Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lily, Feb 10, 2014.

?

Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

144 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Thanks ehdtkqorl123.

I was just wondering the source of the change, since Plushenko's name changed this year too.
  2. crs

crs New Member

so true
  3. crs

crs New Member

so a flaw yuna deserves to past a clean julia really? That's not going to happen. like I said before,vancouver was kim's olympics these are julia's. Even Yuna knos that.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If Yuna knew this, I doubt that she would be competing here. Unless she feels confident enough about defending her title, I don't think she would have made this comeback. It's hard to say where Julia will finish. The ice is slippery. I would love to see her skate two stellar programs, but it may or may not happen. Regardless, she has had a fantastic season. She should be very proud of herself, whether she wins another Olympic medal or not.
  5. mossop

mossop New Member

No way. To regain figure skating glory in Russia, a flawed Lipnitskaya will beat a perfect Kim.:biggrinbo
  6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

To be fair, up until 2 weeks ago it was still Yuna's Olympics.
  7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think Yuna will be Plushenko'd. Win by a huge margin, come back four years later and skate well with your usual very good elements, but just miss gold, and then come back for the home games four years later. It even benefits the ISU because it could mean Yuna and Julia both stick around for four years. I don't see Julia retiring if she wins. It's different from Lipinski because she didn't have to deal with an age rule and had already gotten to experience Worlds a couple of times.
  8. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I never knew there would be a day when I'd actually be rooting for Kim to win a second Olympic Gold. What a nightmare.
    AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  9. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Yuna has stated that this Olympics is her last. Check out her thread here, which includes a new interview. In it, she mentions several times that this will be her final competition. I think she wants to make it clear to the Korean press and public that she will not skate in Pyeongchang.
  10. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Ugh. The fact this even exists absolutely sickens me.

Dark misery of death in my soul. :drama:
  11. leesaleesa

leesaleesa New Member

LOL! The sudden experts are coming out of the woodwork on the radio and at work yammering on how much better Yulia is than "that girl from Korea". As if Yuna is a girl, and her name isn't easy to say.

"She's better because she sticks her leg up higher!!!!!!!!!".

Ugh. BTW, why didn't Sotnikova skate in the team event? Did that mean she didn't get a gold?
  12. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Im guessing the Russian Fed decided that Julia was a better bet for both portions (which is probably correct - unfortunately). So no, Adelina does not get a medal for the team.
  13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Which I thought was a dumb decision given that now Julia must skate 4 clean programs. I don't think even she can do that. I expect her to splat in the short or long program. The odds of her skating cleanly two more times are against her. Although I hope I'm wrong.
  14. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I don't know - she is young, fearless, and will have crowd energy behind her. I don't buy into the bribe theories, and cam see her on the top step.
  15. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Edge calls notwithstanding, 13 of her 14 programs she's skated this season were clean (the outlier was the Cor LP).
  16. Isabel_O'Reiily

Isabel_O'Reiily New Member

Why would she fall apart? She was not as prepared for the team event because it was new to her. After the team event event she was quoted as saying she felt more nervous for the the team event because she didn't want to let anyone down. After Plushenko performed so unexpectedly well for both portions she was putting more pressure on herself. When she left to go home Monday/Tuesday and train because she's not getting enough ice time in Sochi, she said now that the team event is over she can relax more because the individual is what she's used to. She more calm now for her event than she was when she was skating for her country and their expectations for team gold.

If she can go out there with more pressure on her than ever, on Olympic ice for the first time and perform like that, well then, it's highly unlikely she'll suddenly lose it now. And even if she has an error, unlike at COR, she knows what to do now. If the error is tiny enough like the small flaw she had on the landing of the 2Axel at Europeans, she'll go on to skate a program with a higher BV when she moves the double-triple combo into the the second half.
  17. fenway2

I never said she would fall apart. I just expect a fall from her in one of her next two programs. Every athlete has an off day and Julia is due for one. Mind you, I don't want it to happen, but I have a hunch it will. The odds that she skates perfectly two more times seems awfully slim. Something's gotta give eventually.
  18. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

This!
  19. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

20. Manaud

Manaud New Member

No she did not get a gold.

I have been a bit confused by some of the scores and am anxious to see the protocols
  21. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

The better question is if Yuna can win against *insert random Russian skater here* if they both skate clean. Horrible judging today.
  22. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I thought it was a fair placement, just that Yuna should be a little bit more ahead by 1 or 2 points

The FP is going to be insanely close
  23. fenway2

Called it. :( Asking someone to skate 4 clean programs in a row at the biggest event of their life is a tall order for any skater.:eek:
  24. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:2faced: Thanks for playing, Julia.
    Robeye and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Dr.Siouxs

Although to be honest I'd rather have Lip on the podium than A-Sot.
  26. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

If a Russian skater wins without Kim and Kostner falling atleast twice (I would add Asada but she is already out of it) nobody will take it seriously anyway. It wont even be a real medal, just something people laugh at that will taint the whole Russian team here, even the previous medals which were deserved. Thank god Julia didnt skate clean today, probably would have gotten an 82 or something. If Julia does a clean long she will get a 165 and still pull up to the gold medal though, and if she doesnt they will just give Sotnikova the 165 instead, even if they have to give out +4 and +5s in GOE and 11s in PCS (making a special rule only allowed for Russians) to get there.
  27. crs

crs New Member

You won't take it seriously lol! Julia's long program is more difficult than yuna's and carolina . Nobody here can predict which skater will go clean tomorrow Yuna included. pressure is going to be off the roof.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  28. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Yuna must have nerves of steel. She's the defending OGM, and she still knocked it out of the park today.
  29. Dr.Siouxs

Only in terms of levels. Program components wise, she's a hamburger next to fillet minon.
  30. Kabooke

Kabooke New Member

Very true! Yet, Yuna also has nothing to prove. She's already done it all. I think that can also help to alleviate some of the pressure. I like that she hasn't put any pressure on herself that she has to win here. Just going out there and doing her thing. And doing it well!
  31. usethis2

usethis2 New Member

Horrible judging and incomprehensible scores indeed. Yulia's kept close enough at 5th even with a terrible performance so that she can remain a backup just in case. That, of course, doesn't mean these girls aren't any less disposable or replaceable to Russian federation or the media.
  32. crs

crs New Member

if she had a terrible performance with only a mistake what do you call mao's?
  33. usethis2

usethis2 New Member

And likewise to some forum members here, regrettably. It's amazing how quickly they switch their focus from Yulia to Adelina. I had been making case for Adelina before the Yulia fad caught on and now am observing a hilarious hipocracy now. These folks have absolutely no shame.
  34. crs

crs New Member

especially when they want to held up less than stellar skaters just because they don't want to see certain tremendously talented skater beat their faves.
  35. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

One fall on a jump does not make a performance terrible. It wasn't her best, and it was probably her worst because she has set such a high standard for herself. Julia was rewarded for what she did well, and she lost points for what she did not do well. That's hardly "horrible judging and incomprehensible scores".
  36. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I never cared for Adelina, but I congratulate her on her great SP skate today. Julia is my favorite, and it's not a fad; she has earned the popularity by delivering consistently the entire season. One performance does not ruin a skater. I am not a bandwagon fan.
  37. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Even if Yulia hadn't fallen in the SP, I doubt she would have surpassed Kim's score. No one has a chance against Kim if she's clean, and I find it laughable that anyone thinks the other skaters do.

Watch: Kim will knock it out of the ballpark in the long and is assured of the gold - the second and third places are anyone's guess, but if I'm a betting person, I'd bet on the standings remaining the same. I've always said Kostner has the potential to beat Kim, but she'll have to skate a perfect program to do it, and we all know that's an impossibility for her. Adelina may go clean, but she still won't beat a clean Kim.
  38. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

Based on the ridiculous scoring today a clean Sotnikova beating a clean Kim is far more likely than a clean Kostner beating a clean Kim. In fact I am certain the latter wont happen (even if Kostner skated cleanly to make the hypothetical there, which also will never happen). After the nonsense marks of today the latter could, although it will be a huge scandal if it does and destroy skating. The Worldwide reaction to the short program scoring proves that. Nobody who knows skating thinks Sotnikova is at the level of the other two yet, barely anymore than they thought Julia was, even if Sot is atleast a better skater than her.
  39. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Julia who? :confused:
  40. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I fear that this poll has tempted the skate gods into giving us a Sotnikova OGM, figures. :lol: