Does anyone coupon?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, May 6, 2011.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Does anyone coupon? My bf and I have been trying to get into it and have been learning the tricks of the trade. We have had many arguments about it but I guess that is part of the fun, :lol: We have accepted that we are never going to have shopping trips like you see on Extreme Couponing where someone gets $100 worth of groceries for $3.75 There are no stores in our area, or even in the state (I have researched), that double coupons and doubling is essential to get the products for free.

Anyway, in this economy it is important to save every penny you can. It costs $5 in gas just to drive to the store these days! Please come and share any great coupons or deals you find.

Winn Dixie is doing a pretty good sale this week. They have boxes of Hamburger Helper on sale for $1 and I found a coupon for .75 off if you buy 3 so you can get 3 boxes for $2.25 which is not bad. I am waiting until the last possible minute to buy them because I am holding out hope that I find a better coupon to pair with the store deal.

I check out coupon.com for coupons. However, they seem to be infamous for only putting up coupons that require you buy multiple products. It seems like a good saving but when you divide it by 3 it really isn't so special.

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I tried, but couldn't cost justify the time involved. I figure my time is worth at least $10/hr, so I need to save $10 for every hour I invest in it. Like you, we have no stores that double, so it takes some doing to save even $10. With our grocery store around the corner (3/10ths of a mile), gas isn't a factor either.

I do watch for coupons for items we buy all the time, but I don't hold them for sales or match them with multiple grocer's circulars.

3. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I'm not extreme about it, but I find that coupons can save me maybe $4-5 on the average grocery bill. My best deals are usually for health and beauty products combined with drugstore sales.

4. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I don't coupon, it's not really a big thing here. We get flyers with sales advertised, but they don't contain actual coupons. I keep an ongoing shopping list and go once every 10 days or so, and I usually compare my list to the flyers and decide which of the 4 grocery stores near my house to go to. If none of them are better than another I like to shop at stores that have club cards that give you automatic discounts on whatever items are featured that week.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My sister is a pretty extreme couponer -- I've told her she ought to go on the show. :) It actually annoys me a bit that the series seems to dwell on the really extreme cases, and then people watch and think they're all nuts. Not everyone does it just to hoard themselves a garage full of toothpaste. My sister does it because she needs to. She's paid a low salary and lives in a high-income area, and it helps her put food on the table. I'd like to see the show focus on more cases like hers. (Though I did like that they showed the one guy putting together something like a thousand care packages for the troops.)

6. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I sometimes use coupons - for things like laundry detergent and toothpaste and stuff like that. But only if I actually need the things when I come across the coupon. If I cut them out and keep them - I end up throwing them out the next year. I've never seen this doubling business.

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I coupon from the fliers, but I don't get coupons off websites. Food Lion, a grocery here, has a booth where you can scan your card and it will print out coupons you can use on that shopping trip. Sometimes there are free item coupons, and a few other useful ones. Between my grocery card, and a few coupons, I can usually save over 5 dollars...which is better than nothing.

8. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for this thread to pop up in the wake of the show...which my husband and I LOVE. I'm totally addicted to it.

One thing to note about the show, several people on it have been pretty much proven to be couponing fradulently, like using coupons on products they weren't meant for. J'aime (the lady with the hooker boots and goshawful makeup) is the biggest example, she'd even posted YouTube videos showing how she used coupons fradulently at Target. So some of it I take with a grain of salt now.

I have to admit, a part of me wants to try to get like $500 worth of stuff for $5. I can see how people get a thrill from that. But if it's $500 of items and food I won't use or eat, then what do I do with it all? I don't need 57 mustards and 100 Yakisoba noodles.

Right now I am just trying to combine coupons with store sales for stuff we really buy. I actually got my hands on a bunch of .75 off any Vitamin Water coupons recently. My Stop and Shop doubles coupons up to .99, so when the Vitamin Water was on sale for $1.00, I was able to get all of them for free. I didn't get any "overage" but the coupon doubled up to the price of the item, so they were free.

Brian, check out Slickdeals. On their forums, there's a section for grocery and drugstore deals and people list out all the sales that week and the corresponding coupons that can be used with them. Super helpful! Although you basically have to start a stockpile of coupons for a few weeks to have the needed ones on hand.

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I've been thinking I should start couponing, but I think I might end up buying stuff I won't even really want and don't want to spend the time searching out coupons. It would be nice if there was one central place to search for any coupon you could want. You know, just do a search with your grocery list.

What I did start doing recently was using the safeway.com web site to add additional coupons and deals to my club card. It takes less than five minutes per week and I can do it while I'm watching tv. They almost always have a few things that I buy or need, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Even if it saves me just ten or fifteen bucks per month, it's worth it.

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

For anyone who has a Pathmark or Waldbaums nearby, this weekend they have double coupons up to $2, and next weekend they'll be doing triple coupons up to and including $1. The deals last Fri, Sat, and Sun. They are not quite as good as they sound, because usually when they have really good coupon deals like that, nothing good is on sale. :lol: Last week they had triples and some of the stuff at regular price + triples was still more expensive that buying on sale with the usual double coupons. But you can usually find pastas, chips, and staples like that you can get free.

Also if anyone has Stop & Shop they have a good deal on Hallmark Expressions cards this week. Buy 3 and get $5 off your next order. The key is some of these cards are only $.99! Today I bought 6, the machine spit out two $5 coupons, I used one of them on my order and paid $1.45 for 6 birthday cards and had a $5 coupon for my next order. Essentially a moneymaker.

Definitely check out extrabucks/register rewards deals at CVS and Walgreens. They will often put the product "free after extra bucks" so if you use a coupon, the coupon will cover your tax (in my state we pay tax on non-foods) and you make a little extra. We get lots of things like toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, mouthwash, razors, and shaving cream for free. I don't go over the top because I don't have space, but I like to keep a stash that will last 3-6 months then I kind of ignore the sales until it's time to replenish. Those items go on sale all the time.

I try to eat healthy, and produce is really expensive, so I still end up spending a lot of money on food, but I figure every little bit helps so why spend money on things like that?

So I guess the answer is yes, I coupon. :lol: To be honest it's more for fun than anything. It's like mastering a giant puzzle. You have to memorize the different coupon rules and procedures for all the different stores, which ones give overage, which ones let you "roll" extra bucks... I often compare it to studying for the Multistate portion of the Bar exam. :p

ETA: And don't get me started on when CVS clearances their cosmetics at 75% off and I have $2-3 coupons and get tons of L'oreal, Revlon, etc products for like $.50 each. Love it.

11. BigB08822

Thanks for the recommendation for Slickdeals. I used to live on that forum. I was addicted to the Contests and Sweepstakes section. Over the course of a year I won thousands of dollars in cash and prizes. However, in order to do that I spent HOURS each day at my computer entering contests and playing instant win games which you could play 1 time a day so I had this huge folder saved of all the Instant win games and I would go to them all through out the day. It was definitely worth it, though. Couponing seems like MORE work with less payout since I can't find a store that will double. Anyway, back to Slickdeals, I didn't know about that particular section of their forums! Thanks so much, off to hunt it down, now.

One of the big arguments my bf and I have had is that he wants to buy stuff we wouldn't need or otherwise buy. My view is that I wont even spend 10 cents on something I don't want or wouldn't use. My bf will spend $10 if it saves him $10 because he only thinks of how much money he saved. We bought 3 boxes of cereal because he had a 75 cent off of 3 coupon and they were already on sale for $2.50 a box. That is already a good deal but we do NOT need 3 boxes of cereal and we buy cereal maybe 3 times a year, max. So why go spend $6 on cereal just because you saved a little? If we had kids that ate cereal every morning it would be a no brainer. So this causes a LOT of problems for us and I am sure many well meaning people end up spending MORE money than they need to just because something is on sale.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

http://slickdeals.net/coupondb/
    :)

13. BigB08822

I am going through the list. I have seen a couple I want to use but there is nothing to click on or a way to see/get the coupon. Is this just a list of what is available but you have to find the coupons on your own?

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Well it's a database that lists all coupons that are available. If you save your weekly Sunday inserts, it tells you if the coupon was found in what particular insert (Smart Source, Red Plum, Proctor & Gamble, etc) for what week and then you can clip it.

This thread http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=652949&t=2297891 will give you links to actual printable coupons you could use immediately. Just do a search with control-F

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The Giant grocery store in my area sends out doubler coupons in the weekly flyer that you can use to double brand name coupons up to $1. They send like 4 at a time. One time, I only had 3 $1 coupons to double so I had an extra doubler coupon. The clerk told me that the doubler coupons each act as a $1 coupon when scanned. You don't have to have any coupons to double - you can just get $4 off your grocery bill. That is not how it is advertised, but that is how it works. So if your store has anything like that, don't forget to use the doublers.

16. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I used to coupon when the kids were at home and got pretty good at it. One thing I learned was not to use the coupon in the paper the first week. Stuff is not on sale and they want you to buy it when it's not on sale! So I would wait a week or so.
    Get them ready before you go out. I used a little file system.
    Walmart matches prices from others ads, so take the other flyers with you to Walmart. Don't buy things just because you have a coupon. My best was 35.00 off a 100.00 shopping bill. Adverage was around 23.00 per 100.00.

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Hmm, I don't "coupon" as a verb, but I do sometimes use coupons. However I eat so few processed foods, and so many of my personal care & home care products are generics, there aren't a lot of coupons of that type that work for me.

"Extreme couponing" doesn't work in Canada, either, since stores here don't do doubling.

Where I do use coupons, though, is for restaurants. I buy an Entertainment Book every year, and a lot of my favourite restaurants have extra coupons from the EB web site, or in the local restaurants. And I've recently become a bit of an addict for Groupon. At last count I think I was getting daily emails from at least 7 of them: Groupon, WagJag, TeamBuy, EthicalDeals, SwarmJam, Bargoonz, and DealFind. I've used them for revisiting known favourites and for trying new places. They're also good for other types of deals, like yoga, spas, movie theatres, and a big score of half off my BCAA membership renewal.

18. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I do coupon, but it's not my main thing. I don't buy a lot of brand names/processed food. However, I don't consider it a waste of time - I consider that and foodshopping a hobby. Really. It's genetic. My gram used to go on and on about sales and going to five different stores and my mom would fall asleep and I'd be rapt with attention, sucking it all in, as a kid.

What I do is memorize prices and shop only for the loss leaders. I never buy a brand name not on sale. I shop at five different stores on a regular basis. No gas wasted since I don't drive. No time wasted since three stores are within two miles of my house, and the other two are next to (a) my gym; (b) my rink. I wish I had more access to coupons, but I don't get the Sunday paper and I'm unwilling to sign up for the on-line ones, as most markets around here don't accept them.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My mom cuts out the coupons from the newspaper flyers and will give me some for products that she knows I use. If there's a coupon I think I'll use, I fold it around my bonus card for the supermarket so I don't forget it.

A&P has the additional online coupons like Safeway, where you can get additional coupons added to your card, so I'll do that.

20. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I am so glad to see this thread! When I saw the previews, I literally couldn't wait for this show to come on. My financial situation has changed so much that I was willing to watch, read, and learn whatever I could. Especially since everyone claims that anyone can do it. I wanted to start the thread myself, but most people that I mention the idea of couponing to think it's ridiculous.

I'm not looking to start a stockpile that covers three rooms in my house including the basement, but I would love to actually learn more about saving money or just cutting down some of my expenses. I just saw the guy on there this week that got almost $9xx of groceries for free. I would love to be able to get my basic purchases discounted and be able to contribute to my community. It would be great to reduce some of my expenses, and the show does motivate you. I'm just learning, trying to figure it out. There are several major chains here, one of them doesn't double and the other two only double up to the first 15 coupons up to $0.40. But, I live 20 mins from the state line where the stores double and triple coupons up to a dollar and have loyalty cards, so it might be worth it to travel outside of my neighborhood.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to figure it out. That might be some time that is worth it. Especially when I'm sitting in front of the tv or worse, surfing the internet for less profitable reasons.

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I usually just look thru those coupon flyers you get in the Sunday paper and then usually only pull for stuff I would buy anyway. Sometimes a coupon does get me to try a new product though. Lots of times I have a coupon for an item, compare the price minus the coupon, and there is a cheaper same product on the shelf, I'll just leave the coupon on the shelf and buy the cheaper product. This mostly works for things like detergents, dishwasher stuff, shampoos and soaps, etc. But between using a handful of coupons (all doubled), store sales, and the Kroger customer card deals, I save anywhere from $30-$50 on the receipt when its all totaled up. That's a good deal to me anyways. I don't think I could ever do the crazy couponing like on that show. My attention span is way to short to work that hard at it! :lol:

22. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The amount of time and energy that people put into couponing is impressive. No store in my area doubles coupons, unfortunately. The two major grocery stores, Wegmans and Tops, each have very strong store brands, and they mark the name brands up considerably. So even if you do have a killer coupon, it doesn't end up being more savings than the store brands.

Personal care items, OTOH ... I was pretty freaking proud of myself when I used a $5 off $10 coupon at Ulta when Herbal Essences were 2 for $5, and ended up with 4 bottles for $1.25 each. I also stocked up on my Maybelline mascara when it was 40% off at Rite Aid and I had a bunch of $1 off coupons. But I've never been able to get significant savings on food products.

6,000 posts! :cheer2:

23. Glide2

Glide2 Member

I'm in state, and I get things for free from time to time. Maybe Market Basket does doubling since it's based in Texas. not sure and I've only seen the sign, never actually doubled any.

You have to be patient. I've had pasta $1 coupons and then wait for sale so it's free. Same with sliced cheese and some cleaning products. It's more difficult to find fresh produce coupons except at checkout. I have had really good meat dept coupons, but it didn't amount to free. Having a coupon and waiting for a sale and having a store loyalty card all adds up in a good way.

This week I used a mail in offer that sent coupons for free candy, Baskin Robbins sugar free. (there's one that tastes like oreos, yum). The coupon's on the bag, so it's basically buy one get one. Oh and you have to tell the checkout person to enter the amount of purchase of else it registers as expired.

Also, check the bins of discontinued or leftover items for major discounts. They seem to always have organic and natural items there which are higher priced to start with. Also if you have store loyalty cards you can use your points towards free things or discounts. Kroger is good for this, esp. gas discounts 10 cents off per gallon for every 100 points.
    I've never had a 200 dollar shopping cart for 2 dollars. Not sure it's worth the hours of work or having to buy things just because of the coupon.

One of the best discounts ever IMO was after Easter candy sale. They made an announcement while we were in Albertson's that all the remaining Easter candy was in the front of the store in shopping carts and everything was 10 cents each. JOY.

Also they sometimes discount their rotisserie chickens at the end of the store day. Good for stir fry or stew the next day.

24. BigB08822

We don't have Market Basket on this side of Louisiana. However, I am very familiar with them since I was born and raised in Beaumont, TX. We also don't have any Krogers over here. Our main choices are Albertson's and Winn Dixie as far as major grocery stores.

25. Glide2

Glide2 Member

Best of luck with the Mississippi River flooding. I'm concerned for y'all. The news showed the Angola prisoners on the news filling sandbags.

26. BigB08822

I am not worried. Maybe I am being naive but they are usually really good at knowing exactly what level the river will rise to and I don't think any of their estimates have it breaching the levee. They will also open a couple of spill ways that will help a little. I remember a few years ago (2008 I think) the river was to the very top steps at the levee near the casino. It couldn't get much higher than that and at the time it wasn't even being talked about on the news. So I guess I have a hard time understanding what is to big about this. I am mainly referring to my city of Baton Rouge. I realize other places have major issues to worry about and I hope for the best for them. Angola always has to be evacuated when the river gets high, I think they had to do it in 2008. The biggest concern would be if something happened which allowed the levee to break or what not, but that could happen at any time. I probably should be worried, the river is right by my house, probably 1.5 miles east of me. If something happened I am screwed.

27. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I have just been to Kroger's website. Apparently they are implementing a new coupon policy nationwide where they will no longer be doubling or tripling coupons. The old policy allowed you to use the manufacturer coupons and the loyalty cards with manufacurer and store discounts on them. The store says they were not getting reimbursed b/c customers were getting the manufactuer coupons disccounted twice. Hence, Kroger now has a new policy that tested in Texas.

I guess what amazes me on the show is how everyone of these couponers get all of their paper products and laundry detergents free. If I could just figure out how to get free Charmin and Gain (my favorite brands) then couponing would be worth my time. I want to know how to cut down on the paper and cleaning supplies.

28. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I wanted to comment on this particularly for Kiki. Most supermarkets in Ontario (and maybe elsewhere, no idea there) price match on competitor's ads. The only ones that definately don't are the Metro chains, including Food Basics. I myself do it every week, gather up all the ads, pick the products from each on sale that I want and buy them all at one store. I usually buy at No Frills, but I've done it at other's when I've been close to them when I'm out. Just tell the cashier that you'd like a price match and have the flyers with you. They're use to it, everyone does it around here. No need to pick a store and lose out on the other's sales.

29. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

That's good advice. I usually do go to Metro, especially when they have big Airmiles specials on, but I should try going to No Frills more. I've only been there a few times and I wasn't overly impressed with the produce quality or how almost all the canned products were dented, but they're still a hell of a lot better than Price Chopper :scream:

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I've mentioned this before, but this seems like the ideal time to mention it again - Canadians, use your AirMiles!

It couldn't be simpler - we collect them at the grocery store, gas station and several other places we frequent, and then a couple of times a year I cash them in. No, not for toasters or discounts on rental cars, but cash coupons for Metro (grocery store). In effect, for doing nothing, I get a $200 load of groceries for free several times a year.

Too many people seem to think the AirMiles program is only for travel discounts - so I'm spreading the word that it's all about free groceries for me :)