Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Apr 14, 2014.

Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

1. Yes

78 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No

169 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. I may get used to it in time

46 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Depends who the skater is

25 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

They got home from Sochi 6 weeks ago. Of course they're going to bring their medals to appearances that they're making as Olympians. I don't see the issue- most US Olympians do this. If they're still whipping them out all the time next year, then enough but right now I can't fault them at all.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Seriously- their medals are what gets them invited to things. Without them, they don't get in!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Not at all. There have been comments re. this topic in various threads on FSU lately, and I'm merely interested in getting a "current snapshot" of how (diehard) skating fans feel about it.

4. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I agree. It's artificial and means nothing.

It's completely different to the gymnastics team medal, where individual performances have a bearing on the individual events and the fact that the figure skating team event only appears at the Olympics is just proof of how artificial it is.

5. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I think the team event is cool. I'm a huge gymnastic fans so I have no issue with team medals. And I do think the team event should be given as much credence as the individuals-to a degree. The Sport as well as the countries who are great at figure skating should feel no guilt that they can support a full team. Go a head and feel pride in your accomplishment and your country. The individuals who were chosen for the team were chosen because they did well enough in the qualifying events (both team and individual) to be selected for the team. That is how team events work.

But, Especially until the team event is fully established, I think they should use the event the medal was won. For the individual and the sport the medals are important great achievements. But the team medal was won collectively with their team. So I would use Olympic team Bronze medalist Ashley Wagner and Ladies Olympic Bronze medalist Carolina Kostner. The extra word isn't going to kill any one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  6. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

It doesn't prove anything, since there can be multiple explanations. As previously mentioned elsewhere, the Olympics is very nationalistic. The general public often tune in to a sporting event to cheer their country's athletes, even if they know nothing about that sport. Perhaps by giving the general public a country oriented team Figure Skating event at the Olympics, the ISU hoped to generate more interest (not to mention encourage some countries to improve in all four disciplines). At Worlds, the general public will be less likely to tune in. Hence it would be less effective to include a team event. It would be harder to justify the cost.

Initially, yes. If other countries sit on their laurels and don't make the effort to work on the other disciplines, then perhaps permanently. It's their choice. Just like the dominance in women's hockey, it will likely take time to balance out.

True, but how can you force CSOI/SOI, the media, or anyone else to follow that rule? This whole argument is purely hypothetical, because they will do as they please regardless.

7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Maybe. But it does seem to be a chicken or egg type thing. Do people hate the event because "lesser" skaters get oly medals, or resent the medalists because the event isn't as competitive as the individual events?

8. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I diagree - I think it proves the point exactly. If the governing body of a sport is not willing to add a team event to its world championships, then the governing body itself does not believe it is a viable event, therefore, the team event at the Olympics is a BS attempt to hand out more medals.

9. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

They have the team event outside the World championships but it's still an ISU event so I don't see rather or not it's at the world championships matters. The WTT is the team world championships more or less.

And yes nothing can make organizers classify the medals but if I were the ptb, it's how I would do it. Especially until the team event is fully established. The team medal is a great achievement but it was won collectively.

10. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

*shrug* we'll see going forward. Presently it is an ISU sanctioned and invented event and 3 were held in the run up to the olys. Maybe they will combine it with worlds going forward. Or maybe now that Russia got more OGMs in Sochi, they'll drop it :p but I think the former is more likely.

11. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

An Olympic medal awarded to an individual in a single/pair event. to an individual who participated in a medal winning team are Olympic medalists. Do you announce the individuals of pair team or dance team as "one of the members of a dance team who won a gold medal" or do you say _____&______ Olympic gold medalist?

The members of the team won the medal, they deserve to be recognized as such.

12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I don't mind. A gold is a gold medal. May be useful to be a bit more specific like Gold Medal (Team) or Gold Medal (Individual).

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It bothers me because the team event should have had to go through a demonstration phase. The IOC is too quick to grant legitimacy to gimmicky events. It's become self-evidently commercial and corrupt.

14. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

To be a proof, you would need to show there can be no other possible explanation. Otherwise, it is just your opinion being stated as fact.

15. crisp

crisp New Member

Frankly, I am surprised that [No] is leading by a big margin.

You guys are too PC or kind. :)

My reply would be [Yes] because I feel as if Olympics team medals are the ghost accomplishments, or OTG value = WC bronze or GPF gold.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

But it only has 50% of the vote, which indicates to me that fans who voted have mixed feelings (as I had suspected).

ETA: Not that polls in the Trash Can are meant to be conclusive of anything, of course. ;)

17. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Maybe they will cancel the team event and those medals will eventually be worth millions on eBay, like rare collector coins. Perhaps even more valuable than the individual event medals ;)

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  18. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

"Figure Skating Team Event Gold medalist" is a mouthful, though. I don't mind either way. I just think most people are too lazy to choose a longer description when a shorter one is available.

19. tortellini

tortellini Member

no? why would it?

20. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Team medalists have an Olympic Medal, so I'm fine with them being called Olympic Medalists. But I think an individual medal carries much more weight. For example, I think Carolina's individual bronze is worth 1000x more than Ashley's team bronze, ditto Yuna Kim's Silver vs Kaetlyn's. I suppose part of that is FS has always been an individual sport and individual accomplishment, so it's just what I'm used to. But it's also that Carolina earned a medal completely on her own merit, while a team medalist may or may not have contributed in great part to a medal (think Jeremy Abbott). There is no way Ashley/Kaetlyn are the competitive equal of Carolina/Yuna, so a part of me thinks they would not have medals if not for a team event.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  21. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I guess this confuses me. Has YuNa or Carolina or any of the individual medalists said the my medal is better than yours?

22. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Of course team medals are technically Olympic medals, but I get annoyed when people begin to use team medals with significant weight to assess skaters' careers (skater X has a gold medal in the team event, so their career is just as good as that of a skater who won Olympic gold in the individual event), which has been done quite a few times on FSU. And while it's technically correct to call a skater who has not won a World/Olympic individual medal an Olympic medalist simply because of their team result, I find it to be extremely misleading and unnecessary.

When assessing skaters' careers, I will use their performances in the team event (NOT the overall team placement) in assessment, but only as tiebreakers in comparison to other skaters of a similar level, not as significant criteria such as individual World/Olympic gold.

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I will use as tie breakers artistic impression.

24. NMURA

NMURA Member

It depends on each skater's contribution. For example, most of Russians did worthy performances for their "gold", but Abbott and Osmond didn't.

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think an Olympic team medal is not as prestigious as an individual medal, but it is still an Olympic medal.

26. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Like others here I think it should be stated that "so and so" is O medalist from the team event. Especially in the case of a skater who had no chance of winning an individual medal. I'm not a fan of the team event. Lots of medals handed out to skaters who really only got a medal due to the strength of their teammates skills. That seems wrong to me but such is life.

27. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Whereas your opinion is fact? :rolleyes:

28. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Maybe you should have actually read my post before commenting. Show me where I stated or implied my suggestion was fact. I said there were multiple possible explanations, I offered one example, and used the word "Perhaps". I wasn't the one who said "proves the point exactly".

29. annabrown

annabrown Member

Do none of you follow other sports. Swimming and other sports have team medals. When Michael Phelps was chasing Spitz's gold records they didnt say he was chasing 4 individual golds, they said 7 golds. Had he won 5 or 6 individual golds but no relays he would be said to be not as good as Spitz, even though individually he did more. Figure skating has been an individual sport a long time but sport, like life, and the world evolves. This is figure skatings evolution, and no longer is it just an individual sport. So yes any medal is a legitimate medal. No qualifications needed.

30. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

^^^ I believe that in swimming (which I do not follow) the team relays involve swimming on the part of all the people on the team. They also work and train together for the relay. Not so in "team" figure skating. There is really, except for the country of origin, no team there.