does anyone here do a salchow with mohawk entry?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Sep 19, 2013.

1. treesprite

treesprite Member

I am thinking I should try doing it this way, but want to hear from other people who have experience doing it. Do folks generally consider it easier or harder than from a 3-turn? What advantages does it give over a 3-turn entry ?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My coach had me do it a few times to get away from being super swingy. I didn't like it, and went back to 3-turns once I showed I could stop being swingy.

I do my "flip" (quotations because it isn't that rotated yet) from a mohawk though.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I've done it, but it doesn't work for me. The 3-turn helps me keep the entry on a curve, and counting through the 3 (one=turn, 2=hold, 3=swing free leg and jump) helps me get the best timing.

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Ditto. I can do it, but it feels awkward and lacks flow.

I see the back outside three-inside mohawk entry more often from skaters who are doing doubles and triples. Maybe it has an advantage for multiple revolutions that those of us doing single salchows don't need and/or don't have the skill to take advantage of.

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If you make it a double 3 before the mohawk, you might even get away with it being called preceding ftwk in a short program :p.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  6. overedge

Only if you wave your arms a lot and over-emote while you're doing it....:p

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

It's harder to check (stop the rotation) after a 3turn... which to me is the main advantage of the mohawk. Most people can't check 3turns, so for a single that can make the jump easier... but for a triple you'd have absolutely no chance. :p

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  8. treesprite

treesprite Member

Thanks for the responses - they are very helpful.

I guess this is basically why I am thinking of it. Ever since I got new blades/skates a few months ago, I have not been able to check properly from the 3-turn before the jump, so I have not been able to do the jump at all this entire time (I could do it with the old skates). I don't want to keep not doing salchows just because it's taking me forever to adjust to these blades.

9. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I agree with those that use the mohawk entrance as a tool to fix a swingy or pre-rotated entrance into the salchow.

Because the mohawk is flatter as well, there is a greater emphasis on jumping, and driving through with the free leg to actually get the jump off the ice, if you don't bend your skating leg and if you don't drive the free leg up and through, you won't get off the ice at all and the jump fails, unlike the 3 turn where even a step over can feel like you've jump with a pre-rotated entrance and under-rotated landing. The difficulty I have is doing the back outside three before the mohawk with any speed, so if my coach uses it as a tool, i just go into the mohawk skating forwards.

10. treesprite

treesprite Member

I'm at the rink waiting for the session, so I'll see if I can do it.

11. treesprite

treesprite Member

Won't be trying it any time soon, because i broke my wrist about 6 hours ago.

I was doing, of all the stupid things, a back mohawk. I fell right as I was changing feet, but I'm not sure why.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Skittl1321

Oh I'm so sorry! Is it your dominant hand?
    I had a very severe sprain when I did a mohawk from backward to forward; I still don't understand how I fell, as it was an easy move for me in a comfortable direction; and I don't understand how I hurt the wrist because I know I didn't use it to catch me when I fell. It was my dominant hand and it made work nearly impossible for the next few months.

I hope your recovery is quicker and less painful than mine was!

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Those things happen on the easiest of things. Hope it gets better soon.

In answer to your question, I can do a salchow from both ways, but I find the 3 turn easier.

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've only seen the Mohawk entrance as a fix for someone who can't control their check on a three-turn entry. Get well soon.

15. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I've done it from both a mohawk and three turn entry, but personally I find it's a lot easier to go from a three turn. Slow down the three turn, keep your back straight and keep yourself checked with your arms going into it... Same thing with the flip.

16. treesprite

treesprite Member

Thanks.

When I was a a kid the flip was my favorite jump. i would fly down the ice and do them like it was nothing. I haven't gotten to working on it yet since returning to skating.

I use mostly my right hand, but am ambidextrous and some things are easier left (for example, skating).

17. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Back in time when I was still jumping, I tried the mohawk entry to see if the Dambier-way of doing it would work.
    It did.
    I don't remember any real difference with the 3 turn entrance, maybe you control more your body position.

Good luck with your wrist, I broke mine re-entering the ice after re-lacing my boot, and catching a pick after 1 meter on the ice.call it stupid... (but pretend to have fallen on a triple Axel, it will save your pride ! ;-) )

18. overedge

:rofl: Excellent advice!

Hope the wrist heals quickly and isn't too painful for you.

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

yeah, that's how I broke my ankle every time--on triple axels!!! Wasn't on stupid nothings or just plain losing my balance and tipping over. . . :shuffle:

Hoping I can get back on the ice soon. Perhaps if I tape the heck out of my ankle. And I will celebrate by trying a sal out of a mohawk. Just for kicks.

Hope your wrist is better soon, treesprite!

20. treesprite

treesprite Member

You guys give a lot of good information, which is very much appreciated. Thank you.

21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Sorry about your sprained wrist, treesprite. Ouch!

Re salchow: whatever your entry, you'll want to make sure your shoulders are square just before jumping into the air. Too much swing in the shoulders as you jump can throw off your body position and affect the balance of your edge. Good luck!

22. treesprite

treesprite Member

Just got back from the orthopedist. He has no problem with me skating with the cast :)

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Nice to get some good news. Hopefully it heals quickly!

24. Skittl1321

Excellent! Hope you heal quickly.

Just a warning- it's going to throw off your scratch spins.

25. treesprite

treesprite Member

Yep, I figured that! I haven't skated since the little bit on Tuesday. The cast will protect the bone if I fall on it, but I still have pain in the arm, so bumping it would not feel very nice. I'm hoping to skate on Monday morning, so when I go to my class on Tuesday I'll feel comfortable enough to actually do the stuff instead of just listening.

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I found it easier to go into the salchow from a left forward outside 3 turn. I also did it sometimes from a right back outside three into a mohawk entrance but always lost a lot of speed before the take-off doing it that way.

27. BFFSkater

BFFSkater New Member

I usually use the 3 turn entry. I do use the Mohawk entry when the salchow is the 2nd jump in a sequence. The same thing with the flip. I use the 3 turn entry when I do the flip singly or first in the combo or sequence. I use the Mohawk entry when it is second or third in the sequence.