Doctor Who, season 7

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

New thread for a new season. And "Doctor Who" really is "Doctor Who" now. :D

Aside from the fact that I could live very happily thank you very much without ever seeing another Dalek (or Cyberman) episode ... I enjoyed the season opener very much. Great start, and I'm sure it was full of season arc clues we don't know are clues yet.

It's hard to tell if I'm going to like Oswin though, esp. since she may end up being very different once she comes on board for real. (I didn't like Donna very much in "The Runaway Bride," but loved her in her "permanent" companion status in season 4.)

And how can you not love the concept of the next episode, "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship." :lol:

2. Artemis@BC

Probably easier to keep under wraps when she spent the whole episode inside a Dalek. :lol:

Seriously, though, the fact that it was all on-set scenes would have helped. And of course Who crew are used to having to keep things under wraps, they frequently film things weeks or months before they're aired.

But still, very impressive bit of secret-keeping.

3. znachki

znachki Active Member

The character name of the new companion is supposedly Clara - so the internets are rife with speculation on how that's going to play out.

I can just imagine the writers trying to come up with a title, and saying - really, once the Doctor says that line, how could you call it anything else?

4. Artemis@BC

Hmm. I assumed it would be a different "Character" rather than Oswin since it's an unwritten rule that the companion has to be an Earthling from our own timeline. But I also assumed that it would be a very similar small-c "character" as Oswin. But I've gotten myself into trouble by assuming before ...

I'm sure whatever they come up with will make perfect sense in a time-wimey kind of way ... :D

5. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I enjoyed it--not a Dalek fan at all, but a fun episode. I was hoping Oswin would be the new companion after the Ponds leave, but seeing as how she was a fully converted Dalek on an exploding planet, I doubt it will be her. Maybe they're just continuing the tradition of having the actress play a different character before she becomes a full-fledged companion to the Doctor.
    Also, wasn't Romana (companion to Tom Baker) a Time Lord(ress)? I know they always do humans from the current timeline but it would be fun to shake things up.

6. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I think it would be kind of awesome if the Doctor's companion was a Dalek! Not like it would happen...

7. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Old Who had bunches of non contemporary Earthling companions. Romana, Turlough, and Adric weren't Earthlings or humans (maybe Turlough was human but he definitely wasn't from Earth), and Kamelion was even a shape-shifting robot. In NuWho, Jack was human but from another planet in the 51st century. He wasn't a full-time Companion, but I think he counts. Also, River kinda counts too. She's not 100% human and even though her parents are contemporary humans, she was raised/lived in lots of different timelines and planets.

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

It was relatively fun. Other than the moment of "I divorced you because we never bothered to have a 5-minute conversation about how sad I am that I can't have kids so I thought I'd 'let you go'"--which was utterly stupid.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yeah. I don't buy for a minute that Amy would believe Rory wants to have children more than he wants to be with her. It was just contrived cheap drama that came out of nowhere because the writers couldn't figure out what else to do with the Ponds.

10. Artemis@BC

^ ITA. And considering how short a lifespan the Ponds now have, you'd think they could have come up with something better.

But at least it only lasted a couple of minutes.

11. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Yeah, that was the dumbest and cheapest cop out ever. Other than that I quite liked Oswin and I actually hope she is connected to the new companion in some way, if only because I'm going to be royally confused when I re-watch NewWho s7 if the actress plays two different parts. :lol:

12. Artemis@BC

Well, I enjoyed ep. 2, although I did think it was a bit random having "Nephie" and the big game hunter dude along for the ride. If they were bringing Rory's dad onboard, even if only for 1 episode, it would have highlighted his presence better without the extra gang members. So I'm guessing they'll play a part again later in the season.

But then again ... any excuse to see Rupert Graves ... :swoon:

And I was kind of hoping we'd hear someone say "I am sick of these motherf*$ing dinosaurs on this motherf*$ing spaceship!" :D

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

Ayup!

Lots of fun moments though, the Doctor kissing Rory - then slappping him, "Any vegetation in your pants?" "Only my balls." The whole trowel exchange.

But oh man, all that foreshadowing - those looks the Doctor kept giving Amy. Do. Not. Like.

14. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Do not like the looks either. Creepy looks. Very very creepy looks.
    And adding to that it looks like we'll see more of the old monsters. Right ?

15. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

Yes, Jamie was an 18th Century Scot, Victoria was from the 19th Century, Leela an alien savage, and there's probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. So I don't think having contemporary humans is that much of a rule, although obviously it works from the point of view of involving the audience.

The first episode (we're a week behind here) was okay, but I'm also getting sick of the Daleks, and didn't like the whole soap opera thing going on with Amy and Rory (although he's still getting some of the best lines).

Doesn't help that SF channel here have started to repeat the Jon Pertwee stories, so I'm getting nostalgic for classic Who!

16. Evilynn

True true. :) Despite the Ten-esque grim!dark conclusion and foreshadowing, it felt like a kinda fluffy episode.

17. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I loved it. I like the lighter tone they've taken so far this season, save for the few uncomfortably dark moments. It was just a fun ride of an episode. I actually got a little emotional when Solomon killed the triceratops. Clearly I have a problem.
    Also got super excited when I realized the robots were voiced by Robert Webb and David Mitchell. I LOVE their sketch show.

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I need to check out that sketch show. I didn't recognize the voices but I thought the pacing of the banter was excellent. Very funny.

I was amazed that the first dino's sweeping tail didn't destroy the Tardis.

Someone please tell me what other character Rory's dad has played?
    Ah, checked IMDB: He's MR WEASLEY!!!! Could *not* figure it out while watching the other night.

19. Artemis@BC

Me too! But then I thought ... nah, she hurtles through space and time, what's a little horned dino tail to her?

The lack of flaming red hair might have hampered your recognition. :D

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I haven't stayed current on the "new season programs" thread, so this may be old news, but according to an article on Armin M. on ice network, he's using music from Dr Who for his free program this season.

21. Artemis@BC

Will his costume incorporate a bow tie? And/or a fez? :D

22. znachki

znachki Active Member

:lol:

The scarf is probably out. Although if he was an Ice Dancer he could use it in an exhibition piece.

23. Evilynn

I'm not sure I've ever seen him skate, but I think I just became a fan! :cheer2:

24. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Not that that isn't kind of awesome, but this piece of news made me think of Blades of Glory. Will he be portraying the TARDIS at some point in the program? Will there be choreo indicating he is running from the Daleks? Or will he try to mimic the movements of the Daleks themselves? :lol:
    OMG, I might have to check back in with figure skating this season just to see that. I've become such a jaded fan, but if someone's doing a Dr Who program I just might have to start following it on a regular basis again.

25. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Fezzes are cool. Bowties are cool.

I always thought that a synchro program of Daleks vs Cybermen would be fun.

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Here's Armin's program from a summer comp. He's skating at the Senior B in Salt Lake City this weekend, so we'll get a chance to see it again and see if he has a costume designed for the program.

According to the notes on the video, them music is Sad Man with a Box from the Murray Gold soundtrack.

27. znachki

znachki Active Member

oops wrong thread

28. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Holy crap, the music choice is kind of awesome. I am really interested to seeing how this develops over the season!

29. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

Thats from season 5. I had thought that some of the music from the season 5 soundtrack would make a good figure skating program:D. I'm excited to see how it ends up.

30. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. Most seasons feature music that would make for fascinating programs.

2. "A Town Called Mercy" is easily my favourite episode of this young season.

3. Structurally, these episodes remind me of David Tennant's last specials. Wish they equalled them in heft, though.