Does anybody here watch HGTV?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

You should get a dog. You can save tons of money by bathing it there instead of taking it to PetCo to be groomed :)

I told the realtor I wanted a shower big enough to hold a party in. I didn't quite get that, but I think I could have a small get together. Not that I would.
    Sadly, I have only one shower head. I can't fathom why the builder put this in without multiple shower heads.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

You bet! They also use computers and many are very financially savvy with their investments. Many have generators. They just can't be hooked up to the "grid."

3. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Speaking of multiple shower heads, I've seen twice now on House Hunters couples looking at homes, and both times the wife was exclaiming, "Why are there two shower heads?? What is that for?"

Um...:shuffle:

4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I love Home Depot for a lot of things but I've found that Lowe's has a better selection for ceiling fans. Locally that is.

My husband wants to redo our small hall bathroom & rip out the tub in there & put in a shower. This bath serves 2 bedrooms plus our guests & it needs a new footprint to make it less claustrophobic. I'm afraid that would affect resale value. But the master bath does have a tub so...opinions please.

5. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I really wanted a huge soaker tub in the master suite when we were looking to buy, but that was something I gave up for the house we got. The main bath and the downstairs bath both have deep tubs so I can get my soaks in; the master bath has a huge walk-in tiled shower with a rainfall showerhead. There are two 'jets' on the front wall but they hit me right about my shoulders -- husband loves them. I wouldn't mind getting one of those wall-mounted units that has the hand shower as well -- those are so handy for cleaning!

6. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I have Maple Countertops in my kitchen. I love them. We've had them for two years and they are looking a little scuffed, but I like the wear on them.

Right now we are looking at restoring our bathroom (yes, we have 1 bathroom for a 4 person family, House Hunters buyers would be appalled) and I am having the hardest time finding a corner apron tub. I have seen some at the Rebuilding Center here in Portland, but the curve is never on the correct corner. Its a 1922 bathroom and I 'm pretty sure it didn't have a clawfoot, but I guess I can go that route if I have to. Nobody makes the tub that was original to our house anymore.

I read recently that there was an episode of HH where the producers actually switched out the couple. Doesn't get faker than that!

7. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

Do what you want, don't worry about something like that affecting resale. I can't imagine a little thing like that is going to scare away a buyer. Maybe if they had small kids they would want a tub, but the kids could take a bath in the master until they are old enough to shower.

8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I second what ilovesalchows said. We redid our master. We have a main bath on the second floor, as well. Both have had tubs. The main bath has a regular tub. The master had a jetted tub. We NEVER used it. So, we turned the entire tub/shower area into a huge walk in shower with no doors. And I put in a sit down vanity. FAR more useful. We left the plumbing hook ups, in case a buyer would want a tub. However, I cannot imagine anyone would prefer that over what we did. Our bathroom is like a spa. Minus the useless jetted tub. And since there is still a tub in the other bath, children can be taken care of.

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I only have one bathroom (756 sq ft condo), but I would love to ditch the bathtub, but have been told not to. But I would put in a kick ass shower.

decisions, decisions.

10. KCC

KCC Active Member

The only thing that the big, separate soaking tub in the master bath is used for is an extra laundry basket. I ditch my dirty clothes and towels in there before taking them to the laundry room. DH does not like it when I have several days worth of clothes gathering there, though.

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have a 1 bed/1 bath too and I never take a bath, but given the heatwave I'm in, I am glad I still have a tub. My feet get so hot, especially at night. I can fill the tub a quarter of the way with cold water and wade my feet in it.

My UO is balconies. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't care. It's been *so* long since I've even been on mine. But I know it's an important feature for most condo buyers.

My condo is also relatively new (2007 build), so I haven't done in the way of renovations. But, man, I would love an undermount kitchen sink. I slice bread all the time, so it would make cleaning bread crumbs so much easier.

HGTV also loves double sinks, man caves, open floor plans, walk-in closets, and crown moulding (which I *totally* do not get). HGTV hates gold features, small bedrooms (do children these days never share a bedroom with their siblings?), neighbours (they can watch me get the newspaper!), and carpet (I like carpet in my bedroom).

12. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I hate crown molding too! And think carpet in bedrooms is nicer than wood floors -- at least in places where in gets cold. I also find it funny when people with small kids want wood floors everywhere; do their kids not thunder through the house, and trip and fall?

13. Skittl1321

I am happy my house has carpet. I am not a fan of wood floors.

My realtor had a thing about being close to neighbors. He would always point out how we could see the neighbors from our deck. Um, yeah, we are looking in neighborhoods! The lot is still 1/3 acre, and our windows don't open up into theirs, so I'm good. I later found out he sells a bunch of rural properties, so that made a bit more sense.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Never really got that one either - assuming it's about two people being able to use the bathroom at once, I think surface area is far more important. If my husband and I are both getting ready at the same time, I'd rather have space to spread out my makeup with him at the sink far away so he doesn't splash my brushes :)

Big pet peeve is hotels with little counter space, since I usually have a pile of stuff that at home would be stowed away. On a recent vacation one hotel had two freestanding sinks (so I guess HGTV would be happy) and only measly little glass shelf for a glass and toothpaste - I had to pile all my cleansers etc on the back of the toilet and edge of the tub.

Sounds heavenly!

15. cruisin

I have a double (undercount) sink in my kitchen, large bowl with a smaller side bowl. I like it, because I can leave the sponge in the small bowl and it doesn't stay wet and get nasty. I have double sinks in both upstairs bathrooms. It is nice when two people are getting ready. We did have carpet in the family room and the upstairs bedrooms. When the kids were in high school, we tore up the carpet and put in hardwood. Much easier to keep clean. The only carpet we have now, are area rugs and a runner on the stairs. I like crown molding. We have some brass bathroom and light fixtures, it was in style in the 80's when we bought the house. The new bathroom has brushed nickel, warmer and less shiny than chrome. We are going to redo the main bath, at some point. It has porcelain sinks and formica counters. The house is 28 years old and, from water getting under the edge of the sinks, there is rust seeping out onto the counters. But, we are not in as much of a rush with that bathroom. Had to do the master. We had a leak in the floor of the shower and we were getting these little moth-like bugs. When they pulled up the floor tile, the sub floor was full of mold and these little bugs. Interestingly, my allergies went away after the reno.

Thanks Jenny, I do love it! The nice thing is we didn't need a designer. I did it. I measured out the original bathroom and put the floor plan on my computer. Then I designed what I wanted. I knew to leave the toilet where it was. It is a lot of work to move toilet plumbing. I am a graphic artist, so I knew what I was doing. They presented my drawings to the township. so, we didn't have to pay anyone for that.

16. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

HH really loves their staged scene of the poor couple getting ready at the same time and knocking in to each other while they both try to brush their teeth. :lol:

17. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

We pulled out all the carpet in the house except for the bedrooms but I wish we had put hardwood in the room we're using as an office. I do like getting out of bed onto a carpet instead of the cold floor but a rug would do the same thing. So if we do anymore renos we will probably go hardwood throughout. I used to have porcelain tiles in the kitchen but we ended up removing it & putting the same hardwood in. It really does make the area look bigger to have the same flooring.

Last year we removed all the brass doorknobs & hardware throughout the house. That was a big expense but the house looks so much more modern. There is still some brass on the fireplace surround & on some of the ceiling fans that we haven't done yet. We have 12' ceilings so getting the fans changed up is going to be a bitch. We want to put up crown molding so when we do that we'll have the fans taken down at the same time.

18. Skittl1321

My husband and I used to like to do that when we'd get ready at the same time in our tiny bathroom; it was never a problem.

What is funny though, is he always seems to be in the way in our kitchen. And we have like 15 feet of counter top space, a real good work triangle, and plenty of floor space. I think it is just like being one of two skaters on a rink- you're magnets and will attract to each other.

19. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Another, less frequent, complaint I'll hear a home buyer make is not liking a 2nd floor because little Jimmy/Jenny could fall down the stairs. This must be a regional thing because where I live, one floor ranch houses are very rare. That's what baby gates are for. To dismiss an otherwise beautiful house because your child happens to be a toddler TODAY is silly IMO.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  20. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Yep. When we did our bathroom we went with one sink and more storage space instead -- we brush our teeth for 5 minutes a day, sometimes simultaneously (the HORROR) but we have so much closed storage that we don't have to keep anything on the counter except the toothbrush holder and soap.

21. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Our master bath has an 8 foot counter with sinks at either end. Eight feet is not a standard size so when we replaced it, it cost a lot. But the middle section has drawers between the sink & lots of counter space. (Which usually ends up being cluttered.)

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

HGTV addict here. I love House Hunters International, Property Brothers, Income Property, the cheap beachfront show, and I liked Property Virgins, but haven't seen it in a while. I watch Hillary/David, but they annoy me. I am sorry Holmes on Homes moved to the other channel because I liked him. I like the real estate shows a lot, the remodeling shows next best, and the decorating shows the least (I hate accent walls, wallpaper, starburst mirrors, ottoman coffee tables with a tray top, and art home-made especially to match your sofa).

ITA, especially dark granite -- too much maintenance to keep it from looking filmy. I loved Uba Tuba until I got it. Hate it. We are in the process of remodeling the retirement house, and I have picked out quartz. And I loathe my mother's glass cooktop - we have gas and will keep gas. I will have upper cabinets (we are tall), but for lowers -- I saw a great article in Fine Homebuilding that says anywhere you'd put a door, put a big drawer. Boy do they have that right -- So tired of stuff sliding off the back of the pull outs.

I have had stainless, black, white - it doesn't matter much to me, but my husband strongly prefers stainless and we are planning on an industrial gas stove so I am fine with that. No microwave over the stove either - I have a range hood extractor over the stove. My smoke alarm goes off much less.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Accent walls are out. Brass is coming back. :yikes: ITA about the kitchen drawers. My kitchen plans have no uppers, open shelves along one wall (2 48" shelves) and 2 armoires and a custom designed island. In fact the only cabinets are a 36" lower corner cabinet and the sink cabinet. The island incorporates an existing TV cabinet (with drawers and glass shelves) and an existing very old piece of butcher block I had made into a cabinet years ago. I'm uniting the pieces with paint and matching butcher block over the cabinet. Using the 2 armoires and incorporating the existing pieces of furniture into the island saved $$$$$$ and time. I also have a 1940s zinc topped kitchen table that will be incorporated into the counter space. I like repurposing things. You just have to be creative.

If you read industry projections, granite is losing popularity to quartz and butcher block is the next big thing as long as it's not around your sink. It's great for islands.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My husband (a chef and woodworker) made a big thick butcher block for the part of the kitchen counter between the stove and fridge -- so he can turn it over or replace if it gets worn/icky. We will have three sides to the kitchen (one a peninsula) with an island in the middle. I do like open floor plan for sports entertaining so the open/island side of the kitchen opens to the TV room, and the peninsula will have a two-sided cabinet with glass doors above it with the dining room on the other side. So we can sit at the kitchen island and watch TV, but if we are having a sit down dinner party, the guests can't see us cooking, but some light comes through. Best of both worlds - the guests can see us making nachos and chicken wings, but not plating the formal dinners.

25. cruisin

Butcher block is beautiful but not as hygienic as granite and quartz.

26. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Sssooo why do y'all hate the glass top stoves? I'm getting all new appliances (black, hate stainless :p) and was going to get the glass top because I hate cleaning out the cumbs and the coil burners on mine (has to be electric stovetop, no gas at my house). What's wrong with the glass top?

27. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Thanks! I'll take a look at Lowe's. :)

A tip I read on a Disney board was that people bring with them those hanging shoe organizers to hold their various bathroom items that won't fit on the sink. I haven't tried it, but it seems to be an interesting solution.

28. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

The Amish who live near my hometown don't own power tools but will use the owner's power tools when working on a house. They don't have phones or cars but can be contacted at a specific phone number where somebody will take a message and deliver it to them. My sister made arrangements to pick them up and drive them to the rental property. She took them out to lunch each day and took them home at the end of the day. There were several days when they couldn't work because they were helping their Amish neighbors thresh oats. One told my sister that, if they didn't help their neighbors, their neighbors wouldn't help them.

29. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I've never used gas because I've never lived anywhere with gas and I really love how easy glass stove tops are to clean. You need the right products but it's super easy. My mom has an induction cook top and it's fabulous, though it does take a little getting used to.

30. KCC

KCC Active Member

I have a glass-top electric stove, and agree that it very easy to keep clean (with the right products, and one bottle seems to last me 2-3 years). The thing that I don't like about it is that my pots/skillets move and spin if I stir the contents without using my other hand to hold the them still. I wish there was a little better grip between the pot and the burner.

Induction really intrigues me, and I would be sorely tempted to go that route if I ever do a major kitchen upgrade. And I would love to somehow include a refrigerated salad & sandwich bar. Kind of like the system that they use at a Subway sandwich shop, just on a smaller scale. I would definitely eat fresher if it was always visible (behind a glass door or something) and easy to access.