Donut Spins

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jebrista, May 16, 2013.

1. Jebrista

Jebrista New Member

Who did the first donut spin?
    Who does your favorite donut spin?
    My personal favorite is Gabrielle Daleman's.
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The first time I noticed the position was from the gold and silver medalists at 1993 Worlds. But I hadn't been paying that close attention in early years.

Does this position count?

Can anyone think of another skater who did it earlier?
  3. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

4. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Yukari Nakano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0h3BG9nDv0 at end

General comment: More skaters need to be getting neg goe's on their spins because they are often so slow (especially in the last postion) that they hardly qualify as spinning imo.
  5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I hadn't even seen you selection of skater when I was choosing my own. lol
  6. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I think Oksana made it famous. It must not be worth much in the COP as hardly any skaters do it these days.
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't think any position is worth more or less, it just checks off a box for a level or it doesn't. It surely checks off a box but there must be other ways to check off boxes that are easier for various reasons.
  8. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Yukari Nakano :cheer2:
  9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Baiul really did have the best donut. Arakawa and Nakano too. I am loving the new variation by Sotnikova where her upper body is twisted upwards while in donut position.
  10. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Plushenko. :) He could get into it without dropping his hip.

Alas, that was before all the back problems. Le sigh.
  11. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I started to say cecilia college was the first to do it, but hers was more like what you are describing but the head and foot were not so close, so I wasn't sure.
    She is one of those given credit for the camel spin so not far fetched that she would have carried it further.
  12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I know Colledge did what I call a catch-foot camel. The donut is a variety of catch-foot camel, but I think of it as specifically being what tech panels now consider a "CS" camel variation (belly button facing side, rather than forward) and with the head, hips, and free foot all in approximately the same horizontal plane, rather than the head and foot being lifted higher than the hips as in a typical catch camel.

Also, ideally, to be considered a "donut" the body should be arched enough to make a circular rather than angular shape.
  13. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Baiul made it famous but she had to drop the hip in order to catch the blade and then pull up into the position, to me this indicates a lack of back flexibility that others have demonstrated in the position.
  14. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I remember Oksana Baiul popularizing it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2GDdHQmcK7g#t=107s

I agree my favorite donut spin is done by Yukari Nakano. The position is beautiful and the speed she maintains is wonderful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WyPnOtFlcjI#t=179s
    (Yukari was an amazing spinner and sometimes I felt like she didn't get enough credit for that. I loved the extension of her leg and the point of her toe, her centering was wonderful and she was able to hit multiple positions without losing speed. This combination spin is incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WyPnOtFlcjI#t=73s - Camel to COE down to a beautiful extension on the sit position, up to a layback, change foot to back sit spin, COE up to catch foot Biellmann (gorgeous extension, plus it took her only one rotation to switch to that position!), and down to back reversed leg spin...and look at the speed and centering! AMAZING!!).

I do like Adelina's twist version of the spin too.
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  15. lala

lala Well-Known Member

16. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

17. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. The first one I ever saw was Oksana Baiul's in her gold medal Olympic performance, but the best one I've seen is Yukari Nakano's. All of Yukari's camel spins are fantastic!
  18. icellist

icellist New Member

19. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

For me Oksana did it the best. I remember some even called it the 'Baiul spin'. She was for sure the first I remember performing it although I know other skaters did it before.
  20. invierno

invierno New Member

When I think of donut spin, Yukari Nakano comes to my mind.

I also really liked this spin of Yuna Kim. That spin went so well with the music and her costume that it looked just ethereal.

I think Alyssa Csizny is one of the best spinners ever, but when she attempts donut spin, it always took very long to grab her blade and her hip would stick out kind of unattractively and it always wondered me why. That is the only spin position of hers that I don't like.
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  21. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

:swoon:
  22. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

YUkari Nakano :cheer:
  23. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Oksana claimed to have two vertebrae missing in her back which allowed her to reach the donut position. A lot of skaters today must all have missing vertebrae...

I guess Courtney Hicks' spin could be a donut variation as well...
  24. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Caryn Kadavy had donut positions in one of her combination spins in the 1980s (I think just the long program)
  25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Yukari Nakano.

Thanks for the link to her 2008 Worlds SP. I don't watch the ladies videos from 2008 Worlds too often because I'm still hurting over the results.
  26. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

So agree. I was as affected by those results as many were by Ten's placing second this year. Everyone thought she had won, then she finishes without a medal. :confused:
  27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yukari's was always my favorite too. I love that she is getting so much love here. Her spins were very difficult and her doughnut was outstanding.
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  28. steve skater

steve skater Member

29. sfahrut

sfahrut New Member

Cecilia's is not donut. It's catch foot camel which is much easier. Donut grabs differently and shoulder rotates toward ear. It's very painful if you don't have good rotation of the shoulder joint and flexible back. Donut mostly done on the back outside edge on right foot. Have never seen one on a left leg for counterclock skaters.
  30. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

31. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner does as shown in the 2011 SA LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xGZHsxiz9QU#t=129s
  32. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

But Kostner is a clockwise skater, so spinning on the left leg is a backspin for her.

I think sfahrut is saying s/he has never seen a donut position in a forward spin.

I think I have, but I can't think of specific examples offhand. It's definitely rarer. Sachelpooch318 gives a reasonable example, clockwise on the right leg.
  33. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Plushy's was the first donut I ever saw that wasn't literally "butt" ugly. His remains my favorite.

Baiul's with the dropping the hip and presenting the butt to get into it? Not a personal fav.
  34. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I liked Baiul's the best and it was the first I ever saw. I liked Arakawa's and Nakano's also.
  35. liv

liv Well-Known Member

First i ever saw was Baiul's and I really loved how well she did it. I especially loved it with the hand and arm movements (I think) in her sp from the Ollmpic year.
  36. sadya

sadya Active Member

Same here, first I saw the one Baiul did. In Nucracker on Ice she held the position much longer. It was my favourite version of the spin for years. Until Yukari Nakano came along. I especially love it when she does it in her song version of Dying Swan exhibition at Worlds.