Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lily, Feb 10, 2014.

?

Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

144 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

All I can say is... This is going to be a more interesting competition than Vancouver. The top 3 are neck and neck. I doubt Adelina will skate cleanly in the LP though.
  2. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

Figure skating should be replaced in the next Winter Olympics with iced 75+ over bridge and snowman making for 6- if that happens. The sport would officially be a bigger crock than rythmic gymnastics.
  3. rosiekins

rosiekins New Member

ITA with this post. The inflated scoring has never been more transparent or more ridiculous.
  4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

So, the new question is : Does Yu Na Kim have a chance for Gold against Adelina Sotnikova ?
    Hahahaaa
  5. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Based on julias scores and the way the scores have been trending Yuma has to be perfect and adelina has to fall 1.5 times or more
  6. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

Shame on the scoring for the Russians! Shame!
  7. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Yeah....
  8. smarts1

Adeline's score is outrageous. That's all I'm saying...
  9. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

No, Yuna has no chance; the way this is going.. PCS are simply being used as placeholders. Sotnikova is NOT 5 points better in PCS than Mao, and Julia getting higher than Mao in PCS is a JOKE. People getting all cray over the supposed ice dancing manipulation, where are they NOW?? This is the outrage here! Yuna needs to be perfect and skate with EMOTION to even have a shot at this.
  10. smarts1

This is such a joke. These are the Olympics... Not the Russian National Championships.
  11. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

People simply wont acknowledge the Russian results at these Games. They will be seen as if they were DQed in every event and the real results go down from there. Skating history will laugh at the Russians results in figure skating at these Games especialy a Crapnitkova Gold.
  12. eurodance2001

ITA.. Adelina skated well with the elements, but to be ahead of Kostner in both marks?? Geez... Julia skated okay for her as well, but she is not in the same league in PCS but has been marked as such. There is little PCS seperation anymore to distingiuish the good from great for AMAZING. These judges are simply placeholding with PCS, such a shame..
  13. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

I hope this is the last year for figure skating in the Olympics despite being a figure skating fan. It does not deserve the Olympics anymore. If Yu Na Kim skates cleanly and loses to Crapnitikova it will be an all time scandal. It is already an all time scandal she is ahead of Kostner at these Olympics in fact. Kostner should be about 5 points higher in PCS for the short and 10 for the long, and Sotnikova's GOE were ridiculous in both programs.
  14. eurodance2001

ITA... I'm at a loss here too and I usually try to be positive and keep an open mind, but this is too much..
  15. smarts1

I'm not a big Yuna fan, but I don't care. If Mao can't get gold, then I want Yuna to.
  16. smarts1

OMG Adelina is Olympic champion. This is a joke.
  17. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

I am definitely not watching any skating for another 8 years. Never seen something do disgraceful in the history of skating.
  18. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Did Yuna Fall?
  19. Manaud

Manaud New Member

While yuna has her shortcomings, I do not understand the scoring.

That said I also do not understand why any top skater would enter a competition without ensuring the highest base value possible (ahem...Patrick chan and yuna)
  20. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I hate life.

This result is enough for someone to never take figure skating seriously again. There is no way in hell that Adelina Sotnikova should be the Olympic champion.
  21. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Nope, she is guilty of non-Russian-ness
  22. usethis2

usethis2 New Member

Just got the news. What a joke event this is.
  23. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel New Member

I was watching it......and I´m extremely pissed right now:mad: these scores were a joke. Katharina Witt, who was doing the german comments couldn´t hide her anger too. So this isn´t only the audience, who didn´t understand the judges.....
  24. bunhead

bunhead New Member

OMG I am still in shock! I'm not even a Yuna uber but I thought she was flawless. BOOOOOOOOOOOO
  25. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I must a minority here because I thought Adelina earned it big time. :slinkaway
  26. Procrastinator

Procrastinator New Member

I am going to watch the programs for myself tonight. I was in class and just got out. I sincerely hope Adelina earned it, otherwise this is a huge fraud. Not just here, but across all disciplines. Even though the rightful person has won in every other discipline, the scores were still unbelievable and incredibly inflated (and this is coming from a D/W fan). This is unreal. I really hope that, when I watch it, it turns out Adelina was worthy of winning and Yuna made mistakes. GS seems to be down so I have no more info atm
  27. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I don't know what the Yunabots are babbling on about - I enjoyed Adelina a whole lot more than Kim. Kim was done in by her complacency - I kept thinking throughout her skate...She still doesn't have the loop?!...What happened to the 2A-3T?...An iffy landing on the second lutz! She hardly competed since the last Olympics, thought she could saunter in to this one without any improvement since 2010, and still win. It turned out she was wrong, very wrong.

And one thing I need to do from now on is to can it as far as predictions go.
  28. neptune

neptune New Member

Looking at the protocols, it seems that Sotnikova did one more triple than Yuna, so her TES were over 5 points higher. That sounds reasonable on paper at least--I haven't seen the performances. On GS, one poster said Sotnikova's program was more difficult than Kim's overall (including combos), and her spins better too.
  29. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

ROTFL so anyone who disagrees with the result is a YuNa bot. I dont even think Yu Na deserved to win, Kostner did (although I could accepted either way 1-2 but really think Kostner was the more worthy one). I guess every expert in skating must be a Yu Na bot since there hasnt been even one yet who has agreed with the result. Watch Sotnikova being ripped to shreads in the media the next few days, I am going to love it. Not just her but the whole Russian skating team for that matter.
  30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well, looked like Yuna had a great chance against Julia. Not so much against Adelina today.
  31. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

and her PCS was legitimately the same, and better than Kostner (who was exquisite beyond words and should have had much higher PCS than Yu Na and light years higher than Crapnitkova). Her GOEs in both programs were fair. Be serious.
  32. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe if I review the actual bullet points of the PCS I'd come to the conclusion Sotnikova was overmarked; but just on general impression- Yuna was boring and had lots of -meh- positions. Sotnikova may not be the best everyday, but today she was just on fire. It was a thrill to watch.
  33. neptune

neptune New Member

Oddly enough, that doesn't seem to be reflected in her scores in the protocol.

That's always a danger for defending champions. No doubt she thought she just needed to be clean. She really needed to have 7 triples in her program.

:lol: I know what you mean.
  34. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yuna was tenative throughout. Adelina didn't hold back tonight.
  35. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Sotnikova delivered when it mattered. Good girl. I'm very proud of Gracie and Carolina as well.
    Yuna is a great skater and will always be remembered as such but in THIS competition there was someone with a lot more fire.
  36. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Really couldn't have put it any better...
  37. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Adelina's jumps were all huge! with a great landing flow coming out of all of her jumps.
  38. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

I agree that Sotnikova performed with a ton of fire but her PCS scores were still a joke.
  39. neptune

neptune New Member

PCS are always a joke in skating. To see who really deserved to win, we should just look at TES. :)
  40. eurodance2001

Said it earlier and I'll say it again, the judges using PCS as placeholders with absolutely no understanding of what the scores should be for each individual component. This also confirms that Plushy would've been PCS'd to another gold medal had he competed. What a shame..