Dog Welfare Question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Apr 20, 2013.

1. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people here are very knowledgeable about dog care, so I thought I would ask if anyone knew of any programs/organization that provided financial assistance for vet bills. Someone I know took in two stray dogs who have since developed severe cataracts and are nearly blind now (one dog is just a year old). Surgery could correct the problem, but she doesn't have the funds for it as she's very low income. I don't know if there are some organizations that help with vet bills, but figured people here might know.

Thanks!

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've heard of an organization that helps animal owners with vet bills here in Vancouver, but not had contact with it personally. The problem that an organization like that would face is that they will get a ton of requests for help from animal owners who think they need and merit help. Vet bills can run into the thousands and tax even those of modest means, not to mention the very poor. The organization would need to have strict criteria, especially since most such organizations run on a shoestring budget to begin with. Most likely, they would need to stay low profile.

I'd suggest your friend start by contacting rescues and just asking around. I also heard of a vet service in Seattle that provided free vet care to homeless people with pets once a week, so perhaps there is something like that in your area. Your friend does have in his/her favour the fact that he/she took in strays.

At worst, your friend could perhaps stage a fund-raiser of her/his own. Someone I knew with a cat needing pricy vet care stationed herself in a local park and asked for donations, and she brought in quite a bit of money. And these days people sometimes put out requests for help on Craig's List. If your friend is not able to work due to an illness or disability, or some other extenuating circumstances, he/she might make a sincere appeal to the public.

Kudus to your friend for not just surrendering the animals and wishing him/her the best of luck. A dog can live a perfectly fine life blind - better than a person can because their primary sense is smell - but it would be a shame for two dogs to lose their sight at such a young age.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

This link has information for the US

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Agal, your friend could also contact a vet school if one is within reasonable distance. They will often provide care on a sliding income scale, plus you get the best, most cutting edge veterinary medicine available.

5. Jem X

Jem X Skate America arrives!

I was also going to suggest contacting a vet school. Also if the strays are of a particular breed, like lets say an Airedale, you may be able to contact a breed rescue group and ask the rescue if they had any information about free or lost cost options for Airedale surgeries.

6. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask this question b/c I just donated through this organization to help pay for surgery for a SAR dog. He needed an ACL reconstruction and the owner set up the request and our local news covered it.

Give Forward

Click on How it Works at the top of the page. Might be worth a try, especially if you have a good social network.

7. madm

madm Active Member