Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

1. Yes

78 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No

169 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. I may get used to it in time

46 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Depends who the skater is

25 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Yes, I think this is the challenge with this situation. In the past, whenever we heard someone was an Olympic medalist, we knew what it meant. Now we have to check and remember whether it was a 'normal' medal from the regular competition that they earned themselves, or from the Team Event at this Olympics. It does make it a bit confusing.

I'd be interested to know what other Olympians think - do they feel it tarnishes the 'regular' Olympic medal to have a new figure skating Team Event?

2. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

The way I see it, everyone who follows skating knows who has the team medals, who has the individual medals, and what they each mean. The rest likely don't care and won't remember anyway.

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Exactly. It just doesn't matter to the rest of the world. And hey, the team members all earned a medal.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. NMURA

NMURA Member

Even ordinary viewers (not everyone, though) remember Lipininski in Nagano, or Plushenko in Torino, but only "skating fans" know the Russian "team" gold medalists. Everyone knows Usain Bolt but no one cares who won 4x400 relay gold medals. Individuals medals are much more valuable than "team" ones. That is a common knowledge.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That is a huge problem. I hope in the future it's recognized by the ISU and changed. No skater should have already won a medal before others have skated. Nor should skaters end up in 6th and not have it count because the rest of the team is that far ahead. ALL of the members of the 'team' should be rewarded and penalized based on their skate.

There is a difference between how the medals were earned. Johnson only being the best in one apparatus verses Liukin averaging the best on all four. Is Nastia Liukin a better gymnast, yes at that competition she was.

As it should be in all sports.

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think more Americans know Kerri Strug than Carly Patterson (whose name I had to look up, since I just remember her as "that girl who won before Nastia")

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

So, if Kevin Durant wins an OGM in basketball in 2016, he is 'only' a 'team gold medallist' and inferior to those individual stars like balance beam individual event, or a tennis player, for example?

8. Skittl1321

I'm not sure there is a way to fix this. If three of your disciplines do really well, there really isn't a way to make sure that the other teams are still in a position to win by the fourth one.

9. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Obviously, if 3 disciplines dominate the field, that's going to place a team in a good position to win. But there are ways that could have made the team competition more exciting. Two possibilities:

1) The point spead between the short (1-10) and the long (6-10) made the long program of little consequence. If they had made the LP, (2-4-6-8-10) instead of (6-7-8-9-10), that would have made things a bit closer and made the free skates of more consequence.

2) New life after the SP and the elimination.

10. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I don't think that's what julieann meant (though I could be wrong). Basketball isn't a good example because there is no individual event equivalent. It is a team sport. Period.

All Olympic medals are amazing, IMHO. But the distinction in Gymnastics, Swimming, and other sports (now figure skating) with both individual and team events is important to some degree. I don't think you need to announce an athlete using the "team" distinction, but I do think it's noteworthy. They are not the same event, after all. That's not putting a value on the difference, it's just pointing out that medals were earned in different events.

O-

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I haven't run the numbers but I don't think those would have mattered in the case of I&K. S&K, Plushenko, and Lipnitskaya all won their LPs by the time I&K had skated. Really, the Russian team was just extremely dominant and that's the reason that they led from night 1 and never lost their lead. They took first place in 5 out of 8 segments with a second place and two third places. You can come up with any scenario, but it will always turn out that whichever Russian skated last was virtually assured of the gold medal. If I&K had gone in the morning and pairs was the last event then the pair team would have been the ones who had already won gold.

If there had been a team event in Vancouver you would have seen a closer competition. Canada likely would have won, but they might not have been on top of the leaderboard the whole time. There would have been more suspense. I like your idea #1 generally though.

12. Vash01

It's a different sport but should not exclude it from a team event. In tennis, which is an individual game (singles/doubles/mixed doubles) but they too have a Davis cup. Golf is an individual game, but they have president's cup. Gymnastics has been discussed already. I see no issue in creating a team event in FS. It definitely needs some tweaks but to say FS is individual event, so there should not be a team event is being unfair to some skaters who actually have a chance to win more than one Olympic medal in a single year.

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me for a single second. An Olympic Medalist is an Olympic Medalist. Full Stop. Sure, this may be a completely new event that some are getting used to, but it doesn't lessen the accomplishment in my eye.

These skaters are Olympic Medalists and that's all there is to it.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Delete

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  15. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I guess it depends on the skater. To me, people like Jeremy Abbott, Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Gracie Gold, Marissa Castelli, Simon Shnapir, and B/S, etc. are not on the same level (skill wise) as say our gymnastics Olympic Gold team. And I do realize they are entirely different sports.

I tried to like the team event. But now,the more I look at it, I think the team event was a cheap, worthless way to give out medals to the federations with the most money/ size.

No one even knows who the hell was on our team outside of skating.
    However, in gymnastics everyone in the world knows who makes up the Fab 5

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I don't; I have absolutely no clue.

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Why in the world would I know who the Fab 5 are? I suppose they graced my tv screen doing their "artistic" gymnastics routine on that annoying Skating & Gymnastics show. I certainly know I'd rather watch Jeremy Abbott, Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Gracie Gold, Marissa Castelli, Simon Shnapir, and B/S, on that annoying Skating & Gymnastics show than that gymnast that endorses Subway.

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

The only one of the Fab 5 I know is Kerry, and her heroic vault.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Skittl1321

I think that group was magnificent 7.

I don't know if fab 5 is Shawn Johnson's group, Carly patterson's, or Gabby Douglass's.

20. gordanlevitt

gordanlevitt New Member

Gabby Douglas's of course. Those other 2 groups didnt even win gold so nothing magnificient about them.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's mathematically possible for a diver to have a gold medal wrapped up before the final dive. It's mathematically possible for a gymnastics team to have a medal wrapped up before the final routine. It all depends on the relative strength of the field. The skating TE is not unique in this.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I don't think the team event has a future

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  23. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Um, I didn't say anything about whether or not there should or shouldn't be a team event in figure skating -- just that, if there is one, a distinction should be made between the team event and the individual event -- just like in every other sport that has both team and individual events.

If anyone cares, and I don't see why they would, I think having a team figure skating event is great. Why not?

O-

24. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

While I think the team event will and should be tweaked, I think its here to stay in the Olympics. I doubt the ISU and the major federations will be inclined to just hand back a medal event when FS is really the one major Olympic sport that doesn't have multiple medal opportunities for its athletes. The skaters haven't said a bad word about it- it was all positivity about Olympic cameraderie and supporting one another. Its also easy for the general non-skating fan public to get behind- you may have no idea who these skaters are but you can jump on a country bandwagon. The athletes all sitting together makes for good TV and drummed up interest in Julia, D/W etc. before the individual events- I expect NBC would advocate for it.

25. Vash01

They do call it a 'team competition'. For me that's enough differentiation. In gymnastics they don't specify whether a medal was won in a team event or not, when a lesser known gymnast is a part of the team. There is no need to qualify that medal with (but) it's (only) a team medal.

It is an Olympic medal. Those interested can go into details about how it was won, etc. and decide how much value they put on it. For an athlete who is competing, it is a matter of pride to be a part of a successful team- judging from their reactions.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

What other sports would those be?