DOG OWNERS: Recall of pet treats - please read and pass on

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Jan 10, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

There have been reports of dogs getting violently ill and some reports of deaths within hours of eating the treats listed below.

MILO’S KITCHEN® VOLUNTARILY RECALLS CHICKEN JERKY AND CHICKEN GRILLERS HOME-STYLE DOG TREATS
    San Francisco – January 9, 2013 – Milo’s Kitchen® today announced that it is voluntarily recalling its Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats from retailer shelves nationally. No other Milo’s Kitchen® products are affected.

Waggin Train/Canyon Creek Jerky Treat Recall

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company and its wholly owned subsidiary Waggin’ Train, LLC today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treats sold in the United States until further notice.

2. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

My dog loved, Loved, LOVED those chicken wrapped yams when they came out several years ago. But I had to stop buying her the made-in-China dog treats after reading about all those problems. Both the Milo's Kitchen & the Waggin Train treats are made-in-China, at least the ones I regularly see at the store.

We switched to made in Colorado or USA. Twice the cost, so dogs only get them half as much. But worth it. They also have treats that are like dried sweet potato jerky & they love those.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

my dog loves the duck jerky from Waggin Train and I've heard the chicken treats have problems but I have not heard anything about the duck jerky.

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

This is like the never ending story. :(

5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I no longer buy any dog treats made in China for my dog, there are plenty made in the USA, you just have to look for them.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Sure enough: The Waggin Train was cleared from the shelves but Milo's remains on the shelf (at least today.) Thanks for the heads up or I would have purchased Milo's since Waggin Train is kaput. Oh well...my canine companion likes dolphin safe tuna (I don't think she cares about the dolphins but I do.)

7. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Ugh, I'm so tired of reading these, I'm going to have to start making treats for my dog instead of buying them.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Only the Milo products made with chicken were recalled but if those are still on the shelf, you may want to mention it to the manager, the recall came from the manufacturer and some stores only rely on FDA recall notices. I found the treats on the shelves at Walgreen's and CVS, told the managers about the recall and then and stood in the aisle until they were removed.

9. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I make my own dog treats, it's easy. The problem with USA made treats is that IN THE PAST (meaning I don't know if this still happens) ingredients from China were used. When this happens it does not have to be listed on the label because it was made in the USA.

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

This is my rule too. And if I can't find the orgin it stays in the store.

I am the world's worst baker sp Caseu doesn't want me to make treats. :)

11. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

The problem with so many of them is that the "Made in China" notation is in EXTREMELY small type (sometimes is looks like not more than 2 pts type size) on the package. It is very easy to miss, so your rule is a good one.

We have tried to become less reliant on the chicken or beef jerkey & give more biscuits, & that seems to be working out well. These are the new favorites of my dog & my daughter's dog:

Fruitables: http://fruitablespetfood.com/fruitables_products.html

12. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I give my dogs chunks of apple, carrots or frozen banana instead of store bought treats. They love them.

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

What sort of ingredients do you use?

14. KCC

KCC Active Member

My dog likes sugar snap peas.

15. myhoneyhoney

I'm going to buy the ingredients and see of my little hot dog (he's a miniature dachshund) likes this dog treat recipe.

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Try these products. Made in the U.S.A. with no ingredients from China. Plant meets same and sometimes higher safety standards as those making food for humans:

http://www.naturapet.com/

Under the "about" tab, you can find on the drop-down menu a section that tells about their manufacturing and food safety.

17. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I went back and now the Milo beef products are there but the chicken products have been removed.

19. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

IMS Trading Corp today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treat products sold in the United States until further notice

The Company is taking this action after learning this week that the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets (NYSDAM) found trace amounts of antibiotic residue in samples of Cadet brand Chicken Jerky Treat products. These antibiotics are approved for use in poultry in China and other major countries, including European Union member states, but are not among those approved in the U.S. *Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treat products are safe to feed as directed and have not been linked to ANY illnesses in dogs or humans. However, due to regulatory inconsistencies among countries, the presence of antibiotic residue is technically considered an adulteration in the United States.

Just came from PetGood in New Jersey, all Cadet recalled treats still on shelves, manager told me recall wasn't valid in New Jersey - trying to contact corporate headquarters but no contact info on website. Recall was nationwide but manager refused to listen to me when I told her.

20. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the tips and the links. It is getting where I just don't know what to feed my baby.
    She has been eating Kibbles and Bits, Small Size for years and I have seen no problems. (knock on wood)
    And she has not had any trouble with her treats, which right at this moment I forget the name of but will check if they come from Usa. Has anyone heard of any trouble with this brand?

I have also been giving her small amounts of Little Champions Senior mixed in with her dry because she is 10 and a half years old and needs senior food and soft food is easier for her to chew.

21. myhoneyhoney

We feed our almost 8 year old Orijen. It's grain free, contains a ton of meat and Dogfoodadvisor.com gives it 5 stars. It is pricey but it requires less food per feeding.

22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Dogfoodadvisor.com does not like Kibbles and Bits, says it has no nutritional value. My dog is doing well on Merrick Classic Dry Dog Food.

23. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I haven't done this sooner. I put 1 lb beef or chicken liver in the food processor and liquify it. To that I add 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup corn meal and 1/2 cup wheat germ. pat it onto a greased cookie sheet, cut it into small squares and bake at 350 for 15-20 mins. some people drop teaspoons onto the cookie sheet and flatten them. They store well in the freezer, do not store at room temperature because they will mold. I use these as dog show bait also.

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thanks---mrr50---even before the recall I found some of the prices a bit much. I want to try your recipe.

25. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Orijen is amazing food. I used to feed it to my yellow lab, but then we got our chocolate lab and he has a lot of allergy issues and it was too much for his system. Feeding them different foods was a headache, so now they're on Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. It isn't quite as good as the Orijen, but it's still high quality and not made in China.

Basically if a dog food contains corn, grains, by products or any ingredients that aren't easily pronounceable then you shouldn't be feeding it to your pet.

26. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

:slinkaway I'm getting old. A quick tip I forgot to explain. When I state to 'cut it into small squares', I use a pizza wheel to score the patted out dough before I bake it. I makes things really easy.

My dog stares at the oven until the treats are done.