Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 9, 2013.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

in my experience, corporate chains are often quite filthy. one chain was so dirty the rats were bigger than the siamese cats i had at the time. another was so dirty, my mother made me disrobe at the back door and wash my uniform and shoes separately. it depends on the general management of that particular store. some of the small single restaurant places i have worked in have been cleaner than most peoples homes.

2. znachki

znachki Active Member

In this particular case - no, as it was a joint production with PBS. Same with Sherlock. However, in the past BBCA has had to buy their entertainment shows like anyone else (no preferential treatment for the BBC part). They've had shows from ITV before.

I'm not sure that ITV does a lot of costume shows. Anyone?

3. pandask8

pandask8 New Member

I'm pretty sure there was an interview with the cast and PBS at one point that stated that ITV doesn't do a lot of costume drama and ITV tends to go to things like The X Factor instead. Usually it goes to the other British networks.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ How old does the setting for a show have to be before it gets classified as a "costume drama" I wonder. ITV did Heartbeat and The Royal, which were set in the 60s. (The longest 60s ever!)

5. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

ITV definitely tends to go towards less highbrow stuff than the BBC. It's generally home to things like The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Dancing on Ice and other pretty horrific weekend programming. They had a celebrity diving show with Tom Daley on which just finished and it was so awful it became a bit like car-crash tv. They do occasionally have some good dramas but they tend to be short mini-series type things or crime things like Midsommer Murders and Lewis. I've always felt that even the news on ITV is a bit dumbed down when you compare it with the BBC. Downton just seems much more along the lines of the kind of thing that the BBC would make, one of the Downton podcasts I listen to (it's called "Up Yours Downstairs" - it's hilarious if you have time to look it up on iTunes!) constantly refers to it being on the BBC; even my mother had forgotten at the start of the last season that it was an ITV programme and kept trying to find it on BBC.

ITV have tried making Mr Selfridge, a series about the start of the shop Selfridges in London. You can tell it's totally trying to jump on the back of the Downton bandwagon - it's in the same slot on a Sunday night. It just doesn't cut it though - I tried to force myself to watch it for the first few weeks but it's nowhere near in the same league as Downton is, in fact it's quite painful.

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

I think that is up next on Masterpiece (PBS) here in the US. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it might also be a joint production situation. I just can't get past the thought of it having Jeremy Piven in it. He's so sleazy.

7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

8. zee703

zee703 New Member

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

11. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I had never seen Jeremy Piven before I watched the show but to me (and I'm no authority on acting) he was absolutely horrendous. I'm not generally bothered by acting quality, but I just thought he was completely unbelievable, over the top and made it really hard to watch. I think you're right about it being another joint production - they've maybe realised they're onto a good thing with Downton and are trying to replicate it.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed. The best episode so far has been the one where
    he's in a coma
    . I like Agnes and Frances O'Connor (Mrs. Selfridge) very much, so I watch for them. Plus, the plotlines have been interesting.

14. my little pony

jeremy piven has been sort of greasy in everything that happened post rudy

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

16. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

After listening to my mom and sis rave about DA, I finally started getting it on Netflix. Needless to say I'm hooked! :lol: I finished Season 1 the other night and am anxiously awaiting the next disc. Totally jealous of all those who have a new episode to watch tonight!

17. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting tonights episode!

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I love how the servants just wander into the dining room and start talking to the family members. In your dreams, Fellowes. :lol:

ETA: I wish Branson would get over the identity crisis already. It's getting boring.

(Also, how cute is that baby?? :swoon: )

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  19. my little pony

annoying new maid is annoying

o'brien's counterpart is creepy

a little :grope: would do matthew's mother a lot of good

someone's determined to make me like thomas

edited to add that annoying new maid is stalkery

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

21. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

22. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I feel the same. WTH!!!!!!!

23. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

OK, what? I've finished watching season 3 and am not sure which episode is airing tonight.

And yes, Miss Sybbie is uber cute and kinda even looks like Lady Sybil--great casting!

25. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

We will not spoil you West Coasters. I'm going to bed.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I've finished watching weeks ago and know what happens but am not sure which one you all are watching and don't want to spoil YOU! :D

27. znachki

znachki Active Member

We're all watching the Christmas Special, so...

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh yeah. Merry Christmas from Mr. Fellowes, eh?

29. my little pony

oh the bright side, on 60 minutes he said he will never kill off lady violet. she would just visit the seaside and never come back.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

He wouldn't dare.