Doctor Who, season 7.5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Mar 25, 2013.

1. znachki

znachki Active Member

2. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Firefly is one of my favourite TV series ever. As for sparkly vampires, they should indeed be staked on site, along with their sulky teenage friends.

3. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I'm really glad I could watch this ep right away, otherwise I'd have to avoid half the internet now. It's amazing how quickly people dig into the details and start analysing them to Gallifrey and back. :)

4. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Awesome! :cheer2:

Gives me a reason to actually watch the 50th special.

I'm kinda hoping it's not Human Ten and Rose though. I don't want Moffat to screw with them. I never felt that he wrote those 2 very well (yeah, I know Girl in the Fireplace is a fan favorite eppie, but I felt 10, Rose and even Mickey were all out of character in that eppie. You could've substituted 11 and Amy and they'd have made far more sense in that ep than 10 and Rose did. IMO, Moffat just didn't get 10.).

5. Sofia Alexandra

I, on the other hand, would LOVE to see Rose and Human!Ten meet Eleven, just to see what they make of him. Ten got pretty dark at times, and Ten.5 was "born in battle", but they both still have a degree of humanity and mercy to them, whereas Eleven, beneath that veneer of quirky antics, seems more accepting of his role as a dark god of time and space, even if he doesn't like it.

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I love David Tennant, but after watching the eps back-to-back over the course of several days I got tired of him too. Matt Smith was such a breath of fresh air after the increased amount of melodrama of the last few Tennant specials. Ugh.
    And Billie Piper is coming back?! I thought they weren't bringing back any companions. Where have I been reading this crap? Ergh, I shouldn't trust the internet.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm excited about Rose, she was not my favourite companion and I wasn't sorry to see her go. Human-10 could be interesting -- the only time we saw him he was borderline catatonic so we have no idea what kind of personality he has. And while agree 10 was getting tedious by the end of his run, I blame RTD more than Tennant (David Tennant can do no wrong in my book), and I think Tennant and Smith riffing off each other with some great Moffat script could be amazing.

But meanwhile back to the "Bells of St John" (brilliant title btw even if it only really had any meaning for the very beginning) ... thank you very much Steven Moffat for turning another modern convenience into a threat to humanity! (Although the repeated references to "the wifi" bothered me in its factual ambiguity.) Can someone remind me, though: did The Doctor know it was The Great Intelligence behind things, or is it only us who know because we saw the final conversation between The Intelligence and the Celia Imrie character?

Best line:
    Clara: "When you say 'mobile phone,' why do you point at that blue box?"
    The Doctor: "Because it's a surprisingly accurate description."

:lol:

8. znachki

znachki Active Member

I was so ready for Rose to go, and I never really liked the whole romance thing. While I'm not as big a Tennant fan, I agree that RTD's writing had more to do with that than with Tennant's acting.

After watching the Third Doctor special on BBCA, I completely see where Moffat got the inspiration to do that all the time. He commented that he was completely terrified by the Autons and the idea that something as ordinary as a shop dummy could be a menace.

You know, I'm not sure. My viewing was a little distracted by other stuff. I don't think he did, but I'll need to watch it again.

I know, I just howled!

Over all I thought it was a good episode 7 of 10. Mostly because Clara tells him no, and says come back tomorrow, maybe I'll say yes. And..."Snog Box"

9. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

thank you so much for that link I really enjoyed the trip back down memory lane with the Dr Who I grew up with as a child in England in the 70's.. so interesting that now my own daughter (23) posted on her facebook after the weekend how much she enjoyed watching the premier with her tardis mug drinking tea :) I used to hide behind the couch as a small child when the daleks came on the screen :lol:

10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I think I will love Clara like I did with Donna. Both are very intelligent companion, and do not fall for the Doctor.
    I kind of cracked up at the "Doctor Who?" repetition by the girl who died twice. I kind of wonder what her arc is. I miss the Ponds so much :(

11. Sofia Alexandra

So, The Rings of Akhaten. Any thoughts? Apart from "What the hell just happened?"
    I mean, really? They destroyed the god-sun-thing with the power of a... leaf? And some very repetive singing? And everybody was really happy even though their flippin' SUN had just disappeared, leaving the seven inhabited rocks of Akhaten to do what, exactly? Just float away into the freezing blackness of space? Yeah, great job, Doctor! :huh:
    Yeah, bring on the next ep, which features Ser Davos Seaworth as a submarine captain! :)

12. znachki

znachki Active Member

An object imbued with pyschic significance. All the infinite unrealized possibilities. I thought it was cool. I didn't think it was the sun, but then I usually watch these things a couple of times, and I haven't watched it again.

Neil Cross has another Who episode coming up. We shall see.

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

After watching the episode again, I think the answer is, no, the Doctor does not know that The Great Intelligence was behind it. Which seems to indicate that TGI is going to be back.

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, my dad and I spent more time with "That system must have really interesting gravity" and "And then the sun became a white dwarf and EVERYBODY DIED!" than the actual episode. Okay, that, and "It's a giant pumpkin!" Meanwhile on Skype my brother and I at the same time went "Wait, the guy in the box is just the harbinger of the giant amorphous planet-eating monster in the gas blob? So, their god is Galactus and the dude in the box is a really ugly/old Silver Surfer?"

For those seeking to watch Classic Who, bear in mind unfortunately there are chunks missing, especially the oldest episodes. The BBC taped over them. As in the masters are gone to save money on buying tapes. Some serials have endings missing, too, which is especially annoying.

15. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I really didn't like this episode. I spent most of the episode playing on my phone. :shuffle:

Also, I really liked the first two incarnations of Clara but I'm not sure I like this one. I'm really hoping she grows on me.

16. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

This is true. The cost of video tape was hideously expensive in the early days, and TV producers actually had to make special requests for tapes to be kept beyond an initial repeat of the programme, otherwise they would be automatically wiped. It's a wonder as much survived as it did. A lot of the surviving early Doctor Who episodes were actually recovered from foreign broadcasters (e.g. the ABC in Australia) who had bought the programmes.
    I'm trying not to like her. I've liked all the new Doctor Who companions when they started out, but (with the exception of Donna) they've all come to irritate me over the course of their tenure. So it's probably best I don't like Clara too much!

ETA: Just finished watching The Rings of Akhaten. What the hell was that?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  17. Sofia Alexandra

I'm not really feeling anything about Clara, as such, but I really do wish that, just once, there'd be a female companion who WASN'T all spunky and outgoing and full of moxie. I want a quietly awesome introvert companion to relate to, dangit! :p

18. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

The closest companion to this description would probably be Nyssa. I liked her

I'm not feeling Clara-too Mary Sue Ingenue.

I was hoping for someone different. They've never introduced another companion like Leela. (Very Hunger Games, Vikings, dystopian) Doctor Who: "Savage. Found floating down the Amazon in a hatbox"
    Leelaisms "Knife them in the neck" More appropriate for mid-April: "These 'taxes', they are like sacrifices to tribal gods?"

19. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I have to say, these three episodes have been rather meh. I like Clara, if only because the actress is better than Karen Gillan.

I frankly think the Doctor has been less effective as a character since Steven Moffat started running the show.

20. MarieM

I don't know where the hell Moff it leading us to, but I bet these episodes are crucial. We'll know in a bit ;)

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm just frustrated by how "PERFECT" Clara is--smart, ready for adventure, witty, compassionate and loving and protective, willing to sacrifice the world's most important leaf EVER. She needs to acquire some flaws!

22. Sofia Alexandra

So what did y'all think about Hide? I quite liked it; there were some really creepy moments, and I have a bit of a thing for intelligent, middle-aged men, so the Professor dude was right up my alley. :p

I was a bit annoyed with the ending though,
    when it turned out that, yet again, the whole thing was about Clara. Yes, she's a mystery, and the Doctor is trying to figure her out, but do we really need to have that hammered into our heads in every damn episode? Subtlety, it's a thing! It was the same thing with those glowing cracks that kept being zoomed in on at the end of just about every ep in series 5. They would've been a lot creepier if they'd just been there, somewhere in the background of every episode, easily missed until you suddenly realise they're everywhere. Like the words "Bad Wolf" in series 1.
    And speaking of series 1; the one thing I missed in Hide was an intertextual reference, however passing, to the Gelth. That would've been neat.
    But still, I liked it. Definitely my favourite of the series so far. :)

23. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

My opinion is the same. I don't think Moffatt is capable of being subtle... At least I enjoyed the episode!

24. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm with the majority - The singing eppy sucked. Even my Whovian son hated it. I'm like "so, she sings the right song or they all burst into flames?" I was rooting for the sun.

Not a fan of the sub episode, but watching Liam Cunningham and that other guy from Rome/GOT was fun. Looks like they blew the budget on the CGI ship and used a leftover costume from 'sea hunt' for the Martian general.

I think my favorite line from the ghost episode was 'he's got a sliver of ice in his heart'. Is our Doc still not 100% committed? And why was he scared when chased by ugly critter?

Clara annoys me. Too many wide eyed hair flicking moments with the character. A bit of a bumbler too. I don't get why the doc is so intrigued with her. But, I might still have lingering Pond love and miss the old doctor? :shuffle:

25. znachki

znachki Active Member

There certainly was some gorgeous cinematography in the episode though. There was a shot of the Ice Warrior and a couple of the doctor that I thought exceptional. It's always interesting what they come up with when they are constrained by setting.

26. Sofia Alexandra

So the series is over, and the next stop is the 50th anniversary, on November 23. I definitely get the feeling that most of the creative writing juices has gone into the 50th, rather than the series itself, cos the series was overall pretty meh, but the 50th looks like it's going to be epic. Unless it's just another big, messy anti-climax, but let's hope for the best, eh?

I had great hopes for Nightmare in Silver, what with it being penned by Neil Gaiman and all, but it was rather hit and miss. The kids were annoying (especially the constantly bored girl), and I don't see why they were in the episode in the first place. And why the hell were they told to have a nap while the Doctor investigated the cybugs, instead of being dropped off back home? I thought the whole point of the TARDIS was that it's a time machine that can take people to the end of the universe and back in five seconds, which would be a great way to avoid putting the kids in danger. But I guess that's not how the Doctor rolls.

However, I am a big fan of body horror and mind possession, so the scenes where the Doctor was battling the Cyber-Planner were awesome. But not as awesome as the sun creature possession in 42, or whatever the hell it was that possessed the Doctor in Midnight. You'd think that the Doctor would be at least somewhat terrified of having his mind and body hijacked by evolved Cybermen, but he just acted like it was no big deal. Which, I guess, is also how he rolls these days.

The Name of the Doctor = jumbled, illogical, anticlimactic. Oh no, the Doctor has to go to Trenzalore, where the First Question will be asked and no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer! Unless it's the Doctor, apparently. With a little help from River, who just happens to know everything needed to move the plot forwards. HOW does she know it? "Spoilers!" Will the Silence show up to stop the Question from being answered? Nah, let's introduce these random Whispermen instead, since the people on Earth killed all the Silence, cos it's not like there are any of them elsewhere in the Universe...

Oh no, The Great Intelligence has infected the Doctor's time stream, destroying his every victory! Because the GI has been so successful at that before? Oh no, Jenny died! LOL no, she's fine. Oh no, Madam Vastra had to shoot Strax! But why is she acting like she has no idea where he went? Oh no, the stars are going out, cos there's no way to give the audience a sense of danger unless the whole damn Universe is in jeopardy! Now let's stand around and talk for five minutes. The mystery is revealed! Clara has met the Doctor not just twice before, but dozens or hundreds of times, because her SOLE PURPOSE in all her many lives is to help/save the Doctor? :wall: Yeah, we get it, she the Best Companion Ever, since she's been there right from the start, but what about HER life? What are HER interests, what does SHE like to do, apart from soufflés? There's a lot of telling rather than showing when it comes to Clara (and River); we're TOLD who she is, but she rarely gets a chance to really show it.

And then there was the ending with John Hurt and I was like ooooooh, the anniversary's gonna be awesome! I've seen some theories about which incarnation of the Doctor Hurt plays, and the one I like the most so far is
    that he's a “lost” incarnation from between Eight and Nine, one who didn't call himself the Doctor because he was the warrior who, by killing both the Time Lords and the Daleks, put an end to the Time War. I miss the Daleks, by the way.

Of course, he could be the Valeyard, but from what I've heard that might contradict what's been said about the Valeyard before?

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:rofl: This is so true! Everything the Doctor does has Universal consequences!! The Universe is in peril EVERY WEEK!!! (Usually wrt humans. London especially. Victorian London, more often than not.)

Plus, she smirks a lot. That bugs me for some reason.

I like your spoiler theory. Contradictions aside. dd (who's watched a few more of the Old Who eps than I have) pointed out that the Eye of Harmony had been utterly destroyed at some point. . . and then showed up in a recent episode :lol:

28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I really hate the whole "tell, not show" BS Moffatt does. And we just know there will be some romance plot between the Doctor and Clara. Ugh.

I hate River. I hope she's gone forever. She is the plot device and has no purpose. Same with Clara, who I like and am irritated she has no purpose other than to save the Doctor.

29. MarieM

I love River. I miss her :(

30. Sofia Alexandra

Matt Smith will leave Doctor Who after this year's Christmas Special.

I can't say I'm particularly affected by Matt leaving, I'm mostly just eager/curious/apprehensive about who'll be the Twelfth Doctor. I'm hoping for some slightly older bloke, 30+ at least - or just someone who doesn't act like a kid who's just drained a sixpack of Redbull. :p A female Doctor could be awesome too, buuut perhaps not with the current set of writers...

Thoughts? Feels?