Does anybody here watch HGTV?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Like rfisher, I LOATHE our black glass cooktop. Yes, I have the fancy product that requires you to clean it like you are waxing a car, but who wants to do that after every meal? But you have to, because it shows every single smudge, spill and stain, and worse, if you spill some food, it bakes onto it almost right away so that you have to really scrub and scrap to get rid of it. My husband made spaghetti last night, and while I wiped off the cooktop quickly afterward, this morning when I turned on the lights it was :scream:

But that's not even the worst part. Not sure if they are all like this, but on ours, there is a rim around the edge of the glass that is always filled with crumbs. You can clean all you want, but somehow there are always a few damn crumbs, and on the black it shows.

Plus, I much prefer gas stoves for the heat control. We inherited this stovetop when we bought this house, and now we are constantly doing a dance of sliding pots and pans around to manage the heat, especially when cooking something delicate like a sauce. But I'd even take a coiled stove over what we have now.

Good idea, but that's essentially what I do by lining up my various toiletry bags on the edge of the bathtub and back of the toilet. I guess you can see everything with the shoe bag, but it means packing an extra item and you still don't get to have everything laid out and handy while you are washing up, doing your hair or putting on makeup.

As with homes, I really don't like hotel rooms where looks have clearly taken precedence over function.

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I have a black glass cooktop. Though mine is gas http://www.abt.com/product/20625/KitchenAid-KGCC506RBL.html I Love it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I never travel without a clear over the door shoe holder. Absolutely wonderful for organizing all the small things that would just be stuck in a jumbled bag otherwise. But I don't really have much bathroom stuff, so that usually isn't what I use it for.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I prefer my glass cooktop over any cooktop I've ever had. My last stove was white with black top & now I have stainless with black top. I use the special cleaner about once a week, more than that isn't usually necessary. I think it looks great all the time. Mine has a ridge around the edge but it isn't a crumb catcher.

5. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I have a glass cooktop as well. Gas would be nice, but our neighborhood does not have a gas line at all so it's not an option. The glasstop is much better than an old-fashioned coil!

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What Jenny says, plus my mother's got scratched by the pots. If you run out of the glass cleaner and use something else, it is all filmy. And I hate electric. Soooo slow and no control.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What Jenny says, plus my mother's got scratched by the pots. If you run out of the glass cleaner and use something else, it is all filmy. And I hate electric. Soooo slow and no control.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Hmm.. what to do. My only choice is the glass top or the electric like I have now since there is no gas at my house. Guess I'll think on the pros and cons a while more since I'm waiting until the next big sale .... which is like every other week it seems. :lol:

9. KCC

KCC Active Member

Is induction more than you want to spend, or don't want to change out your cookware? I really like the concept of induction stove tops, but have not had a need to convert just yet. The few folks I know that have them really love them - more than gas.

10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

How could pans scratch the cooktop? All my pans have smooth bottoms.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

She has a couple of cast iron ones. And a set that have little rings enameled on the bottom. And when you stir when you don't have an extra hand to hold the pot, the pot goes round and round and sometimes catches an edge.

12. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Under rotating can do that. ;)

13. BaileyCatts

Yea, I didn't really want to spend that much so I haven't really been looking at those. Maybe I'll look into them some more and see if I want to spend the extra money if it will be worth it for me and how much/what I cook, which is pretty much just dinner. :lol:.

14. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

Think my favorite is the couple who renovate properties in Waco. And Property Brothers. I love HGTV mostly but am perplexed about a couple of things:
    1) They HATE ceiling fans. Yep, they're pretty ugly but are practical if you don't want to constantly use the air conditioner plus you save on electricity.
    2) How much do houses cost in Canada? All of them seem to be over $400K and many are not anything special. This is NYC area pricing!
    3) What's the deal with all the granite? There are so many other substances to use for countertops other than granite, why are they so stuck on it? I'm not impressed with marble either - it can chip pretty easily.
    4) How many bathrooms do people with 2.5 kids need? And like a few other people have said, what, kids can't share rooms anymore?
    5) "open floor plans" I don't think I would want my kitchen mess out for the world to see all the time (or myself)

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Hella expensive! However, Canadian shows do not travel all over the country like American shows. Canadian shows tend to film in the major urban areas--well, just two. Toronto and Vancouver. And both cities have really, really, really, really expensive real estate. But Montreal, to give one example, is pretty affordable, but very rarely do you see HGTV film there.

All that said, nothing makes me sadder than watching House Hunters where Hunters in some American city complain how EXPENSIVE the 4,000 square foot house they just saw was...and it was listed for something like $150,000.00.

16. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Americans find this annoying, too. ;)

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  17. BaileyCatts

That annoys me as well. :)

What I hate even worse is the people who go on the show and have like a $1,000,000 budget and just can't find anything good enough to meet their standards ..... for one million freaking dollars! I hate those people. :p

18. cruisin

I think some of that must be staged. And some of that is location. When you see people with a 1,000,000.00 budget looking for a home in Hawaii and you see how awful some of those homes are, you wonder what they are doing.

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Re: Cooktop - I have one and love it, I can clean it!
    Last week - I was using 2 burners, then only 1. My flipper got knocked onto the off burner - that was still hot. I did not notice until that lovely plastic smell.
    I let it cool down, and using the cook top cleaner and the scrapper that came with it - I was able to get all the burned plastic off the burner. Took maybe 5 minutes.
    I was impressed, and relieved as I was assuming if I could not get it clean, I would never use the burner again.

20. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

No experience with glass cook tops but just a question. My aunt has one that is a sort of mottled grey, (faux granite?). It would seem to me that that colour and pattern would not show up the mess or scratches as easily or am I out to lunch?

I was looking into these ovens 3 years ago. I have an ancient stove that I almost had to replace until I found a really great and reasonably priced GALMI (get a little man in). It is a dreaded coil electric with burners that no longer seem to be able to be completely level but since I am on a relatively small income I probably won't replace it until I really have to. For all its sins it has a great self-cleaning oven that has little to no heat leakage. Perfect for a hot day when I make pizza and immediately shut the house because I am taking it to my aunt for dinner.

21. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I decided not to ever use the self-cleaner for my oven because I hate the way the last one worked. I have a washable liner on the bottom so hopefully it will stay clean for a long time & I wipe up spills immediately. The self-cleaner turns spills into ash but I could never get all the ash off without having to use oven cleaner anyway.

22. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I feel lucky. I use the self cleaning, and then after it has cooled off, I just wipe up the ash with a west paper towel - nothing remains in oven. I have not owned any oven cleaner in a few years.
    But I may buy some - our townhouse had a window cleaner for the outside -and in chatting with him - he said oven cleaner is great for cleaning any rust off window/screen frames.

23. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Actually, on self-cleaning ovens where some residue is still left particularly around the door, after it cools, I have found a paste made with baking soda cleans it up pretty well. Baking soda make a pretty good cleanser, totally non-toxic.

24. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

I am addicted to HGTV too, but sometimes get annoyed with the drama and I just want to see the finished product! I've also heard that couples aren't accepted on House Hunters unless they are already in the process of closing on a house. Also, that they film both endings on Love It or List It, and the producers choose which one they want to use.

The new competition show, Flipping the Block, just started tonight. It should be interesting, but wow, the condos they gave them to renovate are DUMPS! I also can't believe they have to renovate a whole condo with only $37,500. That amount of money doesn't go too far on other renovation shows, and they have to re-do the whole space of these condos - 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and living room.

25. cruisin

I use baking soda and peroxide to clean my glass cooktop. It works like a charm!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  26. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Late to the party here, but I have a love/hate relationship with HGTV. I dislike much of the fake drama but love seeing the before and afters of the reno/flip shows.
    And, just this weekend, on a lazy rainy day, I discovered Rehab Addict, with Nicole Curtis, and I fell in love with her immediately!! I love that she "restores and reuses", rather than just rip out all the existing charm and character.
    I really don't understand people who buy an old house, and then rip all the old stuff out and replace it with shiny new modern stuff. Why not just buy a shiny new modern house then? I like houses to be slightly shabby and comfortable, not a fan of sleek and sterile.

27. cruisin

Watched a Love it or List it, yesterday. It was ridiculous. This young, married couple lived in a house with a master bedroom, a tiny (walk-in closet sized) guest room. 1 small bathroom upstairs and a laundry room/bathroom in the basement. They were renovating, of course everything went wrong with the reno and they couldn't do anything in the basement. They did a lovely job fixing up the upstairs. However, they were shown a lovely home with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. And they had to think about it? Do they not consider they might have kids, in the future? What's to think about. they did list it, but…really?

28. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I hate Love It or List It. The man (David?) is so arrogant & stupid. His 1st showing is always over-priced, in the wrong neighborhood, & doesn't ever match the wish list. And then he acts offended when the couple doesn't jump at it. The woman is just as bad. I would not have someone in my home who talked to me like she sometimes talks to the couple. (Although I love her finished product.)

The couple is usually worse than both of them put together - I need a new roof, furnace, complete re-wiring, asbestos abatement, termite removal, whatever & you are going to take the cost out of my reno budget? You are sooooo mean! You're supposed to do all that AND complete my wish list of 367 items.

29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Yes what dumps. And the budget is low. They did get flooring and furnishings which is not part of the budget - advertising for providers. I am wondering as they do other rooms they may get other 'freebies - like Kohler fixtures etc. which should help.
    I know on Brother vs Brother and Design Star - people go in after to fix/finish things the competitors did not do - so I hope the same for this show. They had good ideas - but some of the execution??? The way the rooms looked last night - I would not buy, unless a very very good deal.

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

On Love it or List it, never understand why the money to fix the leaking roof or replace the broken furnace comes out of Hilary's budget or why she never gets a home inspection before starting repairs.