Does Patrick Chan need a different primary coach?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bardtoob, Mar 16, 2013.

?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    78.8%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

No, he is guaranteed to win regardless what he does on the ice so why bother changing anything. I am sure he feels the same way as well and wont change a thing. Why fix what is already working (which for him is simply showing up at events).

3. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, the next step could be that he doesn't even need to show up. He can just send a DVD with his skating and they will send him the gold medal by post to save money for travelling and accommodation...

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good plan. Maybe hold a silver and down competition for all the other men though? The DVD for Chan sounds like the best option. Foolish to make him skate when he is certain to win each time out even if he sits on the ice for 5 minutes.

5. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I don't get the point of this thread unless it is to bash the skater for judges marks, something he has no control over. Sad. :confused:

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Agreed.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And agreed :)

8. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

and agreed again.

9. bardtoob

You're right, you don't get the point ... Strange ... Don't skating fans like watching good performances, not just good medal ceremonies?

It's about the PERFORMANCE. Patrick Chan is UNDERPERFORMING. He, as an athlete, should be concern that he is not performing well, even if the medals are piling up.

I think it is a training issue because his skills are more developed than others.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  10. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

OK you have a point but others are just using this thread to bash instead of making constructive comments. Personally, I think that Chan needs to work on his focus and staying focused for the whole program. If he does not have a sports psychologist then he should seek one out.

ETA - :lol: at your location bardtoob.

11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He needs a coach period. He doesn't have one.

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It is hard to stay positive if he keeps getting undeserved medals, while those who did deserve them did not get them or got lower value medals. While we don't blame him because he did not give himself the marks, the situation is getting a bit ridiculous.

13. Clytie

Clytie New Member

I think he does. That's why I hate he won with a less than stellar performance. He probably thinks his way is fine yet its obvious it is'nt. He also said in an interview recently that they had no plan B is was just execute plan A. Not sure that is the best thinking.

Patrick has also said in an interview he would never use a sports psychologist. He said Mr.Coulson told him if you needed to go that route you may as well hang up your skates, and Patrick is following his advice.

14. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

If he really said that about the sports psychologist :wall:. I'm not sure that's what he needs but there's no shame in seeking one it either.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

15. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I'm not sure "stellar" performances are possible any more (now that multi-quadding is expected). There's just too much content to get in. (I don't think we'll ever see another Buttle or Lambiel type program under the current rules) Kudos to Chan and his team for paying attention to choreography, transitions and good skating skill. At least they try. There were many men's programs this Worlds that had no choreographic or artistic merit at all.

That said, I don't understand the clamor to ditch his Coach. Wasn't this the same guy who was thinking of quitting-and was unmotivated before the switch?

She motivated him/helped him find motivation to continue on with (what has to be) grueling training to win another World Championship. Coaching is about more than technical skills at this level.

His coaching and choreo team put together two programs that worked the current system to get that World title again.

Wasn't he also working with Eddie Shipstad on tech and jumps? Isn't Eddie a PSA rated coach? If Chan moves to Detroit/Toronto to train , he'll need a new tech coach. But he certainly wasn't coachless in Co Springs.

THere's a Kathy Johnson listed as CER compliant on the PSA site. Not a PSA rating, but it's part of the requirement to coach US skaters. Kathy Johnson is a common name, so not sure it's the same person.

Chan is not 17 . He seems perfectly capable of making his own decisions. Per reports, he consults with Buttle and Browning.

It's a difficult sport. Chan is pushing the limits. It ain't gonna be perfect every time.

(and I just started really enjoying his skating this season, so thank you Kathy)

I personally hope he does move to DSC. It's more media friendly so we'll see more photos and hear more about him.

16. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Yes. That.

17. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Patrick absolutely needs a primary technical coach that he learns from every day. This last year in Colorado he was only having lessons from Eddie Shipstad probably 2 or 3 times a week. I think it will be good for him to move. The reason he doesn't like Colorado Springs anymore is because everyone dislikes him because he acts like an asshole while at the rink. He acts like he owns every session, even when there are plenty of other top skaters training ( max arron, josh farris, agnes zawadzki ). There have been numerous tantrums when skaters get in his way, and there have been occasions when he has skated over coaches as well. After a few weeks in Detroit everyone will realize how much of an asshole he can be.

But congrats on another world championships

18. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko used to skate multiple quad programs in their sleep..and they LANDED their other jumps, too. And talk about skating skills!! For footwork, Chan had NOTHING on Yagudin (See 2002 Olympic short OR long programs for a clinic on footwork and artistry, as well as jumps!!)

19. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Yeah. Consulting a Sports Psychologist really blew Yagudin's chance for Olympic Gold. eh?? Perhaps Alexei should have just hung up his skates..poor guy. After seeking the help of a sports psychologist, he bascially HAD no career left, no hope for a medal, no chance to ever be truly great as a competitive figure skater. Are THESE the lessons Patrick's coach are teaching him?? Wow. Poor guy. He doesn't want to be in the company of 'head cases' like Alexei Yagudin. The association alone would bring such SHAME..:slinkaway

20. fscric

fscric Active Member

The bold part. I am not disputing you since I don't know Patrick personally, I just find it strange that if Patrick was such an asshole, why did Max Aaron borrow his dress pant and went to him for fashion advice (which is quite comical considering Patrick's limited wardrobe)?

21. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Really? He didn't say he doesn't like Colorado Springs as far as I can read from his interviews. He is still deciding. Your comments clearly contradict those who are friends with Patrick. We may never know all the reasons why he may contemplate moving to Detroit but it certainly makes sense since it's closer to Toronto. Is it uncommon for skaters to move their training base? Let others judge for themselves whether he is truly an asshole like you said.

22. bardtoob

I'm certain Mr. Coulson also intended for him to have a compulsory figure era figure skating coach that produced an Olympic Champion, and intended Patrick to be fully equipt to go the route of dressing perfectly for breakfast, dressing perfectly for lunch, dressing perfectly for dinner, not the route of "The Emperor has No Clothes".

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Coulson died at age 80. Not surprising that someone of his generation, born in 1916, might disregard psychology. Patrick should take that advice with an entire container of salt.

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

26. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I am a Yagudin fan but I have to disagree with you that Yagudin was on par with Chan on skating skills and intricacy/variety of footwork. In fact, a lot other skaters have done quite more difficult step sequences since the CoP was introduced than Yagudin did in his entire competitive career.

Just rewatch Yagudin's free skate at the 2000 Worlds where he took the gold medal. He was really lucky to win that one.:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  27. bardtoob

Mr. Coulson might have also been misunderstood.

28. BobbyB

BobbyB New Member

How wrong can you get. Patrick has not skated two good programs since taking from that less than stellar coach who doesn't understand much the technique of figure skating. She's a groupie trying to gain from his success. It break my heart to see such a beautiful skater manipulated and destroyed.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Except for the triple axel, I don't see anything wrong in his technique. Some skaters just find certain jumps more difficult (e.g. Lambiel always struggled with the 3A but landed the quad toes very easily). So my answer is No.

30. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

This is his final season and it is almost over now. His career is basically at the end so he would be getting a new coach for what exactly? Show skating.