Doctor Who, season 7.5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

The Doctor returns on Saturday, along with (I'm assuming) some iteration of Clara / Oswin.

:cheer2:

Who else is excited?

I actually dumped my upper-tier cable channels a couple of months ago, but thankfully can still watch online. And Space in Canada is really good about making stuff available right away.

BTW, there's a neat little prequel teaser if you're interested. The Bells of St John Prequel

2. znachki

znachki Active Member

ME ME! ME! Like you didn't know that. :lol:

This whole 50th anniversary year has me very excited. BBC America is doing a special a month for all of the Doctors, "The Doctors Revisited". So far we've had 1 and 2. They talk about the show an the Doctor, and have various folks talikng about them - including former companions - and then show a story. So 1 was the Aztecs and 2 was Tomb of the Cybermen. I think that one can find parts of it on You Tube.

3. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Can't wait. :D

4. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

Bah sorry, I missed this thread and bumped the old one. I am super excited! I'm even off work Saturday so I can actually watch it on time for once.

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

**raises hand** Doctor Who is the only reason I pay for BBC America, otherwise known as the Top Gear channel.

Can't wait to see what Oswin has in store for us. I like her - she's smart and spunky.

6. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

7. Artemis@BC

Oooh, goodie, I discovered last night that I have "The Snowmen" still on my DVR. Guess what I'm watching on Saturday afternoon?

I wonder if the apparent timelessness of Clara will be revealed in "The Bells of St John," or if Moffat will string the mystery out over the rest of the season?

Coincidentally, I'm reading a novel right now that features as one of its themes the concept of the Zen "time being" -- not someone who is timeless or near-imortal, but rather who exists entirely in the present, in the now. Mix that with Doctor Who and you get some very wibbly-wobbly stuff!

8. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Can't wait even though I am sick of Matt Smith. :rofl: It's like crack, you can't stop.

The baby is surely excited. See, he dances when he hears the theme song. (He also dances with skating if I show it to him on Youtube. Raisin' this kid right!)

9. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Well, just in case you're interested ;) the actors were given their scripts for the 50th anniversary special last week (Matt Smith interview). It's apparently being filmed in 3D. It's a huge finale episode according to the main actors, with a secret revealed.

Royal Mail/Post Office stamps 50th anniversary collection:

http://www.postofficeshop.co.uk/IWC...erchant_Id=233&Catalog_Id=152&Section_Id=5317

10. znachki

znachki Active Member

Awww.. that is adorable! Good work mom!

I saw that. I don't really care about the 3-D part, but I hope the rest will be good. I'm now going to try to ignore it all because I don't want my expectations to be too high. What I really want is a multi-doctor episode. What I really, really want is a multi-doctor episode with Doctor #8 Paul McGann.

11. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Again, if anyone is in the So. cal area on friday, Wondercon is screening Bells of St. John a day early, as well as a new show, Orphan Black.

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm glad it's back!

13. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I've just caught up with the last series of DW, and I've got me a Hola Unblocker, so I'll be watching the new ep on BBCiPlayer come Sunday! :rollin:

I still don't like Smith as much as I liked Tennant and Eccleston, but I'm fascinated by how brutal he is, despite his childlike and quirky (and sometimes annoying) antics. I'm hoping to see more of that darker side in series 7b, though I may be the only one. :p

14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Guess I'd better get around to watching the Christmas special, huh? :D

15. znachki

znachki Active Member

I got a bit tired of Tennant's Doctor, but I think that had more to do with the way he was scripted.

I do, however, love Smith's Doctor for the very reason you do. He can be dark, and I think that the best Doctors have that dark edge. It's really no surprise that Smith's Doctor is the way he is, since it is widely known that he based his Doctor after Troughton's after seeing "Tomb of the Cybermen".

I was also a fan of McCoy's Doctor, even though some ofthe scripts weren't so good. He was more than a little manipulative.

16. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Not to mention that he's nearing the valeyard point

17. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

You really should, it was quite good.

18. Sofia Alexandra

I need to start watching ye olde seasons of DW. I suppose they can be found on the internet somewhere, but I have too much stuff to do to go looking for them right now.

19. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

So who all is confirmed to be in the 50th anniversary special? I heard David Tennant will be back, and Christopher Eccelston might be reappearing too. Any other old Doctors on board?

20. Artemis@BC

A lot of them are available on DVD (and my library has them in their collection. have I mentioned today how much I love my library?). They've been releasing them in chunks ever since the series reboot in 2005. Some of them are less than perfect technically (and the classic Who always had a very low-budget look, part of its charm), but still a lot of fun to watch.

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

oooh, I would LOVE it if they could get CE/#9 back. . . I know he's been reluctant to be linked with anything Dr Who due to the strange manner in which his departure went down, but I wish he could have stuck around another season. His doctor was fascinating to me. And FANTASTIC!

22. Sofia Alexandra

I highly doubt there's any library anywhere near me that has any DW dvds available, and I don't really have the budget to buy them all. I live in hope that the Swedish edition of Netflix will get its act together and make some classic DW available for viewing, cos right now they've only got series 1 - 5 of the reboot.

Also, I would LOVE to see Eccleston return. They say you'll always love your first Doctor the most, and he was the one for me. :)

23. znachki

znachki Active Member

That could be interesting, but I wonder if they'll figure out a way to put it off, since the Valeyard isn't supposed to show up until near his last regeneration. I can't see them stopping at Doctor 13 if the ratings hold up. Too much money.

Have they actually positively confirmed anyone? I do know a few weeks back that John Barrowman made a comment that ad the interwebs buzzing that he'd be back, but later he basically retracted what he'd said. However, I think that this kind of thing has happened with him more than once. He seem to have a big mouth.

24. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

There was a line in an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures that Matt Smith guested in where he tells Clyde that he can regenerate 507 times. However many fans don't think that the line counts. There is another theory that when River gives the Doctor her regenerations in Let's Kill Hitler that it reset the Doctors regenerations.

They haven't confirmed anyone besides Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman. David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston have been asked by the media about it and they've both been really vague in response. Which is more notable for Eccleston because he has always said that he wouldn't be back before.
    And I just realised that I have no links for the interviews with Eccleston and Tennant. I saw screencaps on Tumblr one day, I never thought to save the links, sorry

25. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Are you my long lost twin? :lol: I also got tired of Tennant's Doctor and prefer Smith. And we should probably form a club of the half dozen people who think McCoy's Doctor was vastly under-rated. I finally got around to buying 'Battlefield' on DVD, and 'Curse of Fenric' is next on my hit list.

I'm dithering about watching the new season. I was going to give up on Doctor Wh as I didn't want to be one of these people who watched and complained it wasn't the same as in the old days. But I really enjoyed the Christmas special, so now I can't make up my mind whether to watch or not!

26. Sofia Alexandra

27. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

Because I started watching the show when Space was doing a marathon of the Tennant specials then airing The Eleventh Hour, I ended up getting caught up on the first 4 seasons of Who while watching season 5 and while I enjoyed Tennant, I preferred Eccleston and Smith. Tennant was so over the top so often, and I found Russel T. Davies writing lacking sometimes. While the show has gotten more twisty and wibbly wobbly, I find the overall story arc a lot more satisfying.

I'm really looking forward to the new episode, I loved Amy & Rory as companions but by the end I was getting kind of tired of them and how messed up things always were with them and the Doctor. I think Clara might be just what the show needs. If the Christmas special is any indication it should definitely be entertaining.

28. znachki

znachki Active Member

I don't know. How do you feel about Firefly, and do you think that sparkly vampires should be staked on site?

Aww, c'mon, you know you want to...

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

That whole saga was quite interesting, and kudos to all for not airing the laundry back then, which was I'm sure done so that the show would survive. Lately it seems to me from reading between the lines, that there was more than a little bit of head-butting between Eccleston and RTD. It really must have been a bad experience for Eccleston to be that turned off. I mean, there is a difference between "I'm moving on" and "I don't ever want to talk about it".

30. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I still haven't watched any of season 7 :( . Smith is probably my favourite Doctor, he is so crazy :D, then Eccleston and then Tennant, even if I love seasons 3 and 4, which were the first I've watched. Frankly, since I watched the series out of order, I was baffled when I watched season 2 because David Tennant was so harsh that I wondered how anyone warmed up to him, I do like him a lot in interviews and it made me like him better as the Doctor. Chris Eccleston is, well, fantastic! One of my favourite actors! I recall seeing an interview he did on the Jonathan Ross show where Jonathan showed him an action doll of the himself as the Doctor and Chris was absolutely surprised by it, he didn't have a clue it would be made, so it made me wonder about what else he wasn't told that could have turned him off working on the series.