Does Jeremy Abbott need a coaching change?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

He landed like 5 triples in the free skate. So it wasn't like he magically got rid of his demons. It really was more the case that the other competitors didn't skate well (Browning, Eldredge, Bowman, Urmanov, Barna)

2. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I hope that whatever happens, Jeremy is happy with his career. The past cant be changed. His future, given his injuries, capabilities and the fact the time is against him is not looking so fantastic. Still, taking a page from Eldridge's last olympic appearance, Jeremy should plan on going for broke choreographically and doing clean programs with all triples. Mao Asada took the axel out of her programs for a while and just kept cooking it in practice. Nabou Sato worked on the trick with her and placed it in the program when it was looking better and ready.

I think that Yuka and Jason should really look at their training program because after the Olympic cycle, they are going to be like Natalia and Gennadie without any major skaters. They have some top level skaters who havent done #$%& this year and with Adam perhaps seeing writing on the wall soon enough to bale. Jeremy needs to be planning with the thought of the end of his career as an Olympic eligible athlete drawing nigh. Train in the off season and compete in the fall with solid quad-less programs but train the quad in practice with limited repetitions and emphasis on doing them correctly. If the quad is not ready by the end of 2013, ditch it and skate your ASS off with clean performances with the elements he does do well. That way, he will still be competitive, he can rival the rest of the men and end his career with his head high.

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I honestly wonder if Yuka and Jason will continue to coach together after the Olympic year considering their divorce. Who do they even have anymore beyond Alissa and Jeremy? I think Imai, Marchei, Bereswill and a few others? I know Jason has been dabbling in pairs coaching in Detroit, so perhaps he could go that route.

As for Jeremy, I think it depends what he wants out of his final competitive season. If he really is thinking Olympic medal (or even Olympic team, honestly) he needs new coaching right now. Jason and Yuka haven't been able to deal w/ his nerves and inconsistency for several seasons now, and you can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  4. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I think the handwriting is on the wall for Abbott. The SB list has just been posted & Miner is 11th, Aaron is 13th & Dornbush is 14th. Jeremy is 18th. Nathan Chen is 21st & Josh Farris, 22nd.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Wait...what?

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

My reaction too.

I know there were some rumors about them splitting, but...

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

No truer words were spoken. Nothing to add, but :respec:

It is what it is. And, whatever Jeremy decides, I will always be a fan. I can't wait to see what he will be doing next on the ice. Jeremy's are the programs that I will be watching and re-watching from this and from past seasons.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

They've been splitsville since at least last summer, but are (obviously) continuing to coach together, at least for now.

9. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

How about this? We talk John Nicks into staying around for one more season, to finish the journey he started with Ashley Wagner. The team of Nicks/ Phillip Mills has done wonders for her technique and her confidence. I think this team just might be amazing for Jeremy. I bet USFS could even pull some strings to get them at the same two GP events (Skate American and TEB), in order to minimize travel for Mr. Nicks. I think Jeremy just needs a change of scenery at this point, and a solid, no nonsense, no excuses, technician as a coach.

10. bek

bek Guest

Well I think Marchei is skating extremely well and Alissa DID improve. Here's my thing why is Jeremy's issues Yuka and Jason's fault? Last time I checked Jeremy had similar issues with his previous coach. Maybe a coaching change would do him some good, but coaches aren't miracle workers. In terms of Adam, he's always looking for the newest "hot coach."

And at this point I'm not exactly sure what any coach can do to fix the issues here. I suspect Jeremy's body is doing away with him as well.

Jeremy has had some brilliant skates in his career and I always remember that. I don't think the issue here is the quad either.

And as for Nicks, was he ever able to cure Sasha of her inconsistency issues? Why do we assume he'll be able to cure Jeremy. Although Sasha was way more trustworthy.

At the end of the day the ability to compete is just as much of a talent as anything else. You never want to write of a skater completely (look at Kostner) but not everyone figures it out...

In terms of Kostner, everyone was all like leave Hoth. She did and performed, poorly still, then went back to him and started winning. Some of this I think is the skater him/herself. They are the ones who do it on the ice.

Sometimes a change does you good, but I don't think the coaching is the issue here, Jeremy had tough no nonsense coach and was still just as inconsistent. Changes can be good but its not really fair to blame the coaches.

11. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

He needs to be feeling healthy enough to train the programs over and over without changes. He also needs quad help.

Didn't he work with someone on jumps in LA after the year of the boot problems? (or maybe I'm confusing him with someone else)

12. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

There was a lot to be said about Sasha's work ethic, or at times lack there of. I don't think Jeremy tends to have that issue. I remember when he left Tom, he said something about "needing to hear it from someone else because he had become deaf to Tom." Also, I also remember hearing him talk about not wanting to remain being merely 1 of about 10 elite skaters in Tom's stable. When he first went to Yuka and Jason, he was their one and only elite skater. He seemed to flourish with that. Since Yuka/ Jason have expanded their stable, Jeremy commented that he gets much less time with Jason, which he also stated is disappointing to him. I think Mr. Nicks could be a good fit in that Ashley is his only other elite skater, he seems to teach very strong, consistent technique, does not accept excuses, but also knows when he needs to reign a skater in to prevent injury or allow a skater time to recover (see him pulling Jenni Meno out of 1998 Nationals, pullling Sasha out of 2001 Nationals, telling Wagner not to do 4CC this year, etc). I really think it could be a good fit. I bet Mills would also come up with some fantastic choreography for him.

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Coaching is not the problem with Jeremy. He's not a great competitor and only he can fix that and he knows it. Plus at 27 how much more can a coach do for him?

14. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

A lot of people said the same thing about Ashley. Look what the change to Mr. Nicks did for her. I don't think Jeremy's jump technique is all that solid. Look at the messing around they did with his quad this year changing the technique for a couple months only to change it back to what they had in the first place. You can't be confident in that which is inconsistent. Even with putting that aside, often times, people need a change in scenery to become refreshed and motivated again. I just don't think what is happening in Detroit is working for Jeremy anymore. Maybe Yuka and Jason are as nervous for him as he is before beginning his program in competition. That nervous energy would not be helpful. In all reality, they aren't that experienced as elite coaches. He was their first. Sometimes just hearing certain words or behaving in a certain way can make the athlete feel more relaxed and confident when taking the ice. This has certainly seemed to be the case with Ashley.

Part of being a coach is being able to teach someone HOW to be a great competitor. Look at Angela Nikodinov. She didn't finally learn how to compete until she got Elena Tcherkevskaya as her coach. Sometimes just clicking with the right person makes all the difference for someone's confidence in high pressure situations.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  15. aftershocks

I completely disagree with that assumption. Plus this thread is not about Adam, Sasha, Alissa, or Carolina.

All the speculators, second-guessers and advice givers ... please cease. Jeremy will do whatever he thinks is best for his life and his career. Meanwhile, why not just appreciate all that he's contributed to the sport.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    becca likes this.
  16. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

This is the trash can. If people can't speculate here, where can they? I don't think there is anything wrong with pondering whether a coach change might do a skater good. While many do greatly appreciate what Jeremy has contributed to the sport (I sure do- he's one of my favorites ever), it's also very frustrating to watch him at times. Adam saw a very good reason to leave Yuka and Jason, and seems to be gradually improving. His 3A seems to be on track, and maybe the quad will be next. There is nothing wrong with speculating whether a coach change may help Jeremy, as well. Clearly we know he will do what is best for him and that this board has no influence whatsoever on his decision.

17. aftershocks

^^ But once again, this thread is not about Adam. And Adam's decision to find a new coach last season was something amicably and mutually agreed upon between him, Yuka and Jason, as far as has been reported, and from all appearances. In any case, Adam's decision to move was a personal one, having nothing to do with a desire to find a "hot" coach. It seems to be a good move for Adam, as he definitely needed to focus on his jump technique. And obviously, Rafael seems to have turned out to be a good match for Adam all around. That doesn't mean that Adam didn't learn a great deal from Yuka and Jason, and from all appearances Adam's stay in Detroit was beneficial for him in many ways. For all we know, what Adam gained from Yuka and Jason may have prepared him to benefit from what Rafael has to offer.

And once again, as many have already opined, Jeremy has a great working relationship with Yuka. I don't doubt that Jeremy might benefit from some fresh advice of a technical and strategic nature, but that doesn't necessarily mean he needs to change coaches. Fans often criticize skaters for switching coaches, but then it's also the first suggestion/ speculation/ demand that gets spewed out by fans.

18. arakwafan2006

So it's not just me? I dont think they are...

19. arakwafan2006

?wait wait wait...back up and hold on... YUKA AND JASON DIVORCED? WTF?

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

So we're not allowed to give other examples? Or we can but only ones you approve? :lol:

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What qualifies you to make these pronouncements -- about anyone?

FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Was wondering if he would come back to Colorado with Tom Z. or Kristy Krall and her magical dartfish. He 's from Colorado so that would make sense.
    For him, it's all about mastering the 4T and 3A. The rest is there. It's not working with his current coaching team.
    He has one year to get himself healthy and Olympic-shape ready. That is not impossible. He has some time off to heal and get his body stronger for the last push of his career.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Abbott's 3A is fine - he landed all 3 with + GOE at Nationals.

24. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Exactly. The 3A is one of his best jumps. Plus his entrance into it is so difficult.

25. arakwafan2006

agreed

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What? Who ever said Sasha did not work hard? What is your opinion based on?

27. aftershocks

You mentioned John Nicks, carriecmu0503, but Mr. Nicks has already indicated that he's retiring after this season. And in recent years, he's reduced his coaching significantly. It was apparently Mr. Nicks' last and one of his best efforts re working with Ashley. They both seem to have thrived on the give and take of their coach-student relationship. Although this thread ain't about Ash, either, eh MacMadame. :p

Jeremy Abbott is a great skater, and I wish for him all that he desires to come true. I can't wait to see him on the ice again!

28. arakwafan2006

You must be unaware that Mr. Nicks has openly talked about retiring after THIS season and only advising Ashley. He did leave the door open not too however it does not sound as if he's leaning to doing so.

Also, just curious about at what point it becomes CLEAR that its not the coaches...

29. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Here is a link to one article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...rasova-figure-skater-sasha-cohen-robin-wagner

I also remember reading that often times, Sasha would spend her time practicing what she liked to do and was good at (spirals, spins- see her many exhibitions where she doesn't do nay jumps at all) rather than on working with her jumps. Many conversations of the sorts were had on the boards from 2002-2006. If I had unlimited time, I would look up more articles for you or find the old conversations, but I don't. I just think it's telling that both Tarasova and Wagner both said she didn't work hard enough. She definitely seemed to have the majority of her success when Nicks was running the show.

30. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

For someone where the primary problem is mental rather than technical, I'm not sure that's a great idea. CS is the training base of Patrick Chan, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Armin M., soon to be Jason Brown, and many others. If he left Tom Z in the first place because he didn't want to feel just one of a group, CS should be the last place he goes back to.

At this point you have to look at the common denominator here and that's Jeremy. Changing coaches will only do so much.