Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lily, Feb 10, 2014.

?

Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

144 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. lily

lily Member

Now after Julia Lipnitskaya is getting all glory, triumph and high PCS notes does Yuna Kim have a chance against her for gold?
    What do you think?
  2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Yes I think she might do.
  3. Shaia

Shaia New Member

The more pertinent and interesting question is does Julia have any shot at gold against Yuna.
    AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  4. floskate

floskate Vacant

Yes I think she might do. :D
  5. HVS

HVS Member

Absolutely no!!!!

If it's make the OP feels happy, my pleasure :swoon:

:lol:
  6. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

It seems the judges are doing everything in their power to bring Julia's scores to the level of Yuna's scores. Yuna already won an OGM, why would she need a second one?:p It's Julia's momentum, she has to take the gold at these Olympics as she might not get another chance in 2018.
  7. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

Yes she does, and unless she makes atleast 3 major mistakes she will beat her no problem.
  8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think the judges have put Julia on equal ground which means if she goes clean and Yu-Na makes mistakes, Julia will likely win. If Yu-Na skates cleanly she'll win, but if she cracks the door in the slightest the judges will push Julia through it.
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO the question should be "Does Julia have a chance to win against Yu na Kim?" Yu na is still the reigning Olympic and world champion. Julia has never been to an Olympics (before this one) or world championships.
  10. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

You overrate Julia. Even a clean Sotnikova will beat Julia, so a clean Kim has a couple mistakes over her. A clean Kim will score around 150 in the LP and atleast 5 points higher htan Julia in the short program, so she has a couple mistakes margin over her minimum atleast.
  11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I can't imagine this, a World where Yu Na Kim has no chance at winning against a 15 yo badly overscored ! Actually, I feel really bad. I hope those Olympics end and that I will forget the results, asap ! hahahaaa
  12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, exactly my thought ! I hadn't read your post before mine.
    It seems clear to me that it would be sad if the reigning World and Olympic champ had no chance against Lipnitskaya. The question should be reversed !
  13. crs

crs New Member

Nope,because is not Yuna's Olys to win this time around. She already did that in Vancouver.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

Uh well one is the reigning world champ and Olympic champ. The other is 15 and has never been to worlds before..
  15. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

"Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?"

This is impossible to answer since no one has seen Yuna skate all season.
  16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Some people have. She entered a couple of competitions and I believe those programs are still available on yt.
  17. crs

crs New Member

Is so clear to me that some here think of Yuna as the "only hope" to beat julia lol! I'm not so sure that's going to happen.
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Right now Yu na, Mao, Carolina, Julia and Gracie are all in it. Any of these ladies can win the gold on any given day. Yu na is still the favorite, IMO but not as heavy a favorite as she was in 2010.
  19. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

LOL!!! You are clearly not living in reality if you honestly think Yuna with 3 major mistakes will still beat a clean Yulia Lipnitskaya in Russia. A major mistake is like singling a planned triple or falling 3 times, which is a huge loss of points. I think Yuna is in danger if she only makes one major mistake personally. 3 major mistakes will most likely have her off the podium given how talented and deep this field is. :shuffle:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  20. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

To me a major mistake isnt neccessarily a fall or singled jump, but a step out, major two foot, hand down, doubled jump. Yes I do think she would be safe to beat a clean Julia with only 2 of those, a 3rd and it might be close. I also dont really care what someone who thinks Suzuki is a real threat to Kim, and would beat Kim if both skated cleanly if the judging were fair, or that Kostner would be able to beat the Kim from Vancouver if she skated to her potential, thinks is crazy or delusional. I will trust my own views over your warped ones anyday thanks.
  21. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

:blah: You must have me confused with someone else because I have never claimed that Suzuki is a threat to Kim realistically; however, Akiko is on my dream podium while Yuna is not . . . maybe that's where you are confused. :shuffle:
  22. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Kim has not been competing regularly so people seem to have forgotten what a methodical monster she is out there on the ice. You can bet your booty that she is going to lay it all out there come the individual event; of course there is an off chance that she'll make a mistake, but it won't be due to any lack of confidence on her part. Even then, that sort of 'uncontrollable' mistake is unlikely to repeat itself twice, let alone thrice. Kim is a steely competitor who can't be faulted for any lack of effort at an event like the Olympics, and I say this as someone who is not even a fan.

So of course Julia (and possibly others) can win, just like lightning can strike the same place twice in consecutive days.
  23. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Based on the scoring so far, I think Kim has to be pretty much foot-perfect to stay ahead of a clean Lipnitskaia. But if Lipnitskaia is not clean, then Kim could again regain the upper hand. Can Julia really go 4-for-4 at these Games?
  24. Edgecase

Edgecase New Member

If both Yu Na and Julia skate clean, I think Yu Na will get the upper hand. While Julia's scores may have been a bit inflated, her fs was still ~141 whereas Yu Na had ~148 at last year's worlds. I am comparing the two scores because both correspond to clean performances. Where Yu Na can really distance herself is with a clean short. She does have to bring her A-game though; her performances at Golden Spin and Korean Nationals, while very good, showed some vulnerability.
  25. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

The way the judges have been overscoring Julia, i think Yuna is the only person that can beat her. Im no fan of Yuna, but boy i hope she skates clean because i feel like the judges are ready to give that junior 15yo girl the olympic gold.
  26. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

My concern is that Yuna is coming into the Olympics with no momentum. She's competed in only 2 minor events this season, hasn't faced any real competition, and her actual performances have been fine but unspectacular.

Whereas Yulia has a ton of momentum. Counting the team event, she has now skated in 7 competitions this season. She's faced all her top competitors except Yuna and has beaten nearly all of them. Her performances have been very impressive in every event. And now, on top of this, she is getting a huge hometown boost from the crowd/judges here in Sochi.

Momentum is so important in skating, and it's all on Yulia's side, especially after the team event. So I feel worried for Yuna. At the same time, I fully believe that if anyone can turn the tide, it's Yuna.
  27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm not overrating her; I'm just going by the scoring trend for Julia in the last two competitions. Prior to the team event a clean Adelina could beat Julia, but Julia has emerged as the darling of these Games which means Adelina might not be able to beat her...I'm just going by the scoring trends we're seeing...

Julia's PCS have risen steadily and if she throws down two more clean performances they'll go even higher. She's nearly pulled even with Carolina and Mao...if she has another clean SP she'll will pull even with them which will put her right on Yu-Na's heels. Yu-Na isn't known for skating flawless back-to-back programs...she's done it only twice in her career; Julia does it nearly every time she steps on the ice and in front of this Russian crowd, if she goes clean again in the FS, that 141+ will likely rise which will put pressure on Yu-Na to be pristine.

If Yu-Na is clean she'll win but if she makes a mistake and Julia is clean, I think the judges will give it to Julia. I don't necessarily agree with that but it is the reality of the situation. Yu-Na has quality and maturity; Julia has better spins and harder content in addition to a year worth of momentum and Olympic sensation buzz...she became a bonafide star last week.

The Russians are itching to give Julia that medal and over-scoring is very easy when the skater is clean. Julia is known for skating cleanly. For that reason if Yu-Na is going to win, she needs to be firing on all cylinders.
  28. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

This poll is funny.
  29. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

It's amazing how a common injustice and oppression can unite the previously bickering lumpen masses of skating fans. :lol:

Prior to Julia's vertical-seeming scoring trajectory, fans of Caro or Mao saw Yuna as the devil, and vice-versa all around.

Now, their fans are saying: Hmmm, I may have been a little harsh. Those other old gals are actually not half-bad, considering.

That is the one good thing that I take away from all of this sordid, inflated mess. :p
  30. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of all 3 (Mao, Caro, Yuna) but...

Caro won't be beating Julia with a 5 triple LP nor her planned easy SP jump content
    Mao won't be beating Julia with neither clean 3As nor 3-3s
    Gold landed similar jumps to Julia, and still placed 11 points behind her.
    Julia's flutz is now somehow worth more than other skaters' true lutz, her roller-derby 2A scored on par with the best.

...that really does leave only Yuna to challenge a clean Julia, and Julia has been remarkably consistent. Based on scores Yuna has had in the past, she should still have the edge on Julia. Basically, Yuna's GOE and PCS still edge out Julia's tougher jump content and better spins, but the gap is closing between the them. Julia is unbeleivably consistent, but Yuna is a steely competitor too. If I were putting money on this, I'd still bet Yuna, but Julia is now a legit gold medal contender.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  31. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

and what would be wrong with that?!
  32. lily

lily Member

Why? You think Lipnitskaya can't win over Yuna?
  33. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel New Member

Julia's PCS have risen steadily and if she throws down two more clean performances they'll go even higher. She's nearly pulled even with Carolina and Mao...if she has another clean SP she'll will pull even with them which will put her right on Yu-Na's heels. Yu-Na isn't known for skating flawless back-to-back programs...she's done it only twice in her career; Julia does it nearly every time she steps on the ice and in front of this Russian crowd, if she goes clean again in the FS, that 141+ will likely rise which will put pressure on Yu-Na to be pristine.

If Yu-Na is clean she'll win but if she makes a mistake and Julia is clean, I think the judges will give it to Julia. I don't necessarily agree with that but it is the reality of the situation. Yu-Na has quality and maturity; Julia has better spins and harder content in addition to a year worth of momentum and Olympic sensation buzz...she became a bonafide star last week.

The Russians are itching to give Julia that medal and over-scoring is very easy when the skater is clean. Julia is known for skating cleanly. For that reason if Yu-Na is going to win, she needs to be firing on all cylinders.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts.......and right after the Team Event, it really seams that Julia has good chances to win. I mean face it: the way the Team Event was scored by the judges......have you seen Plushys (and by the way I really like him!!) program scores? Honestly I watched the men´s over and over again but I really don´t get it, where he got these program scores:confused: I mean it really seams, that Julia is not the only one overrated here..... but as a matter of fact....overrated or not Yunas scores this year never even got close to her top scores from the last Olys and Julia now has an absolute confidence Booster in her back with winning team Gold. I really wish Yuna all the best and a lot of strenghth for the competition, but I think she has to go clean to win it.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  34. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I'd have to review Yu-Na's layout for the long program (i believe it's 2 triples + 2 double axels after the halfway mark), but Julia Lipnitskaya backloading the long program with five jump elements after the halfway mark (4 triples + 1 double axel), plus the fact that she'll be attempting 7 triples vs. Kim's 6 could be enough of a technical buffer to compensate for differences in components to win overall (if Lipinitskaya is now at 8.75, Kim would be at mid 9s?).
  35. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

FYI, Yuna's official name is Yuna Kim. No more Yu-Na or Yu Na!
  36. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Just curious, but official where?
  37. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=10370624

EDITORS:

At the athlete's request, The Associated Press has started referring to the Olympic figure skating champion as Yuna Kim. Kim was previously referred to as Kim Yu-na, which is in AP style for South Korean names when the person has not expressed a preference for an English transliteration.

The AP

Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi 5hours ago
    "At the athlete's request, The Associated Press has started referring to the Olympic figure skating champion as Yuna Kim."

Ollie Williams ‏@OllieW 5hours ago
    @nzaccardi Cannot tell you the delight it brings to have closure on that. I haven't known which version to use for years.

Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi 5hours ago
    @OllieW NBC has been Yuna Kim, which took me some getting used to.
  38. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It's not unusual for judges to score home skaters higher than usual. It's happened in the USA, Canada, Japan. Why is anyone surprised if it's the Russian skaters' turn? If home inflation is there, let it be for everyone.

However, I don't believe that Julia can beat a nearly clean Yuna or a nearly clean Mao. She could beat a clean Carolina if Carolina does not have the jumps content to challenge the TES of the other three. Right now I see Yuna and the favorite, and Mao & Julia as the closest challengers. Carolina and Gracie are dark horses who could run away with the gold, given the opportunity.
  39. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Actually, "Kim Yu-Na" isn't a correct transliteration of her Korean name, it's the by-product of an administrative slipup. And I don't believe she has ever used it; IIRC, she has always skated under the names "Yu-Na Kim" or "Yuna Kim" since when she first competed internationally as a novice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yuna
  40. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Unless all the 4 you listed implode, Gracie would not have a chance at gold. Team event did not have Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Adelina in the mix - the 2nd placement in TE probably would not have happened if any of those ladies were in that competition