Dorothy Hamill Article

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

How did I miss that she has remarried?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101014/NEWS01/710159910

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish her great happiness in her new life.

3. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Good for Dorothy for talking about her depression. This kind of openness really does help remove some of the stigmas and encourages other people to seek treatment.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Great article and it's wonderful that Dorothy will talk about her depression and help encourage others to get help.

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Great article. This explained a lot about Dorothy. I wish her the best.

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I saw her sitting with a very nice-looking guy during some of the skating events in Vacouver last February. Wow. So that must have been her husband. Congrats, Dorothy.

7. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

That is extremely admirable. She definitely comes across as very real. And her story shows that winning a gold medal really does little in the long run to help a person's self-esteem. In fact, it could easily make things worse. Depression obviously runs in her family--it has affected her parents, her brother, her, and even her daughter. How awful. :( She didn't mention her sister, so maybe she doesn't have problems with it.

Here's a picture of Dot and her new husband, John MacColl. The other woman is no relation. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2799932800_d71be89b15.jpg?v=0

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who her new husband is? In a recent "People" article seems she is trying to keep him out of public view, but, realistically, how long can she pull that off?

9. bardtoob

^ Midori Ito has said the same thing about her husband. Peggy Fleming does the same with her husband . . . I don't think it is unrealistic. He just does not need to go to every event and pose for photo ops while she continues to do so.

10. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Peggy Fleming's husband is most certainly not out of the public view. They own a winery, www.flemingjenkins.com, and are quite a public couple. He also accompanies her to events sometimes. When he was practicing medicine, he was home working. Since he retired he travels with her more often.

11. bardtoob

^ Having a picture on one's website is not trying to be a celebrity. He is just doing his business. Many small business websites, including vineyards and MD offices, have the proprietor's image on the website.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  12. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Having photos all over the website, engaging in joint marketing efforts, making appearances together and being photographed together on a regular basis is not staying out of the public attention. He's not trying to be a celebrity, but neither is he trying to be unknown.

13. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Iceman, thank you for posting this article.

Is her nickname Dot? I don't remember hearing her called that before.

Does anyone know where she teaches skating? I'm not able to find it easily in google searches. Thanks.

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I believe the article is referring to the "fantasy skating camp" that she runs for adults in (I think) September in MA (Cape Cod? Martha's Vineyard?). To my knowledge, she does not teach anywhere on a regular basis.

15. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Thank you Debbie S. I remember seeing a thread about the camp.

When you mentioned the Massachusetts location, I went to her website out of curiosity. The price was quite steep. :eek:

16. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

She taught the fantasy camp in Nantucket, where everything is expensive!

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Here is a September People Magazine in which she talks about the after effects of her cancer treatment. Until a recent Today show I didn't realize all the damage one can suffer from cancer treatment, including but not limited to something they call brain fog. It almost made me make the decision not to have treatment if it can do that much damage.
    And I personally know one case where the cancer was cured but the treatment left the patient with pulmonary fibrosis, which is a deadly disease that is terminal unless the patient can get a transplant. I hope I am never faced with that decision, but I wonder---do the doctors inform the patients of the damage chemo and radiation, etc can cause to some of the major body organs.
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20429925,00.html

18. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

We call people in skating just about anything we want to. :lol: Does Scott H. really go by "Scotty"? I think not, but people call him that on the Internet all the time. :)

Maybe the really good ones do. But in general, besides collecting their paychecks, do doctors do even a fraction of what they're supposed to? ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010