Does Emily Hughes teach Learn to Skate?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, Jan 16, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

In 2007 she was still competing, so I would be really surprised if she had time to teach Learn to Skate as well. The picture may be from a "meet the skater" event or from some other special event.

Emily may have taught Learn to Skate at some point, but more likely as a "program assistant" rather than teaching the whole class herself. A lot of the competitive skaters at my rink are program assistants, but the ones that are competing at national level usually don't have time to do that.

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Maybe she does. I know Amanda Evora teaches it. So why not Emily?

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

At the time the picture was taken, she was still in school and was also skating internationally. I would be very surprised if she would have time to teach Learn to Skate. Amanda Evora isn't in school as far as I know.

5. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

I know a lot of national competitors that do teach learn to skate classes as instructors and also some who are assistants. I think it depends on how the individual programs are run at each rink. I don't recall Emily teaching in Boston while she was attending Harvard and training. Unfortunately, the picture link isn't opening for me though, so I can't comment on whether it was a meet and greet or if she may have just been invited as a guest for the learn to skate kids.

6. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

the link didn't work for me

7. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So some famous Skaters actually DO run the Learn to Skate Program themselves?

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I'm guessing that FSWer's link is to a photo of Emily Hughes on the ice in the Figure Skating in Harlem benefit, "Skating with the Stars," held in Central Park's Wollman rink in April 2007. Emily and the other skaters probably weren't teaching formal skating lessons but just having fun skating with kids on the ice that day.

9. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

I know a couple of former competitive skaters who are the directors of Learn to Skate programs. I was referring to some current competitive athletes who are part of their LTS coaching staff and actually teach some of the classes on their own (under the director). Others work as assistants to the coaches, but that depends on how the program is run within the rink.