Dollhouse (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 14, 2009.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

From Fox.com:

Eliza Dushka is best known for playing the character of Faith on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. She also starred in the TV series Tru Calling and has appeared on Ugly Betty, That 70's Show and King Of The Hill.

A one-minute Youtube preview of the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwPpfyPUC8

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm watching.

3. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I'm watching too, but I'm not sure I understand Whedon's fascination with Eliza Dushku.

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Should I bring popcorn or chips? :D

Eliza Dushku is GOD!!! :respec: :cheer2: :40beers: :cheer:

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I really hope I like this show, but it's gotten mixed reviews at best. Even the ones that are generally positive say it takes some time to develop. But I loved Buffy and Angel, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

6. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

i'll tape it to see if i like it. i LOVED buffy and i like eliza dushku. i was bummed when tru calling got the ax. :(

7. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Not to be a nag, but in the thread title mentions his name as 'Josh' and not 'Joss'.

I always remember Eliza Dushku from Bring it On (the only Kirsten Dunst movie I can tolerate).

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I want a kimono, that was cute

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

who were the people in the room at the end where the tape of Eliza Dushku in her previous life was playing?

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I wondered that too. Were they family? They never said exactly what she did to end up in the clutches of the dollhouse people. The start was sort of like La Femme Nikita, one of my favorite shows until the totally bogus ending.

The review I read today said with her changing personality/memories it would be difficult for the audience to develop a rapport with the character. I'm assuming the *treatment* won't completely work each time.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I suspect the character watching the video was the rogue "active" they mentioned, but I think that is one of the larger arcs that will be developing over the season - just like her trying to discover her true self.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I don't think he has a particular fascination with her. Eliza had a development deal with FOX, and she asked Joss for advice. Their business lunch ended up being a four hour brainstorming session that birthed Dollhouse.

A few of Echo's lines sounded like Joss was pretending that they were being said by Summer Glau, who he does have a major fascination with. But she was already taken by the show that's on an hour before!

Anyways, I thought Dollhouse was okay. It didn't grab me instantly like all the other Whedon shows, but I do see the potential. I could definitely tell that this was THE ELIZA DUSHKU SHOW starring and produced by Eliza Dushku. One of the major plusses about Joss's works is that every character is fleshed out, not just the main stars but also the cranky principal or Evil Girl Puppet. Every person that shows up has a story behind them whether it ever gets featured or not. I hope that will happen with Dollhouse as well.

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

fixed :)

I was going to watch this tonight, but my tv has a hard time with reception of FOX and it wasn't happening this evening.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:40beers: :D

15. poths

poths Well-Known Member

I do. She has been my number one dream girl for at LEAST 10 years. INCREDIBLE woman.

16. galaxygirl

It must be a guy thing, cause I don't get it. :lol:

17. Wicked

Wicked New Member

It took me awhile to get into this show. The beginning was boring but towards the end I actually enjoyed it.

Most pilot shows are better after the pilot episode. I will watch a few shows then make a decision on it.

18. galaxygirl

I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. I do think they should have waited a bit to introduce the FBI guy, letting us get used to the characters and the show and then introducing the mystery about Echo's background.

19. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Just found this thread. Can we expect repeats if we missed it?

20. galaxygirl

Fox has it online. Here is the direct link to the video: http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=dollhouse. You apparently need to install some software to view it.

21. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

you can watch the show on hulu.com - no download required :)

I thought it was ok - I love Eliza Dushku and am thrilled to see Tahmoh Penikett in the show, but I'm a little worried that this is going to be a bit Charlie's Angels - just an excuse to see a hot woman put into skimpy clothes and/or danger all the time, since we don't get to see who Echo really is. And the frat-boy-like treatment guy comes across as a real tool. But I'm interested in where the inevitable breakdown in the treatments happens, and the backstory of the scarred doctor who treats the dolls. The ex-cop handler is intriguing too - he must have some reason to be working for an illegal operation like this and he had to have been vetted pretty well to be hired.

ETA: ooo I thought that was Amy Acker as the scarred doc. Me lurves her! :swoon:

23. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

As happy as I am to see Whedon and Mutant Enemy back again, I have to admit that I was a bit underwhelmed by the pilot. I was expecting more wit and energy. Maybe the pilot went through one rewrite too many? We'll see how the show develops. My favorite Ha! moment was Eliza doing the same dance moves as a decade ago at the Bronze. Was it "Faith, Hope & Trick" or "Bad Girls"? Yes, I am/was a complete BTVS geek.

24. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

The pilot was rewritten, reshot, and completely done-over by FOX. The whole motorcycle/nearly illegal short dress thing has FOX all over it don't you think? I hope they take their claws out of Whedon's brain in later episodes. But I did still like the last half of the pilot.

My favorite character so far is the Topher the programmer. He's such an evil prick, but he plays it very well. I also liked the little WTF exchange between him and Fred Burkle Dr. Saunders. You can tell that Dr. Fred absolutely loathes everything that goes on in the Dollhouse, but she obviously has to stay there for some reason. And I'm sure that reason will be fascinating.

The whole Dollhouse and the corporate vibe is very Wolfram and Hart to me. If there are supposed to be parallels, then there will be some very entertaining decapitations in this show's future.

Well, I hope this show has a future!

25. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Here's the Digg link that will take you to the Hulu link. Digg and watch/rewatch if you can. These days the suits at Fox pay attention to what is watched on fox.com, Hulu and bought from itunes and Amazon and not just what ratings nielsen gives. They also pay attention to the buzz generated at Dgg, twitter among the usual routes.

http://digg.com/television/Joss_Whedon_s_Dollhouse_episode_1_watch_online

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Ah, but that's the MYSTERY! Tune in next week to find out! ;) At first I thought it was the cop/detective trying to uncover Dollhouse's existance, but you see him (whoever is watching the video) sitting in his boxer shorts only. Behind him are two people who look like they've been murdered. Are these two friends (or family members) of Echo before she was Echo? In answer to your question...I have no idea! :lol:

I take that to mean that that writer might have a hard time... As soon as I knew Joss and Eliza were involved, I had a rapport already! :D

Tahmoh Penikett plays the cop/detective who wants to "out" the Dollhouse project? If so, when I first saw/heard him, I thought, "oh, so this David Conrad's new job after Ghost Whisperer killed off Jim..." :lol:

I'm not worried at all about this becoming a T & A show. I think Joss and Eliza have nothing against sexing it up here and there, but they are both way beyond fluff. And Charlie's Angels, even though it had the fluff element to it, was also ground-breaking in a way. Three women who could bring down the male bad guys and not need men to help them get the job done. :respec:

I noticed her name listed as a Guest Star (not as a series regular). Which made me wonder…is she getting killed off this episode? Didn’t happen, but I’m guessing that character’s days are numbered…. :(

27. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

It was Bad Girls. "want...take...have"

Whedon has always been a slow developer. The first few episodes of Buffy were...ummm...not so good, and I think that's the kindest thing you can say about it. I don't know if I'd have watched the show at all if that was the first episode I saw. Angel was the same way, even though it had familiar characters. I thought Firefly was pretty good straight off the bat, but we all saw the longevity of THAT show.

I'll reserve judgment for at least three or four episodes. (Which could bite me on the ass, as I was determined to like Point Pleasant because of Marti Noxon, and that might have been the worst show of the 00s...:scream:) But I have faith, and if nothing else, Eliza Dushka is :hat1:

28. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Ahhh Firefly. I still go into a fit of rage when I think about how anybody could cancel that show :(

I have to say I was sorely disappointed in the Dollhouse premiere. I'll stick with it because it's Whedon and I've loved every single one of his shows. But where was the humor??? One of the main reasons his previous shows appealed to me so much was because they were so damn funny, and there was not a single line in the Dollhouse premiere that made me laugh. I don't care too much about the plot (which TBH does not make much sense at all) as long as we get some good character development but if the series doesn't have any of Whedon's trademark humor I don't know that I'd be able to stick with it.

Daisy18 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Sometimes semi-regulars are listed as guest stars for whatever reason. I think Lorelai's parents on Gilmore Girls were billed as guest stars for a while, if not for the whole run.

30. emason

emason Well-Known Member

'For whatever reason' = whatever deal/the best deal that the actor's/actors' agent/agents came up with. Guest Star/Special Guest Star/And Also Co-Starring/etc. - these are all highly negotiated by agents for the best possible listing.