dogs in the city

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Jun 21, 2012.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching this? I like him better than the dog whisperer

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I saw a bit of it once and liked it.

The Dog Whisperer is a too authoritarian for me (and Brad Pattison too). For sure he's a good trainer, but most of us don't have his skills. When I watch his show I always think of him coming in to my house and telling me all that I'm doing wrong with my dog.

But unlike the people on the show, I still would have the same darn problem with my dog after he intervened.

Those two guys just make me beat myself up about my less than perfectly obedient dog (whom I invested considerable money and effort in trying)

3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The trainer, Justin Silver does a live chat after the show answering viewer's questions about their dogs. He really seems to know what he is talking about.

4. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I've been watching. It's okay, Justin is obviously good at handling dogs and their people, but I wish they would show a little more details of actually training the dogs. Three stories on one show is too much. I actually prefer the show It's Me or the Dog, with Victoria Stillwell. She uses similar methods, but each show is about just one case. It's fun to watch the dogs listen to her and learn. I do have to say this season she's had some real winners for owners, and has done some amateur counseling of marital and other problems. That is not really appropriate in my opinion, but it's still an an enjoyable show to me.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I wanted to check it out, but I keep forgetting! Wednesday nights usually are pretty busy for me.

6. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Yes, I am becoming hooked on this new show already.
    Now, if he would just have a case where the dog won't stop barking and the neighbors are complaining.
    I can't seem to be able to make her stop, and my Vet, Dog Obedience trainer, and no one else I know have helped me. I think I have tried every cure advertised or recomended.:dog:

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

What about the electronic bark collar? Some people say it is cruel, but I would say more aversive. It apparently works very well and quickly - dogs learn very fast that they don't want the shock.

My dog has a habit of barking in the car. When I'm with her I put my hand on her snout and push it down, using the command 'quiet' and it works - that is sort of how mother wolves train their pups to be obedient, though they scruff the pups as well.

But my dog still barks when I'm not in the car. Sometimes she barks at me when I'm coming to the car and I have to do a routine of 'Quiet' and walking away to get her to sit quietly.

8. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

those anti-barking collars that are supposed to go off when the dog barks never seem to work right IMO. However, we discovered that this product: http://www.innotek.net/products/remote-trainers/innotek-spraycommander.aspx works great. It has a small remote that produces a beep, or two levels of harmless spray, all of which are designed to distract the dog from continuing the bad behavior. We had great success with it, but be warned, it's not cheap.

9. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I think Justin is a likable guy and he seems to handle the dogs well, but there really isn't much about HOW he trains the owners and the dogs. I'd like to see him re-visit the owners after a couple weeks and see how well they've done.