Does your Rink host an Ice-Dance Weekend?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Aug 24, 2013.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,we started talking about this on my Trainning Reports,and just thougt I'd ask this just to know if my Rink is the only Rink that host an Ice-Dance Weekend? Also if you as a Ice-Dancer have ever been to an Ice-Dance Weekend,I'd love to hear from you about what it was like.

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

No, my rink does not, but yours is certainly not the only rink that does. Next month there's one in New Jersey and Las Vegas, after that in New York and California, Toronto in February, Atlanta and Minneapolis and another one in Canada in the summer...there are lots of them, all over the place. It's not a full weekend, but there's always a social dance session at Adult Nationals at the end of the competition, too.

I've been to several, and they're a lot of fun. We've already told you a lot about what happens at an ice dance weekend in another thread. For the social dance sessions, they make a list of the dances we're going to do and post it in the rink. They usually play each dance twice so that everybody gets a chance to dance. You switch partners for each dance, so you get to dance with more people. If you don't know how to do a certain dance, you just stay by the boards and watch. Sometimes there are also classes as part of the weekend, sometimes there is dancing off the ice, and there's always a lot of food! Usually there are only a few ice dancers at any one rink, so it's fun to go to weekends and be with lots of people who like to ice dance!

3. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

We host a weekend and I have been to a couple before. Clarice gave a good description of what a weekend entails.

4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Is a Weekend a serious event or all fun?

5. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

They are meant for fun. I think some will incorporate a test session but they are meant to go and be social and have fun doing something you love.

6. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes, I agree with Synchkat - ice dance weekends are for fun! Remember, ice dancing began as a social activity. Testing and competition came later. People like to go out dancing for fun, and skaters thought it would be fun to adapt regular ballroom dances for the ice. So we do versions of dances that are done on the floor - waltzes, foxtrots, tangos, etc. To skate at an ice dance weekend, you have to be a good enough skater to be able to do the steps of the dances, but you don't need to have passed any tests or anything. It's all just for fun.

7. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Are they open to the Puublic to walk-in and sit in the Stands? Or does it depend on your Rink? BTW. do you need to BE an Ice-Dancer? Or can you just be 2 people that like to toy around on the Ice and try to Ice-Dance?

8. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I'll bet you would be able to watch if you asked. To skate, yes, you have to be an ice dancer who knows the steps to the dances. Everybody has to be doing the same steps so they don't crash into each other. Even ice dancers don't skate during certain dances if they don't know the steps. We just stand by the boards and watch. For instance, I know all the dances in the Preliminary, Pre-Bronze, and Bronze levels, and I'm working on the Pre-Silver ones, so I could do all of those at a dance weekend. But when it's time to do a Silver, Pre-Gold, or Gold dance I have to just watch because I can't do those dances yet. If I went out there not knowing what I was doing, I would be in the way of the other dancers and it would be dangerous.

9. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Skaters also have to pay to go to an ice dance weekend. And you pay for the entire weekend, not just one session. I can't speak for everyone, but at the social dance sessions I've been to, the rink has been closed to the public. Not all skaters like to have audiences when they're there skating for fun.

Some rinks has public dance sessions (SC of Boston used to on Thursday nights) which are like public skating only just for dancers. Anyone can go to those.

10. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

The weekends I've been to have had an "a la carte" option, where you could pay for just the events you planned to attend. I suppose they don't all do it that way.

FSWer, if you wanted to observe at your rink's ice dance weekend, you should definitely ask first whether it would be allowed. The ones I've been to allowed non-skating family members to watch, but that might not be the case everywhere. They don't advertise these things to the public, and are not really expecting an audience, but your own rink might let you sit in the stands to see what goes on. Zaphyre14 is right - all the skaters have to pay to be allowed on the ice, so you can't just join in even if you did know the steps.

11. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

The weekends I have been to also do a la carte. I can typical,y n,y get away one day to skate at a weekend and often people will skip the Friday and just do Saturday and Sunday.

I would think if the weekend is in a public arena then it is open to anyone to come and watch. You never know some random person watching might be inspired to take up skating. Often you can also just sign up for the off ice component of the weekend. My my people have spouses who want to participate but don't skate.

12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

You also never know if some random is a pervert or a predator. My rink does not allow random spectators to walk in when the ice is booked for a non-public event. They had a problem a few years back with homeless people wandering in to "watch" the skating, then hiding in a bathroom or under the bleachers and breaking into the snack bar and the office afterwards. We also had an elderly man coming into freeskating sessions with a camera to take pictures of the little girls on the ice. Now everyone who comes in for public skating pays at the door, whether they skate or not and the only spectaors allowed into non-public sessions - hockey or figure skating - are one who come with a skater. Period. Anyone there without a direct connection to a skater is asked to leave.

If the dance weekend is a private event, even if it is in a public arena, the the people running the weekend have the right to close the rink to the public. I would guess that spectators would be able to sit in the snack bar or in the lobby and watxch through the windows -if there are any, but not allowed into the rink itself.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013