Doing Background Checks

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Sep 22, 2010.

1. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Hi guys--
    I have a question. What is the best/easiest way to go about doing a background check? I have a house that I want to rent, and I want to make sure that I don't end up with an undesirable tenant. I realize that in current economic times, everyone that fills out a rental application doesn't have perfect or even great credit, but I don't want to avoid obvious problems. Does anyone have any advice? Any suggestions would be great. I would even be amenable to doing them myself if I had even half an idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!! :)

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For a credit check, you need to get their written approval. You can pull a credit report yourself by going to any of the credit reporting agencies - Experian, Equifax or Transunion.
    There is a fee, but you can do it.

For a full background check, you'll need a CORI report. Technically, only law enforcement, public housing and human services agencies can pull them, but you probably know someone who can do it for you.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You can ask them for references - past landlords - and call them.

4. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Are you in the US? You can usually google your state's department of corrections and see if they have a felony offender database. Check that along with your sex offender database. Google your local county's clerk of the court and see if they have an online records search. Check for evictions and small claims court info. It might also say criminal information, but I doubt it.

Go to your local law enforcement agency and ask them to run a name check (you need at least name, dob, race and sex). It will probably cost you a few $$, but it is worth it.

There is a lot of information that is public record out there, you just have to know where to look. Can't hurt to check facebook to see if they are posting crazy things as well. Try Zabasearch to get prior addresses and see if that jives with the landlord references they give you.