"Don't Touch My Junk!"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I'd expect Mr. Tyner's line to launch a thousand interviews, but he probably can't fly to any of them.

http://www.xomba.com/dont_touch_my_junk_john_tyner_tells_tsa_agent_video

Here's hoping that this line won't become a rallying cry at airports....I suspect it will cause more trouble than it's worth. Myself, I'd go through the X-ray machine for now.

Some youtube vids of the incident have been taken down, but this one is still up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7txGwoITSj4&feature=player_embedded

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Some of the comments on that youtube video are just downright :eek: :rolleyes: :lol: :huh: :(

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Flying is a privilege. Not a right.

I wouldn't want him on the plane if he wasn't scanned or searched like everyone else.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

From the FSU title I thought this was going to be a story about "Hoarders" :lol:

6. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Wow, what an annoying idiot. If I had to deal with people like this on a daily basis, I would flip out really quick.

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Did they explain who was recording this? Did he set his phone to record before he even went through the security?

8. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I saw this jerk and I'm glad they wouldn't let him on the plane. I did agree with one of the male passenger they interviewed who went through the full-body screening and said "Heck, if somebody gets turned on looking at this old body, good for them! Have a nice day!" :)

9. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

They said on the news that Tyner recorded it on his phone. Not sure when he turned it on.

When I first heard the headline, I thought he meant junk like in his suitcase. But no, he meant his own junk. :lol:

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The fact he seemed to be recording it before anything was happening made me wonder if he was trying to make an issue out of this either to make his point or look for his 5 minutes of fame.

11. soxxy

soxxy Guest

^exactly

12. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:blah: Azzhole attempting to promote himself to reality TV famewhore.

Touch my junk all you want (though I'd not recommend lingering), if that's what it takes for me to not die in a fireball in the sky.

As for those who (unlike this guy) are TRULY protesting/yelling :mitchell: about the invasion of privacy blah blah blah ... maybe we can have flights for those who want to not die in a sky terror episode, and those who want to whine about having their boxers, turbans, shoes, or what-not searched.

Let 'em retain 100% of their precious rights - that were written before flying and techno terrorism was imaginable - and with that let them live (or die) with the heightened chance of being a terror victim. Meanwhile, my scanned and/or felt up friends and I will enjoy our safer rides.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

These replies sadden me. Are you all really that ready to submit to OTT government intrusion in exchange for the illusion of "safe" flying?

PeterG, WindSpirit, Jodi and 7 others like this.
  14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Well, I think your reply needs a reality check. If you think there is any hope of improving safety for people without intruding on their privacy in various ways you're sadly mistaken. People want to be safe but they want to be left alone all under the guise of 'freedom' and 'privacy'. It's a nice thought, but not really possible.

I appreciate you might be uncomfortable with the idea of someone touching your private parts. I am, too, to a degree.

The only way to make things perfectly safe is to basically follow everyone around and track their every move...and check them thoroughly at various times. Not practical. Too expensive. Public wouldn't stand for it. Got it. There's not even enough money or time to check all checked baggage. So, we're limited in what we can do.

But there are attempts that compromise a little bit of privacy for the sake of improved safety. Because of what I just said, no, skies would never be 100% safe. But, we can improve safety by being super diligent about checking people and their possessions as best we can prior to the plane taking off. That's the big picture people should be buying in to. Correlating a groin pat to safe skies is a very narrow and impractical perspective on what's happening here. I think more people might get on board with the current solution by dialing into the bigger strategy as the government is doing what it thinks is best with the resources it has for the sake of what will never be 'safe' flying -- but certainly safer.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

On the one hand it is unfortunate that we have to go through this intrusion....I've always liked that saying by Ben Franklin that goes something like "those who would give up essential liberties for security deserve neither". There must be a better way, some technology out there that would permit screening without such invasion of personal space.

However, taking it out on the poor TSA agent is ridiculous. Does Mr. "Don't touch my junk" really think that the TSA agents get some sort of thrill from feeling up strangers? It's their job. And it's a sucky job. They have to put their hands on hundreds of strangers a day. And I'm sure they're very much aware that they're invading peoples personal space and angering or humiliating them. You'd have to be quite the sociopath to enjoy a job that involves that. So, sorry Mr. "Don't touch my junk", but it's not always about you. Or your junk. Get over yourself.

(Of course, it will probably be a bit more difficult for me to feel sorry for the TSA agents if I'm the one getting patted down the next time I fly.)

16. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Besides, if you don/t want to be patted down, then just walk through the scanner. Or don't fly.

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

18. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. :(

19. fluorescein

fluorescein New Member

Even walking thru the scanner doesn't mean you won't get your "junk" touched as well. Read Dave Barry's column linked above.

I'm with milanessa. The TSA charade is intended to create an illusion - and obviously it works.

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  20. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

So when the next terrorist attempt involves a tampon like device all of you people are ready to lay back on a table, spread them and let some stranger off the street stick their fingers up you??

As for TSA agents, they need better training. Flown enough to know that the odd palms down body rub I get from the odd TSA agent is not the same I get in other places where they use the side of their hand.

Also just saw a bit on TV about some child (looked to be about 6) screaming and yelling for the TSA agent to stop touching her. The video showed this agent wrapping both hands around the legs etc. gliding up and down. I fly with my kids and one of them is 12. In EVERY instance that she gets picked for a random search they swab her hands because they are NOT allowed to pat down children 12 and under. If that's not the same policy of the TSA then people should be objecting and asking questions. Keep accepting whatever they throw at you and you´ll be having rectal and vaginal exams at the airports.

WindSpirit, Jodi, flutzilla1 and 5 others like this.
  21. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Yes. My husband went through the scanner and got a pat down afterwards because he had a mint in a foil wrapper in his chest pocket.

22. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I'm betting the terrorists have moved on to the drug mule trick....swallow condoms full of explosives, and head to the toilet on the plane. Of course, the initiator will still be tricky.

I think we need to harness some of nature's superpowers. There's got to be a bug or animal of some sort that can be trained to sniff out explosives even better than a dog....

http://www.cracked.com/article_18837_7-superpowered-animal-senses-you-wont-believe-are-possible.html

23. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

yes please, I'd like that flight.

you know, I generally enjoy your posts, but you've really touched a nerve here. god knows I'm no tea-partyist, and I'm not even particularly modest, but I'm horrified as a law-abiding citizen that my government believes it has the right to undress me while I go about my lawful business.

sure, I want safety, but 100% safety is not possible. life is risky. get over it. I'm not willing to trade that much dignity for the illusion of safety. beacuse these machines don't make us safer, not when the money spent on them- (I've heard diffferent figures- but generally between $150,000 and $200,000, or ten times what a metal detector costs (oh, and by the way, Chertoff, who made to the decision to use them, invested heavily in the company that makes the machines. was he thinking safety, or ka-ching?)- the money spent on them could be better spent on screening cargo- most of which is not scanned before loaded onto a plane).

yes, bad people want to kill me for the crime of having been born American. and guess what? even if we start randomly pulling peple aside for cavity searches, and one of them will almost certainly succeed in blowing up a plane. and yet I'm more frightened of you, because you see nothing wrong with trading in my right to not be sexually assaulted so that you can pretend that you are safe.

oh, and by the way, there's no opt-out for children. so either your kid will be photographed naked (and doused with radiation in the process), or molested by a stranger. we may disagree on whether that's acceptable for an adult, but if you think it's ok to put a kid through this so, again, you can pretend that you're safe, you're sick.

one of the more interesting arguments I ever heard against torture was about what it does to the torturer. the problems were: some became terribly distraught by what their 'job' entailed. and some got to like it.

if you're that frightened by the thought of terrorism, don't fly. also, don't ever leave your house. they could be anywhere.

Matryeshka, Jodi, flutzilla1 and 5 others like this.
  24. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Not too sure how I feel about the new body scanners, but for me it is a non-issue. I have an artificial heart valve and a pace maker, so I have no choice in the matter. It is a pat down for me whether I like it or not if I want to fly.

25. AliasJohnDoe

If you're that frightened by the thought of "having your junk checked/touched", don't fly. Also, don't ever leave your house. Junk touchers could be anywhere.

Again, flying is a priviledge. Not a right. Noone has to fly.

26. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

wrong. travel is a right. and I can't swim to Cambodia.

27. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Flying is a form of transportation, not a privilege.

Or did you mean flying is becoming a privilege to those who don't mind a little groping and a loss of dignity?

28. AliasJohnDoe

Who said anything about "travel being a right"? We were talking about flying. You have the right to travel anywhere you want. There are boats, trains, buses, taxis, cars, horses, mules....and legs.

Noone has to fly anywhere if they don't want to be searched.

Everyone has the priviledge to drive a car. But noone has the right to drive a car drunk. Innocent people get killed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  29. zippy

zippy Active Member

:rolleyes: Some perv on the street is not the same as government-mandated junk touching. And yes, in this day and age flying is absolutely a necessity for many people, whether for work, to be with our family, to receive medical treatment, or whatever. I'm really shocked at the number of people who blithely accept this as something that improves our safety. I'm no terrorist and I can sit here for a minute or two and come up with about 30 different ways to get around those scanners. But now that we've made Grandma bend over and take one for the team, I guess we can all relax!

WindSpirit, bardtoob, Jodi and 3 others like this.
  30. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Have any of you actually seen the images from the scanners? Because no one is being "photographed naked."

I don't enjoy being groped at the airport, either, so I use the scanner.

And I get that some people who use the scanner also get checked by hand. That also happened with the metal detector.

So some of you who don't want to use the scanner, but don't want the body search, what do you propose? Go back to the metal detectors? (I would be fine with this.) But it seems as if some of you think we should have minimal checking to get on flights. I don't agree with that. As for the "a terrorist is going to get on eventually," I agree. But I would like to make it a bit difficult for them.

The next one might not be as incompetent as the Shoe and Underwear bombers.