Does Chan's lack of OGM take him out of contention for all-time Top 5?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by t.mann, Mar 1, 2014.

Does Chan's lack of OGM take him out of contention for all-time Top 5?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2014.
  1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Chan : OSM, 3 WC golds, 2 WC silvers, 7 WR settings, the best ever skating skills

No in my book. (Still a contender for very high ranking.)
    In your book?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

Not so much the lack of OGM but the controversial worlds wins with bad performances (2013, 2012).

3. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Oui, bien sur

4. t.mann

t.mann New Member

It has to be considered that quite a few people thought/think in hindsight 09WC title had to go to Chan.

5. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

I've rarely seen complaints about 2009 (an OK clean performance won), certainly not the level of outrage of 2012 and 2013, which led to a loooooot of b--ch fests.

6. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

Lack of Olympic gold doesn't take him out of contention. What takes him out of contention is the same thing that takes Sasha Cohen out of contention: lack of consistency, and poorly skated LP's. His lack of a reliable triple axel really hurt him.

Actually he reminds me of Sasha Cohen. Beautiful skater, lovely edges, musicality, etc. Just not ever consistent enough with the jumps.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

He will be remember for his beautiful skating skills and transitional moves as Midori Ito was for her jumps.

Saying that, whilst Ito only ever had one world title and an Olympic silver medal to her name, she is still regarded as one of the best female skaters ever.

8. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I wouldn't consider him in the top 5 because of his three world titles, he really only deserved one of them. It's a pity because he's a remarkable skater, and his combination of performances at TEB possibly make for the best competition put forward by a man, ever. But he never could put it together to two near-clean programs. I also think that he was given too much credit for PCS until around the last two seasons when he really blossomed. His Rach and Baroque programs are simply masterpieces.

9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

It isn't even about him; there are at least 5 other skaters for any "all time list" that (IMO) should outrank him ... one of whom (Kurt Browning) doesn't have an Oly medal of any kind. (Other 4 -- Dick Button; Ulrich Salcow; Plush; Grafstrom)

10. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

I dont think Chan is top 5 all time, but it is not based on his failure to win the OGM. So I voted no for that simple reason. If he isnt top 5 all time it is more due to his inconsistency, and his high number of controversial wins.

11. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

I think he should have won the 2009 Worlds but you could atleast make a case for Evan's win. He skated completely clean in both programs with Chan made 2 obvious mistakes. Neither attempted a quad and had about the same jumps. It cannot be compared to the 2012 and 2013 Worlds results which drew far more controversy about them, fairly or unfairly, than any Worlds in recent memory, and way more than 2009.

12. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

His win in 2012 was controversial but it certainly was not a poor performance and it is very unfair to say that. It was still an excellent performance. In the short only one small mistake and in the long one big mistake on a simple jump that was a bit flukish and one other small mistake.

13. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

I'm sorry but while that splat on the double axel attempt was memorably hilarious and makes a great fail gif, that performance left a lot of room for controversy with that event and especially beating Takahashi..

14. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

This is how I see it too. He is neither a great artist nor a monster technician who regularly delivers stupendous programs of either sort. I loved him so much in his first year or two as a senior, but something went wrong, for me. Yagudin, Plushy, Curry, Browning, Takahashi - there is my list.

15. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Wouldn't the answer depend a lot on whose top five list was in question?

I mean, if it was Top Five Olympic Gold Medalists, he'd obviously be out of the running. But if was My Top Five Men Skaters, maybe he wouldn't be?

16. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

Also kinda depends on if he retires or continues competing (and if he can keep up). But currently, what puts him at a disadvantage for legend/greatest status is his terrible consistency. As for his technical vs. artistic sides, he has good artistry but not like Takahashi amazing and while he is a consistent quad lander, his triple axel is out of control and he falls a lot on random stuff.

If I'm deciding on "greats": Artistic - Curry, Takahashi. Technical - Plushenko. Good mix of both - Browning, Yagudin.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

He is one of the great skaters of our time, but I wouldn't place him in the top 5 all time. To me, the top 5 all time would be Dick Button, Evgeny Plushenko, Grafstrom, Salchow, Yagudin.

If we drop Button, Grafstrom & Salchow, since they were from the mainly CF era, and considered skaters starting from 1980,

Plushenko, Yagudin, Browning, Boitano, Hamilton, Orser would place ahead of him. Out of these, only Browning is without an Olympic medal, but I am having difficulty dropping him from the list. By contrast, Stojko was a pioneer (first 4-3 combination) and he won 3 world titles and two Olympic silver medals, but I am having difficulty placing him above Chan because of Chan's great basic skating skills and the beauty of his 4-3.

However, Chan has not retired yet, so he could potentially win more world titles and if he sticks around till 2018, he will be one of the contenders/challengers for the gold.

18. floskate

floskate Vacant

I agree the consistency is the question mark on his career thus far. But he has had some utterly brilliant skates that on their own merits would make a great argument to be regarded as amongst the greatest performances of all time.

19. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Good if somewhat inconsistent skater.
    Hot or cold connection to the music and the audience.
    Poor PR skills.

20. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

If/After Hanyu wins a second OGM in four years Chan will not even be remembered as the best of his era let alone all-time.

I do think Chan is a very gifted skater and will be remembered more like Lambiel.

The greatest champions in any sport have great heart. Chan's failure to ever beat Plushenko, who was way past his physical prime speaks volumes.

Same with his controversial win over an aging Dai. Chan's reputation win over Dennis Ten is not what earns a skater a best of all time ranking. To the contrary it makes it clear he was an average competitor, who had great SS but technical issues on axel jumps that he never solved.

Perhaps he will continue and that could change things. He could win a 4th WC in a few weeks which would be a nice way to go out.

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

is this what you meant to say?

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Trick question? I'm having a hard time seeing him as definite top 5 WITH an OGM. So, no, it's not the lack of it that takes him out of the running. 5 is a very small number. This poll says more about his overhype than his skating IMO.

23. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

This was my thought exactly, and why I voted no.

24. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I(OP) realize the poll question has a possibility of double question or inducing question unintendedly.
    Anyway, because I (who am an admirer for his skating, not his uber) thought Chan is a phenomenal skater very rarely coming, I (mis?-)guessed many users already would be considering him as an all-time top * placer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  25. Vash01

Totally agree.:respec:

26. Vash01

Based on the rules, I think there is some justification for Chan's wins over those two. Only after stronger jumpers like Fernandez and Hanyu came on the scene that Chan was truly challenged, particularly by the latter. That's when his weakness as a competitor was exposed. May be he would have developed it had he not gotten wins that easily early in his career. I would really like him to stick around, get better and be in OGM contention in 2018, but not as heavily as he was in Sochi.

27. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Dennis is not necessarily a better jumper than Chan (maybe his 3A is better but that hardly makes him unique) and Chan's last two WC's for better or worse were highly controversial. Not to mention a few controversial splat filled GP wins.

If someone wants to start a poll over who is skating's most controversial champion I think Chan definitely would make the top five.

If so many of the best minds in skating think Chan has remarkable skills I won't argue against that.

It would be nice for Patrick if he and Yuzu skate lights out at Worlds and Patrick comes out on top. If it is just another typical COP Men's splatfest and Chan wins I don't see that enhancing his legacy as much.

Thinking of Yuna and how well she skated in Sochi is what enhances a skater's reputation.

Losing the Team SP to Yuzu and Plushenko then losing the individual event to a sloppy 19 year old Yuzu at his first Olympics is just not the stuff that creates the greatest best of all-time legacy.

Japanfan and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Vash01

I think he could make the top 5 in the most controversial world champions, but if the Olympic champions (all disciplines included) are thrown in, he won't be anywhere near the top 5 (may be it helped that he did not win, in that case:lol:)

29. elif

elif Active Member

I voted No. Because he is not in all time top 5 so ''you can't lose something you never had'' :rolleyes:

30. liv

liv Well-Known Member

For me it depends on top 5 what. If you mean champion, then yes, his lack of title takes him out of top 5, but if you mean skater, then maybe no.

I think his ability to fight for a title, fight against his rivals and win is lacking, unlike Yagudin, Plushenko etc, who almost always rose to the challenge and put their hearts on the line. They were true champions who brought the audience in and made you marvel at them.

If you mean as a skater, when his jumps are on and his program is complete, then no. His skating skills plus his technical ability make him almost unbeatable and he's fantastic to watch just glide around on the ice. His passion is not as evident as other skaters, but his skating skills are superb.