Does anybody here watch HGTV?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Some people have said the houses they "considered" weren't even for sale. House Hunters is pretty fake.

2. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with having them, they are nice - but just that some folks act like it is wrong if they are not there. I do wonder with stainless - if people think they are 'better' appliances since restaurant kitchens have them. In my new construction townhouse - I got black appliances - the same models with stainless cost $900 more and it did not match my cabinets. That is one reason I do not get when people pick the stainless, I guess it is my aesthetic - but I do not think stainless matches some cabinets very well. One of my friends had white cabinets with light blue walls and the stainless look so pretty. My cabinets are called a maple stain, yellowish with brown hint, seem very 'natural' and the look of stainless did not look right to me.

I also heard sometimes the hunters actually already own the home, but have vacated it for a major renovation. That is when one of the choices is a house in the middle of major remodeling.
    I do not mind those kind of things, can you imagine if people got on the show and never bought a house - too many would want to be on tv.

Just watched an international one where the couple have a toddler and they are concerned with him adjusting to a foreign country. I think little ones adapt fine if the parents make them feel secure.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I've heard iffy things about House Hunters, myself. I've heard they even when they decide on a house, they are not necessarily committed to it. I don't care, though. I enjoy seeing the houses. Some, because they are train wrecks. Some because they are gorgeous and give me ideas. One thing about The Property Brothers show that, often, bothers me: they renovate the main living areas and other parts of the home (which were vile) they don't address. Sorry, this germophobe could never live like that.

4. cruisin

Totally agree. Stainless is "in" right now. But it is very hard to keep clean. We had to replace appliances a few years ago, we also went with black. Yes, the fridge does show finger prints. And yes, you have to be careful with what you use to clean it (scuff marks). But, I have a black glass cook top - gas! I would not trade it for anything! And my kitchen is Tuscan style, black works.

5. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Are there really people that think they are watching it in real time? Of course the house is already selected. Otherwise the crew would have to film for weeks or months with one couple. Even knowing the obvious, I like watching people look at houses and guess which one they selected.

I agree with those that aren't on the stainless steel appliances and granite countertops bandwagon. It's so tedious. Everything goes in cycles, so those things will be out of fashion eventually. Hardwood floors, however, I will always prefer over rug.

6. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I watch it, too, whenever I'm in the states. And I don't really think that the shows are "for real". Love it or list it, for example, is making it pretty obvious that they're creating conflict with the way the show is set up (the "unexpected troubles" she encounters when doing the renovation, or he, when he finds houses that aren't in the area the couple wants or whatever). Also, the show's dialogue's are cut together in a way that sometimes don't make much sense and the people wanting the house end up choosing one that doesn't make sense with what they said before. But like cruisin, I like to see the houses or, when renovation is done, I like to see the end product.

I have to admit, I also like the shows in which they bake cakes because I find it amazing what they can do with edible decorations!

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I know the shows are fake, I just looking at the houses and seeing how the renovations turned out.

8. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Oh, that drives me INSANE. I have to go to bed worrying about the fake wood paneling, plaid drapes, and shag carpeting that lurks around the corner. At least shave enough off the main house budget to put down some decent berber and new paint. Same for that stupid Hillary/David show. They never get everthing fixed, and it leaves me very agitated and worried about the ugly house parts. Bad for OCD.

HGTV was of course moved to the next tier of my cable programming. I have to content myself with the odd Flipping Connecticut episode on A&E. My man is the big nosed Esajian brother.

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think stainless and granite are like having a pool. You think you really want it until you get it and then you realize it's more trouble than it's worth. I have granite (put it in to increase the resale value of the house), but will go with quartz when I build my retirement house. I don't want the maintenance of granite. As for stainless vs black, I'm ambivalent. I've had both. Stainless isn't more expensive any longer because of its popularity. I just live with the smudges. What I will NEVER have again is a glass topped stove. Never. Ever. I hate it with the passion of a 1000 fiery suns. I will have gas or nothing. And no upper cabinets or microwave over the stove. Ever. Hate them both.

10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

what drives me crazy is when ( on Love it or Leave it) Hilary cannot fulfill everything on the owners must have list and the owners still decide to stay. Owner carries on for half the show that she can't stay with only one bathroom for family of 5 but then changes her mind when she sees how nice her new kitchen looks.

11. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I was about to say the same. What about the parts of the house they never show in the reveal? The completed house is very pretty but it is rarely as nice or big or has as much curb appeal as the dream house. One thing I really like about Fixer Upper is that they reno the outside as well as the inside.

I got really tired of my white appliance. I don't think I'd mind black but have never had it. I did recently replace all the white with stainless & I love it. I find it much easier to clean. I have a black cook top but it's electric. This neighborhood doesn't have gas. We replaced our counters with limestone which is a real pain but very pretty.

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

On TWOP people said they filmed both endings and HGTV decides which to use

13. cruisin

I think it depends on the granite. I was against it when we replaced the countertops. I wanted quartz. We have a granite countertop in the powder room and it gets (temporarily) dark when water sits on it. But, I was talked into granite for the kitchen. The color and the finish on it shows nothing. There is no maintenance on it what so ever. I have a black cooktop, but it is gas. It is much easier to clean than enamel. You gan really scrub it and not scratch it. I do agree about the over the cooktop microwave. It is so hard to keep clean. The grease and steam from cooking leave a residue on it. And you can't scrub too hard or you leave those swirly scuff marks.

I know, I want to reach into the TV and shake some sense into them. Who cares about a fabulous kitchen when 6 people are still using 1 bathroom?

14. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

And it is almost entirely scripted.

15. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

That's interesting. I don't watch this show as regularly as some of the others, but it seems like they almost always decide to stay.

I guess now that should be "decide" in quotes.

16. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

As far as HGTV's obsession with granite, stainless appliances, and hardwood floors, I say "follow the money honey" to discover who is really banging the drum for these items... Much of it is a case of advertiser's planting the seed in people's mind, that these items are indeed the holy grail of the dream home interiors, so it then becomes the standard after hearing it repeated again and again. People assimilate the message and then believe they do actually want these things in order to keep up with their peer's...That is how advertising works. Me I prefer my timeless black appliances, new easy upkeep quartz countertops, and aspire to the the newer easy care floors, that can simply be vacuumed or damp mopped. My gorgeous old hardwood 15 x 24 foot living room original oak plank floor, requires special cleaner/stripper, then paste wax, a floor polisher and much, much work on hands, a knees to keep it looking good, and it is very tough to find the actual upkeep products to buy anymore. So, do people really want vintage hardwood, or should they prefer the more ecological, modern and easy care flooring options? I would replace my vintage oak with the new sealed type of hardwoods, or even an engineered product, or a laminate in a heart beat, if I could replicate the look of the nails and tongue and groove character planks. Be careful what you wish for... Modern style is often quite dated is 7-10 years, so I prefer a more timeless, classic style in a home's built-in's, esp., for people on a budget that can't afford to renovate every few years.

I always laugh a bit at people who get caught up in the décor of the home they are considering, since it ain't the furnishing's, it is only the quality of the home's bone's, actual room size, flow and it's location that is important, and what you can't see ex. wiring, plumbing, mould behind walls, or whether the big ticket items like roof, and windows, doors, appliances are in good nick - the stuff that can't be changed easily, or at all, or without pouring a lot of money into a structural reno. Cosmetics can wait till budget is there for most part, and unless the buyers are truly lazy, or inept or completely broke at time of purchase, cosmetics like paint colors can be changed quickly, and sometimes a good cleaning, repair and uncluttering will completely renew and refresh a home! Sometimes an older appliance will actually work better than a new shiny big box stainless one. Anyone can live for a couple of years with countertops, or cabinet's, appliances in a color or style they are not deeply in love with, till they do have the money to either reface, replace, or gut to get the look or function of what they do really want. Location and function is the priority, not form, or style for 1st time, or entry level buyers. Problem is these days people want everything to look perfect, right away and at their ideal price point! Unless one has priceless, or sentimental heirlooms, one should not pass on a house/condo just because your current $300.00 big box dining set won't work in the new $300,000.00 dining space! I say sell the set and buy something that will fit, problem solved! People need to imagine more in terms of what their own stuff, and stamp on a place will look like, not what is in there at the time they are touring it, as that will all likely be gone when they move in! Also what is the current obsession with open plan living? To me it is code for small and cheaply built interiors, and insists on the occupant being a neat freak to make it actually work. Supposedly young families want open plan so they can keep an eye on the kids... But what new mom has the time or energy to keep open plan spaces spotless and clutter free? Bottom line - what the home buyer's bring in to the spaces in terms of effort, furnishings, money, as well as own lifestyle will ultimately determine if a house/condo "works" for them or not. Still HGTV is my fav guilty pleasure...

17. rfisher

All that is true, but any realtor will tell you empty houses where you can see the bones, flow, etc,., do not sell as quickly as well staged house. People do make decisions based on the décor. Which is why you should neutralize the paint color, clean the house (hire professionals to clean the windows), and stage it if you want to sell quickly and get a top price. I need to replace the carpet in my house, but I'm waiting until the house goes on sale. I'll recoup the cost and more by having new neutral carpet and current neutral paint.

18. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I hadn't realize granite was hard to clean? I rarely even wipe my counter tops down.

Of course, I rarely use the kitchen, so.....

:shuffle:

19. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I like the back yard renovations the best right now. But what irritates me is a half hour show is really only fifteen minutes because they have to recap everything repeatedly. I do sort of wonder where people get all this money to renovate everything. Of course, maybe they just go deeper into debt.

20. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I am always dumbfounded by the people moving to another country, who state they want to explore another culture, but who then complain when the potential home isn't exactly like what they left in their prior home. If I'm moving to Italy, I know I'm probably not going to have all the tons of room, but I'd give it up in a heartbeat to be in one of those lovely old homes.

21. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Re microwaves, I have a walk-in pantry & a few years ago we paid an electrician to put an outlet in so we could put the microwave in there. It's right inside the door & it's so convenient. That's one of the best reno ideas we ever had.

22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Regarding Property Brothers and them only redoing maybe 2 rooms and wondering about the rest of the wreck of a house. I could swear I read an interview that Jonathan gave and he said the crews actually do the whole house, not just the two rooms you see on TV. Couldn't find the article again if you promised me a million bucks, but I remember reading that somewhere, because that also bothered me that they got this great kitchen and living area, but the rest of the house is a dump and I always wondered how they could live like that when the rest of the house was a total wreck, had non-working bathrooms, etc. It was something along the lines of its the owners real money, so the crews do fix the entire house, you just don't see it on the show. They put the bulk of the money into the 2-3 areas the owner specifically wants done (living area vs. kitchen vs. master bed/bath vs. secondary bedrooms/baths, vs. office space, etc.). But that they did fix/finish the entire house floors, bathrooms, bedrooms, paint, electrical, plumbing, etc., so the owners aren't left with a half-livable house. They do get some perks from the show, like some of the furniture might be free, and they get great deals on supplies, flooring, appliances, and labor (of course), but they work the owners real budget/real money for the entire house. The 5-6 week timelines are usually just for the 2-3 rooms you see on the show, and they have 2-3 crews working almost round the clock to meet those deadlines, but it actually takes them about 4-6 months to complete the entire process with the owners since they still have to deal with permits, inspections, and other things that delay construction.

Take it as you will, but that's what I remember reading. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  23. cruisin

If they do the rest of the house, it must be minimal or they don't charge the families for it. When they quote 90K for the renovations, I wonder how they can possibly do that level of renovation for that much money. It can cost 30-40K just for a kitchen, without high end appliances. Bathrooms can cost 20-30K, especially if plumbing is being moved. Add to that the flooring, furniture, drapes, etc.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The secret to success for House Hunters and House Hunters International IMO is that there is a payoff at the end. I used to watch some British imports such as Fantasy Homes by the Sea and another one about moving to the country, and nearly all of them ended with "they decided to keep looking." :yawn: Plus half the fun is trying to guess which one they will pick.

It may be scripted - and certainly there are some people who are much better actors than others - but it's fun to see anyway. There's a similar show, Hawaii Life I think, where there is often reference to other places they've seen, so I'm guessing they do see many properties but pick three to show on tv. There's also another show I don't think anyone has mentioned about buying an island - the agent is usually a Canadian guy so maybe it's only on Canadian HGTV? That one pays off too.

I generally don't do reno or decorating shows as I'm almost always disappointed in the results :p

I loathe the granite counters that came with my house, and ditto the glass topped stove. Both are impossible to keep clean, and IMO entirely ugly. Stainless steel appliances are OK, but you do have to stay on it because while they may be stainless, they certainly do pick up every smudge and fingerprint. Counting the minutes to my kitchen reno .....

25. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My thought is that they comp all or part of the labor. So the costs are all or mostly in the materials.

26. cruisin

I love my granite countertop. It is creams, greys, black, with terra cotta veining (I have a terra cotta floor). It has a highly polished finish and I can cut on it without scratching it. I wipe it with a soapy sponge and occasionally Windex. That's it. My old countertop was laminate with a wood bullnose - HATED IT! You could see the seams after a while, the finish on the wood bullnose wore off after multiple scrubbings. This granite is basically maintenance free. But, like I said, the quality and finish on the one in my bathroom is not as good. So, I really do think it is the color, the porosity, and the way the countertop maker finishes the surface.

27. cruisin

That is possible (probable). Though they imply that labor costs are part of the family cost, when there is a problem which needs fixing. They don't come right out and say it, however.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Vendors and contractors participate in these shows to increase their own business.

29. KCC

KCC Active Member

Just curious, why do folks consider granite countertops impossible to keep clean? I sponge mine off daily (after making dinner) and shine the whole kitchen using vinegar on paper towels weekly. The previous owners left us a half bottle of granite sealer, and I think I spritzed the counters once or twice in 4 years, but did not see a need to continue. Granite's heat resistance, durability, and beading/non-staining surface make it a winner for me. My biggest complaint is that it is sometimes hard to see crumbs due to the rock patterns. Am I missing something?

30. rfisher

It's not the cleaning with granite, it's the sealing and finish. Those of you using windex are destroying your seal and will need to have it resealed sooner. You really should use only plain water. Dishsoap isn't even recommended. Did none of you actually read the instructions that came with your granite? :lol: That non-staining quality is suddenly going to be gone and you will have to have it resealed or even repolished. Different granite finishes have different amount of time before they require resealing, but when the finish is gone, it's gone and will have to be professionally resealed. Granite isn't as high maintenance as marble, but it's close.