience of upstairs vs. downstairs in Matthew's place. And Look how far Robert has come under Matthew's influence. His love for his wife grows, he finally recognizes the value of Matthew's actions in improving Downton, and he left Isis in Tom's care! Once he stops belittling Edith, the reformation will be complete. Matthew's impact won't die with him. His legacy will live on through his aristocratic cousins.

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Was I the only one rooting for Dr. and Mrs. Crowley to get together?

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think he can do better but perhaps it would do wonders for her mood

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  26. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm fine with him dying off. I think they've done all they could do with his character.

27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I was so spoiled - thank you Daily Mail - that it ruined the last 30 min of the show for me. I kept waiting for it to happen.

Did love the foreshadowing, though. When he and Gregson are stalking or shooting, there are seriously dark clouds for the first time. Then when they are walking away from the fly fishing spot, the camera pulls back to reveal a massive, dark cliff.

OK, we GET IT!

Poor Thomas... I get the other men from downstairs confused. But the one who won the money at tug'o'war, was he pickpocketed right after he paid for Daisy and the other girl to play that game? Or was that taken off of him under the bridge? I dearly love this show, but it's such a tiresome morality play sometimes. I can't believe they'd pass up the chance to show him losing his gambling winnings. But I'll never stop watching, ever. :)

28. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

I thought they might offer him less screen time so he could do his movies, but that must be hard to do. He has one in the can, one filming, and another in pre-production, so he wont starve....

29. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

This just in! Brad Pitt will come in as Mathew....accident was only a dream sequence! Oh never mind....leave the dead in their graves. I will have to say that the finale was the best DA ever except for the last five minutes....I am reuping my PBS pledge.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!