Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

1. Yes

78 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No

169 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. I may get used to it in time

46 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Depends who the skater is

25 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

This is true of every team sport. Replace skater with whatever word is germane to the sport.

(And I know a number of people who would say that PE is harder than calculus... But to go to your example, I've seen multiple high schools where the valedictorian took the perfect grades in easy classes strategy. They still got the honor, and resulting scholarships, over much smarter students who learned more in AP classes.)

2. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Yup, but sports fans definitely know the difference.

3. iarispiralllyof

This sounds unlikely. At many schools, there is often a tie (sometimes between as many as 20 people) for valedictorian, so they might break the tie based upon the difficulty of the curriculum chosen. At other schools, advanced classes are weighted more heavily so that students can get higher than the traditional 4.0 if they take AP, honors, IB classes. Schools aren't dumb enough to give it to someone who took all easy classes.

4. angelflies

angelflies Member

Who cares. Any real fan of the sport knows what kind of medal they won and can judge its value for themselves. For someone who doesnt follow or have awareness of that sport, the people could lie and make up something altogether and you wouldnt know the difference anyway, so what is wrong with factually stating what is technically true- Olympic gold or Olympic medalist.

5. Skittl1321

Apparently some are. Our district weighted honor over regular, but not AP over honors. My friend was #2 to a case like I described in a neighboring school.

They also had to put rules down about transferring from an easier school (where it was easy to get good grades) to a more difficult one the last semester senior year because they were sued multiple times.

I don't know if it was the state or district but valedictorian got a year of free tuition, so it was a big deal and those top students definetly played the game to keep their GPA top. AP classes could kill it (or being in a sport that required a class).

When I taught I saw it become even more common.

6. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I don't see it as cheating or even as lying, but it would be attempting to deceive if directed at folks who don't pay that much attention to skating or likely even remember there was a team event. Let's be honest. Some of these skaters weren't good enough to get anywhere near a podium on their own but got dragged into the medals by having some strong teammates. (Say thank you, Jeremy and Kaetlyn.)

I notice that in their promotional materials, SOI is not calling the US skaters bronze medalists, they are saying "team bronze medalists" (except Davis & White of course).

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Not on the U.S. and Canadian SOI sites, though:
    U.S.: http://www.starsonice.com/the-skaters.html

A recent thread in GSD was titled "Kaetlyn Osmond - Olympic Silver Medalist?"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  8. lauren329

lauren329 Member

I was at SOI in NJ the other night. The team bronze medalists were initially introduced in the following "2 time US Champion(s) and Olympic bronze medalist(s)" for Ashley and C/S. "4 time US champion and Olympic bronze medalist" for Jeremy. "US ladies champion and Olympic bronze medalist" for Gracie. "Olympic bronze medalist" for Jason. When they did second numbers, it was just "Olympic bronze medalist." There was no team qualifier at any point and I really wouldn't expect there to be at US tour.

9. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Deleted

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Excuse me but I don't have asthma or any physical problems. How dare you assume that I have some physical disability or a disease! Athletics is simply not my strong point. I am very good at Calculus and other Math courses. Your condescending attitude is very troubling.

I have already addressed the less talented members of a TEAM- an idea that you seem to bother you a lot. A TEAM wins as a whole, regardless of who has more talent. The less talented ones have their contributions also.

With this, I am going to stop arguing with you.

11. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

It seriously doesn't matter. The general public does not give it much thought. Yes die hard skating fans will know the difference. As for not so die hard skating fans...after they read someone won an Olympic medal, they will forget about it 10 seconds later. Ashley Wagner Olympic bronze medalist, Carolina Kostner Olympic bronze medalist. Ask a non skating fan from the US 10 min later and they will say Nancy Kerrigan won the whole dang event.

You win a medal, you win a medal. I am sure people like Jeremy look at their medal and know they did zero to contribute to it, but at the end of the day he was still part of the team. He is kind of like the football players who just sit on the sidelines during the entire superbowl but still get a ring if their team wins.

12. iarispiralllyof

Seriously? I wasn't accusing YOU of having a physical disability. I was telling you that I didn't need you to bring up such examples to prove your point as they would be the exception, not the norm. I'm far from athletic myself but I always received A's in PE because my PE teachers always handed them out like candy if you showed up every day and at least tried. That may not be the case for everyone, but that would certainly never happen in a Calc class. In general most people would agree Calc is a harder class.

While I can accept differing opinions, this is the first time I've seen people so passionately championing PE's difficulty level in comparison to Calculus :scream: (a random analogy I just thought off the top of my head that is now being dissected).

13. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

SOI broadcast did specify that those skaters who won only a team Olympic medal were referred to as 'Olympic Team Medallist'.

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Not what I am saying at all. BTW - I said I knew it was not cheating.

Your example proves my point. Everyone on the basketball team contributes to the team effort. They practice drills together, travel together, etc., etc., etc. A country's figure skating "team" does nothing together except press promotions, and represent the same country.

Has nothing, in my mind, to do with new or old.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  15. unicorn

unicorn Member

I have no problem if they are called the Olympic team gold medalists or team silver medalists, I think it's same in gymnastics. But for the market value, I have no problem if they are called Olympic medalists in shows.

16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

An Olympic 'Team' medallist is still an Olympic medallist just as much as an individual medallist. Silly of anyone to think otherwise.

17. Skittl1321

And if you are Michelle Kwan, non-skating fans just go ahead and assume that medal was gold. Both of them...
    Which is probably why she is most often announced as "Two time Olympic medalist" and not "Bronze and Silver Olympic medalist". The description works better in her favor.

18. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

But she is a two time Olympic Medalist...there is nothing deceiving about it. Same as how there is nothing deceiving about saying someone who won a team medal at the Olympics is an Olympic medalist.

19. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

It's fascinating to see that even a poll of uber post season fans, largely feel that it doesn't bother them. This to me translates into "the general public" then has no idea whether the medal is of the truly rare individual event variety, or the team type. This will translate over time (pretty quickly I should think given the public's short memory) to a dilution of the market power or 'value' of the Olympic individual medal, and having a Team medal will be held in pretty much the same high esteem. Interesting.

20. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think the point is that some skaters can medal in the team event basically for just showing up. If the contestants in three of the discipline skate great, a fourth who skates poorly can be held up.

That said, I enjoyed the team event. But a team event medalist is not the Champion or silver/bronze medalist in a discipline and I don't think a team event medal will every carry the same weight or prestige as an individual event medalist.

And it is not the same as a team sport where all players contribute their part to the game. Although probably some players do contribute less than others, in truth, and still benefit from the medal.

22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If that was true, how come the Japanese or the French did not win a team medal? It takes effort from everyone, even the less successful ones. Jeremy could have finished in last place and the US could have been on the podium.

Actually in this FS team competition, the team members contributed more than -e.g. the Olympic Hockey gold medal, or some of the Superbowl championship teams. The skaters actually spent the same amount of time on the ice as some of their other team members (either 2:40 or 4:00 or 4:30 min)

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I would say that Jeremy's performance had something to do with Team USA not placing higher. :p

Did anyone on Team Russia not do their job? :confused:

24. crisp

crisp New Member

For me, Olympics team gold = WC bronze or GPF gold

25. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Olympic gold is an Olympic gold, no matter what event it is; IOC is not differentiating so why should we?, IOC does not announce an olympic gold medalist as for example coxman on 8+ rowing event when announcing the gold medalist, so get used to it; if not listen to someone like Osmond being called a Olympic medalist few times that will help you get used to this.

26. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Everyone on a team contributed in varying degrees. Even if they were little more than a place holder to qualify a team, that would be their little contribution. Abbott had a bad day, but USA would not have had "any" medal without him. Still, we must also consider "potential" contribution. There was a reason each and every athlete was added to their team (whether it played out or not). Although Japan didn't medal, what if Asada skated as she did in her individual SP?

27. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Uh, yes, they would have, because Jason would have skated the SP and skated his little heart out as usual and probably placed higher than Jeremy. Or if we're talking about a situation where Jeremy is not at the Olympics at all, Max would have gone out and skated his heart out and probably placed higher than Jeremy.

Let's be honest. Jeremy gave a performance that was lukewarm at best and that he totally gave up on after the first blown jump, before blowing it off to the media as just a warm up. Everyone else on Team USA gave their all in their performances. I am happy to call Meryl and Charlie, Simon and Marissa, Gracie, Ashley and Jason Olympic bronze medallists. I will never call Jeremy an Olympic bronze medallist because he did not earn that medal; he relied on everyone else on that team to do it for him.

28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

A team medal is an Olympic medal, so whoever wins one is an Olympic medalist.

So long as they don't bring those medals with them wherever they go (I am looking at you, Team USA members) I don't have any problem with it ;)

29. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

Yes, it bothers me. The team event is utterly bogus and just a medal grab for certain counties. Award medals to the federation presidents.

30. Bonem

Bonem New Member

Is this poll about hating the event?