Does Alissa Czisny need a new choreographer?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Dec 9, 2011.

New choreo for Alissa?

1. Yes, new please

70 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Naw, keep it the same

49 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Watching the SP from GPF, it is the most blah, empty thing I've seen in a long time. Who choreo'd that? The FS last year was pretty good but in general I think she needs to get more creative with it...

2. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Interesting that you should say that. I was so impressed with Camerlengo's choreography for her LP last year. IMO, the problem is that there's not enough tension in either of her programs this year and the choreography is reflective of that.

I'm on the fence right now. There's too much other choreography that he has done that I like

3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of her programs this year at all. I loved her LP from last season, but the programs she has this season just never build.

4. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Morozov?
    I always wondered how she'd look blond.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:rofl:

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

She is lovely, but her programs are so bland. She must get them from the V/M choreography catalog... :blah:

Tak and (deleted member) like this.
  7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

She needs to have a good jumping technique. But now, I guess it's too late.
    She is so beautiful, I hope she'll have good days when it'll count the most. :)

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

She just needs to lose the tinkly-soft themes and music. True champs need oomph, not tinkly. She's so boring because she's always trying to be the pweety ballerini.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes ! I remember this very good SP to Jesse Cook's music in 2005-2006 !

10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:

11. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

I can't tell you a thing about Alissa's programs because they make me fall asleep halfway through.

12. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I love Alissa's style and classic elegance, but the pretty, soft programs do get a bit stale. It would be great to see something new from her next season.

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm tired of Alissa always picking slow and pretty music for the SP. I don't think footwork done to slow music should get the same component scores as those done to fast music, since it's easier to do slow footwork to match the slow music.

Last year's LP was refreshing. This year's programs not so much.

14. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Great, let's kill variety even more. No slow music choices allowed! :soapbox:

15. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

The real problem, IMO, is not the music, but the fact that there's nothing in between the elements. That, plus all of the jumps are awkward, tentative, small, and poorly landed -- all of which slow down the program even more.

Alissa is an elegant skater, but the overall effect of her skating is, to me, quite juniorish even though she has been a senior for, what, ten-plus years now?

16. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I love the choreography of Alissa's SP. It's my favorite SP of the season....Along with Carolina's.

It's the LP that could use a bit more CH and TR's.

17. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Almost every single program she's ever skated has looked alike to me. Granted, all skaters have a style, but hers seems really overwhelming.

But I think the emptiness in her programs this season has more to do with her technical issues and attempting to cement her improved solidity from last season. Parts of Adam's programs are pretty bare/front-loaded, and even Jeremy's long program, which is very ambitious, is more about doing simple things really well than extremely complicated difficulty. I think the relative emptiness of the program is a strategic choice by Yuka and Jason, and I honestly think it's the right choice. As dull and bare-bones as the programs (especially LP) may be, they're really good competitive vehicles for her, and that's what she needs right now.

I think if she skated to dramatik, fast music and tried to be something that she is very obviously not, she'd come across even worse and probably go back to falling on her ass left and right.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

You have a point there. The soft music - pretty princess stufff- works for Alissa, but it does get boring over time, for the viewer. IMO she is still working on her confidence, jumpwise. May be if she feels really confident in that area, she could try something a little different, but not radically different because it's just not her.

I don't think she needs a new choreographer. It may be just a matter of time before she gains enough confidence to add a little drama to her programs. I have to admit I was bored even last year with her LP.

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think Alissa's short program this year is lovely as well as her long program last year which I thought expressed the music very well. However, her long program this year seems really empty and the music, although a great piece on its own, I don't think works well for Alissa. It just seems to drag.

20. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

How ironic. I had just watched her short in the GPF a short while ago and thought "hmmm, this program is much more connected to the music than I had imagined. I wonder if the judges notice how she is actually dancing to the music, even when she's spinning?" And then I come upon this poll. Oh well. I loved last year's sp, but thought this one was empty... until tonight when I saw it again on the GPF... and was so fascinated by the way she was catching the phrases of the music that I replayed it several times. Go figure! :lol:

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

YES. Her programs this year are a joke. They're completely empty. Honestly, she deserves 3s for transitions.

22. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Out of curiosity, do you think she could genuinely do programs with tonnes of transitions and maintain a degree of jumping consistency? Frankly, I don't.

Love the short, don't care for the long.

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Nope. Which is why skaters with difficult programs and the jumps should be rewarded...

24. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Haha, I love how the poll is 50/50 right now :p

25. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I agree. But my question to you is more along the lines of "Is there a choreographer who you believe would come up with more interesting programs that Czisny could still skate effectively? If not, is it really fair to blame the choreography for her weaknesses?"

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I guess not, but why is she getting 7.29 for TR when she has none? I guess it's more of a problem in the judging system.

(not to pick on Alissa. There are a lot of skaters who do this)

27. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Why was Plushenko outscoring Buttle and Savoie in Turin on transitions? Etc etc. As you said, that's a judging system problem.

28. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I don't get all the Czisny love. One tiny improvement and everyone gives her these huge praises, like she's very fragile and has very low self esteem. She looks like she's scared to death when she skates, very tentative and slow. I don't know why her PCS are so high.

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This year she seems to be even more focused on the jumps and sadly, at even more expense to her choreography and expression. On one hand, I can't blame her for wanting to fix a fundamental weakness as a matter of priority - because we all know she will medal as long as she lands her jumps, but she is quickly losing her appeal as a skater. (As a spinner she is still the best of course)

The short program at least shows off her elegant quality, but the long program is a huge bore, and even the music edit is - the first minute and a half has nothing going on.

30. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Yes. I would love to see her try something new. Everything seems the same, every time.